Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What purpose is the Church?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What purpose is the Church? (Read 8,446 times)
Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

What purpose is the Church?
Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I really like the Westminster Shorter Catechism (at least the first question):

The chief end of man is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.

It kind of begs the question as to the meaning of "glorify," and that's probably a topic in itself worthy of discussion, but it seems to me that we will do this (glorify God and enjoy him forever) the best at the end of time.  The Bible says, "now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known" (1 Corinthians 13:12).

This makes me wonder, why are we "still here"?

I don't believe it's "to learn."  I don't believe it's "to evangelize."

My own answer for this question is that our purpose is to reflect God--to him, to one another, and to the world.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

JDD
LNF Majority Leader

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: What purpose is the Church?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This makes me wonder, why are we "still here"? I don't believe it's "to learn." †I don't believe it's "to evangelize." My own answer for this question is that our purpose is to reflect God--to him, to one another, and to the world.

Thoughts?

Your thoughts sound good to me. It seems we glorify God first by accepting His Sons sacrifice and placing our faith in Him, then live our lives to the best of our ability according to His instructions and principles in Scripture. Be good citizens in our community and always be ready to give a reason for the hope within us (witness for Jesus and what He means to us). By doing this we are loving (& thus Glorifying) God and our neighbor, in those two laws we are fulfilling the rest. † (-: †

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:

It kind of begs the question as to the meaning of "glorify," and that's probably a topic in itself worthy of discussion, but it seems to me that we will do this (glorify God and enjoy him forever) the best at the end of time. †The Bible says, "now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known" (1 Corinthians 13:12).

I don't believe it's "to learn." †I don't believe it's "to evangelize."
Evangelism is certainly part of it, though not the chief aim IMHO.

Quote:
My own answer for this question is that our purpose is to reflect God--to him, to one another, and to the world.

Thoughts?

I agree with your thoughts. God seems to want to be glorified by vessels of clay. He is glorified even through our weakness.

IP Logged

Gristle
LNF Representative

Mistrust of government
is robust mental health

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:

It kind of begs the question as to the meaning of "glorify," and that's probably a topic in itself worthy of discussion, but it seems to me that we will do this (glorify God and enjoy him forever) the best at the end of time.  The Bible says, "now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known" (1 Corinthians 13:12).

I don't believe it's "to learn."  I don't believe it's "to evangelize."

Thoughts?

I have always seen purpose of the church, any church, as an institution of fellow believers for providing coffee, donuts, protection from the weather and a place to compare note for those seeking the kingdom of God within themselves.

Individuals can exist without government but government cannot exist without individuals

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 4:53am
Print Post  
I think church serves many purposes. First of all, it is a great opportunity to give God praise and worship as the body of Christ. Secondly, it helps us to grow with each other as we work together in service and fellowship. And thirdly, it allows us a means to follow Jesus' command to spread the Gospel to the world.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Gristle wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:01pm:
I have always seen purpose of the church, any church, as an institution of fellow believers for providing coffee, donuts, protection from the weather and a place to compare note for those seeking the kingdom of God within themselves.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~wterrell/william.gif

I don't think that's what Jesus intended when he described the church he would build--the one against which the gates of hell would not prevail.

IP Logged

alph
LNF Staffer2

Independent

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 7:36am
Print Post  
I havenít gone to church since December 1999 when it seemed every preacher out there was talking doom and gloom over y2k.  I personally believe the church is as fake as its people, you know the ones that whip you the bird as they drive out of the parking lot because you didnít stop for them to cut in front of you.  The ones that see you struggling with your snow shovel as they put their snow blower away.  The ones that youíve seen come out of church on Sunday, as you serve them a beer at the bar.  When you see your boss with a cross on his desk, and the roomers of him cheating on his wife.  When you see the preacher drives a Lexus, and has Raccoon eyes from skiing in the Rockies all last month, and he doesnít pay a cent in tax.  The church thatís designed as Disneyworld made too entertain more then it shares the word.  Rock concert quality sound systems that make your ears ring after the service. 

None of us are good; itís just a sin to act like your better then the rest of us Ďcause YOUR forgiven.

I think the church is a waste of time, put 10% into your retirement; youíll get more out of it in the long run.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
alph wrote on Sep 15th, 2008 at 7:36am:
I havenít gone to church since December 1999 when it seemed every preacher out there was talking doom and gloom over y2k. †I personally believe the church is as fake as its people, you know the ones that whip you the bird as they drive out of the parking lot because you didnít stop for them to cut in front of you. †The ones that see you struggling with your snow shovel as they put their snow blower away. †The ones that youíve seen come out of church on Sunday, as you serve them a beer at the bar. †When you see your boss with a cross on his desk, and the roomers of him cheating on his wife. †When you see the preacher drives a Lexus, and has Raccoon eyes from skiing in the Rockies all last month, and he doesnít pay a cent in tax. †The church thatís designed as Disneyworld made too entertain more then it shares the word. †Rock concert quality sound systems that make your ears ring after the service. †

None of us are good; itís just a sin to act like your better then the rest of us Ďcause YOUR forgiven.

I think the church is a waste of time, put 10% into your retirement; youíll get more out of it in the long run.

Are all your generalities true?  All the time?

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
alph wrote on Sep 15th, 2008 at 7:36am:
I havenít gone to church since December 1999 when it seemed every preacher out there was talking doom and gloom over y2k. †I personally believe the church is as fake as its people, you know the ones that whip you the bird as they drive out of the parking lot because you didnít stop for them to cut in front of you. †The ones that see you struggling with your snow shovel as they put their snow blower away. †The ones that youíve seen come out of church on Sunday, as you serve them a beer at the bar. †When you see your boss with a cross on his desk, and the roomers of him cheating on his wife. †When you see the preacher drives a Lexus, and has Raccoon eyes from skiing in the Rockies all last month, and he doesnít pay a cent in tax. †The church thatís designed as Disneyworld made too entertain more then it shares the word. †Rock concert quality sound systems that make your ears ring after the service. †

wow!  all that happened at your church.  maybe you should have a look at different fellowships.  you've clearly had some negative personal experiences... the whole pastor Disneyland church thing?  wow!

IP Logged

joe_christian
LNF Speaker

Religious Rights

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Quote:

It kind of begs the question as to the meaning of "glorify," and that's probably a topic in itself worthy of discussion, but it seems to me that we will do this (glorify God and enjoy him forever) the best at the end of time. †The Bible says, "now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known" (1 Corinthians 13:12).

I don't believe it's "to learn." †I don't believe it's "to evangelize."

Thoughts?

The chief way to glorify, enjoy and reflect God forever is to be a Christian ambassador to the nations as representatives of the King and the Kindom of Heaven, teaching all people everything God has commanded.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=great+commission&FORM=MSNH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What purpose is the Church?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog