Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What purpose is the Church?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What purpose is the Church? (Read 8,445 times)
alph
LNF Staffer2

Independent

Re: What purpose is the Church?
Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
wow!  all that happened at your church.  maybe you should have a look at different fellowships.  you've clearly had some negative personal experiences... the whole pastor Disneyland church thing?  wow!

My brother goes to a church in phoenix AZ that was designed from the same architect that designed the Disneyland adventure park in LA.  Church shouldn't be about entertainment, wooing people to come in just to experience the latest show.  If Christ was around today he'd be turning over tables just like in his day.  The church as a building should not be a reflection of the people that attend it, all show.  Ask nearly anyone that professes to be a Christian and very few know the laws that they are to live by.  And the greatest law was to love they neighbor as your self. 

I have attended several churches and haven't found many differences in them, although that one black church in Louisiana was my favorite, those people were real, you can often tell when someone's giving you bologna.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
alph wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:19am:
My brother goes to a church in phoenix AZ that was designed from the same architect that designed the Disneyland adventure park in LA.

That's bad?  An architect can be qualified to do more than just design the same thing.  If an architect that designed my church building designed office buildings, that doesn't make my church building an office building.

Quote:
Church shouldn't be about entertainment, wooing people to come in just to experience the latest show.

You're right.  They should be wooing people to come in and experience the Living God.  How do you tell the difference?

Quote:
If Christ was around today he'd be turning over tables just like in his day.

It's amazing how many people know exactly what Christ would do and say today in every situation...

Quote:
The church as a building should not be a reflection of the people that attend it, all show.

Is that the same thing?  The people that attend it=a show?  What should the building reflect?

Quote:
Ask nearly anyone that professes to be a Christian and very few know the laws that they are to live by.  And the greatest law was to love they neighbor as your self.

Yes.  

Quote:
I have attended several churches and haven't found many differences in them, although that one black church in Louisiana was my favorite, those people were real, you can often tell when someone's giving you bologna.

How many were designed by architects that designed Disneyland?  At how many were you "flipped the bird"?

What is really your beef with attending church?

You started by posting a diatribe about what "churches are like," but now you say you attended a church in Louisiana in which people were real.  Is it possible there are more out there?

IP Logged

alph
LNF Staffer2

Independent

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
[quote author=Mercy For All link=1213059752/0#11 date=1221748068]

What is really your beef with attending church]

Well young luke, here’s my “Beef” with the church and why I haven’t attended since ’99.  And after thirty years of attending church I think I can be a good judge of character, or the lack there of.

First off, you’re all hypocrites.  Every single one.  You all say you’re pro-life but when one of your daughters gets knocked up, well, that abortion clinic sounds really good (I know a girl that got pregnant and both her parents told me that they would support her if she decided to kill the baby.  By the way, this Christian girl now has three kids, from two different guys, and still isn’t married).  I seriously can go on and on with stories like that.  It’s like saying all Muslims are terrorists, now I don’t believe that, but the right winged preacher does, and guess what, I’ll never attend a Muslim church either!

Your god is about as real as that “Darth Vader” character you post on your comments.  Does it make sense for an all loving god to send his arch enemy satan to the same planet as his precious creation, man?  Does it make sense to send a person to an eternal agonizing lake of fire, just for checking out a hot chick at the beach?  What about that guy in the bible that was banging a chick, then pulled out and shot his load on the floor, well, god killed him for “wasting his seed”.  No, not David, he just had his mistress’s husband killed so he could justify his adultery.  Not to mention Noah doing his own daughters? What the heck’s that about? Come on….

The thing that best describes all religion is this, the Christians hate the Catholics and Mormons, who hate the protestants, that hate the Jews, who want to kill Muslims that hate everyone that’s not one of them.  And to top it off, each one believes that only their “god” is the true god!!

You don’t get it and you never will, your so brain washed that church is the only thing you can think about.  And anything outside of your little world is against god, and should be considered a “sin”.  And that’s why you dislike me, I’m a sinner, and I don’t have a problem with that.

There was a time when anyone that questioned the church was beheaded.  What’s the difference if you kill them back then or you banish them to hell today?  The only difference is that your arrogance justifies your crimes. 

