Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What purpose is the Church?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What purpose is the Church? (Read 8,444 times)
Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: What purpose is the Church?
Reply #30 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
kangkongking wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:02pm:
it's not just about mass every Sunday that's spreading the word of god. it's also about missionaries on religious missions go to different areas and teach and spread the word of the Lord. it's about peace corps spreading peace and volunteers that teaches children about the word of God. it's not just about praying but also doing good. and these people i believe, are the church.

Does mass spread the word of God?

IP Logged

kangkongking
LNF Intern10

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #31 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
you have a point.  Cheesy but you know, i bring friends with me during mass. friends who are in doubt and who are in the verge of not believing. so.. i think so.. in a way.  Smiley

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

Reply #32 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Quote:
Does mass spread the word of God?

Mass, and church services of all sorts, are ideally implicit invitations for anybody within reach of them to attend them. In other words... if you want to find out about the Word of God, you can do so by attending a church service.

Now, some churches can become overly comfortable closed communities - in other words, they're quite happy with the membership that they have right now, and they don't want to upset the group dynamics that they have going on by bringing new people into the fold. This is spiritually tragic, of course, as it causes the church to be more of an "old boys club" of sort than a primary instrument of spreading good news to the people. Once a church becomes an "old boys club" of sorts, its simply a closed-off Christian community - a place for some Christians to take spiritual comfort within, and also to provide them with a gathering place in which to socialize with others. Useful, but far from ideal.

I would say that almost everybody living in the western world is at least vaguely aware of Christianity, of Christianity's most basic principles and worldviews, and of where you can go to find out more about Christianity (i.e. churches). Hence, the implicit invitation of churches has value - they're there, in part, for when people start to give Christianity a second thought and decide to hence look into Christianity further.

However, Christians don't actively evangelize outside of a church setting much any more. Such a thing is necessary in order to effectively compliment the more passive form of evangelism offered by churches.

However, in fairness, Christians don't actively evangelize outside of a church setting much any more due to increased political correctness. In other words, if I started going door-to-door distributing Christian literature to people and trying to persuade them to become Christians while doing so, there's a very real chance that one or more of the people that I meet while doing that will complain to the government about my "bothersome" activities and try to shut me down. Heaven help me if I happen to run into a Muslim while doing so who makes a big stink about my actions...

I think that many Christians feel that more aggressive evangelism may even threaten our safer passive evangelism represented by the church. I think about many of the negative views about, and backlashes against, the relatively very evangelistic Jehovah's Witnesses.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #33 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Triple_R wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:48am:
Mass, and church services of all sorts, are ideally implicit invitations for anybody within reach of them to attend them. In other words... if you want to find out about the Word of God, you can do so by attending a church service. 

I disagree right off the top.  They may be in the right culture.  However, they certainly would not have been in the early Church suffering persecution from Rome, the Church under communist rule in Russia, China, etc.

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

Reply #34 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 5:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
I disagree right off the top.  They may be in the right culture.  However, they certainly would not have been in the early Church suffering persecution from Rome, the Church under communist rule in Russia, China, etc.

Why do you think that I focused on the western world? For churches to have the implicit invitation impact that I suggested, they must first exist in a culture where basic knowledge of Christianity is already widespread... as it is in the western world, but not necessarily in the examples that you listed.

I'll admit that the setting up of numerous churches is not the first step in spreading Christianity - the first step is making sure that as many people as possible are at least introduced to Christianity; that they at least have some basic knowledge about it. Hence, in Paul's time, the role of the traveling missionary is of great importance.

However, once basic knowledge of Christianity has spread, and you've already brought as many people into the Christian fold as you can through such spreading, then it's good to set up a large number of churches (at least one in each village, town, or city) - this is so that those left questioning will have a place that they can visit if they give Christianity a serious second look.

The Christian church has value, Mercy. Obviously the Christian church has value, or it would not be referenced directly by Jesus Christ on many occasions.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #35 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Triple_R wrote on Feb 15th, 2009 at 5:31am:
Why do you think that I focused on the western world? For churches to have the implicit invitation impact that I suggested, they must first exist in a culture where basic knowledge of Christianity is already widespread... as it is in the western world, but not necessarily in the examples that you listed.

I'll admit that the setting up of numerous churches is not the first step in spreading Christianity - the first step is making sure that as many people as possible are at least introduced to Christianity; that they at least have some basic knowledge about it. Hence, in Paul's time, the role of the traveling missionary is of great importance.

However, once basic knowledge of Christianity has spread, and you've already brought as many people into the Christian fold as you can through such spreading, then it's good to set up a large number of churches (at least one in each village, town, or city) - this is so that those left questioning will have a place that they can visit if they give Christianity a serious second look.

The Christian church has value, Mercy. Obviously the Christian church has value, or it would not be referenced directly by Jesus Christ on many occasions.

But wait a minute...my response wasn't talking about the missional aspect of the Church but the church service.  Obviously the Church is missional, but is the church service designed to be "an invitation" in every situation?  I say no, for the reasons already stated.

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

Reply #36 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
But wait a minute...my response wasn't talking about the missional aspect of the Church but the church service.  Obviously the Church is missional, but is the church service designed to be "an invitation" in every situation?  I say no, for the reasons already stated.

Oh, I see what you're saying now.

Well, most church services I've attended have altar calls after the message. That may not exist outside of the Salvation Army, and the Pentecost, denominations, though. These are the only two churches I've personally attended.

IP Logged

immortal
LNF Senior Staffer4
LNF Bunker

Reply #37 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
   What or who is the Church? My understanding to its purpose is salvation.  Its not a building as many know it, its what takes place in the building.
   Christ is salvation. The Temple or the Church both refer to salvation. Christ resides in the heart of man, two or more gathering in his name is Church, our bodies are Temples and within them can be our salvation if allowed. To sum it up Church is