And yes I can call ALL of you guys hypocrites since you all say any one that commits a sin is going to hell, yet your bible says “judge not less yee be judged…”  there’s not a single one of you people that hasn’t said we non Christians are going to hell.  None of you are pure in heart, yet you look down on nonbelievers as being scum. 

Now on a serious note, let me tell you who I really am.  I’m the guy that would give you a kidney if you need it.  I’m the guy that stops on the side of the road to change your tire, I’m the guy that has given thousands of dollars away to total strangers because they couldn’t afford the necessities, several times.  I’m the guy that has mowed the widow’s grass because she was in the hospital.  I’m the guy that has watched many religious people forget how to “love thy neighbor” and yes, I’ve needed help many times, and no one has ever, never, helped me.  Yeah, I am bitter about the church, but until they start practicing what they preach, I have absolutely no use for them, or the god they pretend to reflect.

Now, that’s the end of my “diatribe”

Go ahead and "pick apart" my statements, go ahead and "fight", I don't care what you think, I don't care if your offended.

Al.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
alph wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:06pm:
Well young luke, here’s my “Beef” with the church and why I haven’t attended since ’99.  And after thirty years of attending church I think I can be a good judge of character, or the lack there of.

First off, you’re all hypocrites.  Every single one.

Ah.  We've met?

Quote:
You all say you’re pro-life but when one of your daughters gets knocked up, well, that abortion clinic sounds really good (I know a girl that got pregnant and both her parents told me that they would support her if she decided to kill the baby.  By the way, this Christian girl now has three kids, from two different guys, and still isn’t married).  I seriously can go on and on with stories like that.  It’s like saying all Muslims are terrorists, now I don’t believe that, but the right winged preacher does, and guess what, I’ll never attend a Muslim church either!

Sorry.  Besides the fact that I don't have any daughters, I completely disagree.  I know quite a few girls that have been "knocked up" and I have never and never will suggest or recommend abortion.  Nor would I if it was my daughter.  If my son "knocked up" someone else, I still would not recommend abortion, but would strongly encourage him to do the right thing and support the girl.

Quote:
Your god is about as real as that “Darth Vader” character you post on your comments.  Does it make sense for an all loving god to send his arch enemy satan to the same planet as his precious creation, man?  Does it make sense to send a person to an eternal agonizing lake of fire, just for checking out a hot chick at the beach?  What about that guy in the bible that was banging a chick, then pulled out and shot his load on the floor, well, god killed him for “wasting his seed”.  No, not David, he just had his mistress’s husband killed so he could justify his adultery.  Not to mention Noah doing his own daughters? What the heck’s that about? Come on….

Ah...so you're not a Christian?  But you don't have the integrity to abide by admin's rules that only Christians post on this board?  You also seemed to pass yourself off as a Christian at the beginning?  Wow.  Thanks for your positive example.

Quote:
The thing that best describes all religion is this, the Christians hate the Catholics and Mormons, who hate the protestants, that hate the Jews, who want to kill Muslims that hate everyone that’s not one of them.  And to top it off, each one believes that only their “god” is the true god!!

Wrong again.  I don't hate Catholics.  I don't hate Mormons.  I don't hate Jews.  Sorry for not fitting your stereotype.

Quote:
You don’t get it and you never will, your so brain washed that church is the only thing you can think about.  And anything outside of your little world is against god, and should be considered a “sin”.  And that’s why you dislike me, I’m a sinner, and I don’t have a problem with that.

Really?  I don't dislike you.  I dislike your "diatribe."  But see, I'm a sinner just like you.  So why would I have a problem with you for that?

Quote:
There was a time when anyone that questioned the church was beheaded.

When was that exactly?

Quote:
What’s the difference if you kill them back then or you banish them to hell today?  The only difference is that your arrogance justifies your crimes.  

I have yet to banish anybody to hell.  In fact, I don't know of any human being that has that capability.  What crimes have I committed, by the way?

Quote:
And yes I can call ALL of you guys hypocrites since you all say any one that commits a sin is going to hell, yet your bible says “judge not less yee be judged…”  there’s not a single one of you people that hasn’t said we non Christians are going to hell.  None of you are pure in heart, yet you look down on nonbelievers as being scum.  

I look on nonbelievers as being scum?  Wow.  You really don't know me.  And yet you insist that you do.  Who's arrogant?

Quote:
Now on a serious note, let me tell you who I really am.  I’m the guy that would give you a kidney if you need it.  I’m the guy that stops on the side of the road to change your tire, I’m the guy that has given thousands of dollars away to total strangers because they couldn’t afford the necessities, several times.  I’m the guy that has mowed the widow’s grass because she was in the hospital.  I’m the guy that has watched many religious people forget how to “love thy neighbor” and yes, I’ve needed help many times, and no one has ever, never, helped me.  Yeah, I am bitter about the church, but until they start practicing what they preach, I have absolutely no use for them, or the god they pretend to reflect.

Cool.  That I can understand.  If it makes any difference at all, I apologize on behalf of people that have proclaimed Christ, but not lived him.

Quote:

Cool.

Quote:
Go ahead and "pick apart" my statements, go ahead and "fight", I don't care what you think, I don't care if your offended.

Al.

Thanks for your permission. Cheesy

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
What is really your beef with attending church]

Well young luke, here’s my “Beef” with the church and why I haven’t attended since ’99.  And after thirty years of attending church I think I can be a good judge of character, or the lack there of.

First off, you’re all hypocrites.  Every single one.  You all say you’re pro-life but when one of your daughters gets knocked up, well, that abortion clinic sounds really good (I know a girl that got pregnant and both her parents told me that they would support her if she decided to kill the baby.  By the way, this Christian girl now has three kids, from two different guys, and still isn’t married).  I seriously can go on and on with stories like that.  It’s like saying all Muslims are terrorists, now I don’t believe that, but the right winged preacher does, and guess what, I’ll never attend a Muslim church either!

Your god is about as real as that “Darth Vader” character you post on your comments.  Does it make sense for an all loving god to send his arch enemy satan to the same planet as his precious creation, man?  Does it make sense to send a person to an eternal agonizing lake of fire, just for checking out a hot chick at the beach?  What about that guy in the bible that was banging a chick, then pulled out and shot his load on the floor, well, god killed him for “wasting his seed”.  No, not David, he just had his mistress’s husband killed so he could justify his adultery.  Not to mention Noah doing his own daughters? What the heck’s that about? Come on….

The thing that best describes all religion is this, the Christians hate the Catholics and Mormons, who hate the protestants, that hate the Jews, who want to kill Muslims that hate everyone that’s not one of them.  And to top it off, each one believes that only their “god” is the true god!!

You don’t get it and you never will, your so brain washed that church is the only thing you can think about.  And anything outside of your little world is against god, and should be considered a “sin”.  And that’s why you dislike me, I’m a sinner, and I don’t have a problem with that.

There was a time when anyone that questioned the church was beheaded.  What’s the difference if you kill them back then or you banish them to hell today?  The only difference is that your arrogance justifies your crimes. 

And yes I can call ALL of you guys hypocrites since you all say any one that commits a sin is going to hell, yet your bible says “judge not less yee be judged…”  there’s not a single one of you people that hasn’t said we non Christians are going to hell.  None of you are pure in heart, yet you look down on nonbelievers as being scum. 

Now on a serious note, let me tell you who I really am.  I’m the guy that would give you a kidney if you need it.  I’m the guy that stops on the side of the road to change your tire, I’m the guy that has given thousands of dollars away to total strangers because they couldn’t afford the necessities, several times.  I’m the guy that has mowed the widow’s grass because she was in the hospital.  I’m the guy that has watched many religious people forget how to “love thy neighbor” and yes, I’ve needed help many times, and no one has ever, never, helped me.  Yeah, I am bitter about the church, but until they start practicing what they preach, I have absolutely no use for them, or the god they pretend to reflect.

Al.

Wow, you're a complete idiot. Obviously, you have no idea what a Christian is or what going to church is all about. Frankly, I doubt you even went to church for three years, let alone 30.

Your ramblings look like they've been Joe Bidened from a typical anti-Christian handbook, complete with all the dumb misconceptions people like you buy into.

No doubt, though, you're right about non-believers like you going to hell. That's not judging, that's right out of the Bible.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:35am
Print Post  
First off, you’re all hypocrites.  Every single one.  You all say you’re pro-life but when one of your daughters gets knocked up, well, that abortion clinic sounds really good (I know a girl that got pregnant and both her parents told me that they would support her if she decided to kill the baby.  By the way, this Christian girl now has three kids, from two different guys, and still isn’t married).  I seriously can go on and on with stories like that.  It’s like saying all Muslims are terrorists, now I don’t believe that, but the right winged preacher does, and guess what, I’ll never attend a Muslim church either!

obviously you haven't posted here long enough to know too many people on LNF.  maybe wait a while to get to know someone before you call them hypocrites, judging them and then criticizing them for judging before you even know them....
btw, do you know the definition of irony?  just wondering.   Wink

Quote:

guess you've never bothered trying to understand the Bible.  did you actually read the Bible to find these examples or find them on a "you can ignorantly judge Christianity too!" website?

Quote:

again, you really don't know what you're talking about.  but thanks for showing up here to show us the error of our ways.
i actually have many friends and colleagues who are Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, etc.  and really like them a lot and get along with them well.

the issue about each believes that their "god" is the true god... um... if they're basing their entire life on relationship with that god, i guess they better believe that it's true... don't you think?
consider you're approaching it from a negative perspective thinking that you're right and they're all wrong.  does that about sum it up?

Quote:

actually there's a thread dealing with this exact issue.  try flipping through the forum before spouting off.   Tongue  

Quote:

except if they believe in God, i imagine.  then they're just worthy of your derision and prejudice.

Quote:

i seriously doubt it.  i think this isn't just a diatribe but central to your worldview.  you call people to account for judging, thereby judging them yourself.  you've created a post full of prejudice, judging people you don't know and can't be bothered to know.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
i seriously doubt it.  i think this isn't just a diatribe but central to your worldview.  you call people to account for judging, thereby judging them yourself.  you've created a post full of prejudice, judging people you don't know and can't be bothered to know.

Except some in Louisiana who apparently "passed" because they're "real" and somehow must be hypocrites at the same time because they're Christians...

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #17 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
First and foremost, the church exists as a place for Christians to come together to congregate, commune with, and praise and worship Jesus.

Jesus said that were two or more people gather in His name, He will be there - the church is the primary venue through which we provide organized, regular meetings to take full spiritual advantage of Jesus' implicit offer here. By making the most of that spiritual opportunity, we become part of the body of Christ, with the goal of becoming better human beings, and by extension, a light and salt unto the world.

Now, I think that the chief role of an individual Christian is to evangelize... but it needs to be noted that good evangelizing is at least as much a matter of reflecting the nature of God, and living a Godly life, as it is a matter of basic verbal/written persuasion. A spoken witness with out a living witness will not likely bear good fruits.

IP Logged

joe_christian
LNF Speaker

Religious Rights

Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Triple_R wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 8:55pm:
First and foremost, the church exists as a place for Christians to come together to congregate, commune with, and praise and worship Jesus.

Jesus said that were two or more people gather in His name, He will be there - the church is the primary venue through which we provide organized, regular meetings to take full spiritual advantage of Jesus' implicit offer here. By making the most of that spiritual opportunity, we become part of the body of Christ, with the goal of becoming better human beings, and by extension, a light and salt unto the world.

Now, I think that the chief role of an individual Christian is to evangelize... but it needs to be noted that good evangelizing is at least as much a matter of reflecting the nature of God, and living a Godly life, as it is a matter of basic verbal/written persuasion. A spoken witness with out a living witness will not likely bear good fruits.

Would you consider our dialogue here on the Internet a reasonable and plausible function of the Church?

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #19 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
joe_christian wrote on Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:06pm:
Would you consider our dialogue here on the Internet a reasonable and plausible function of the Church?

In a sense, yes. I don't think that internet gatherings between Christians can serve as a complete substitute for physical gatherings, but it can compliment physical gatherings I think.

I also think that you can definitely use the internet as an evangelizing tool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What purpose is the Church?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog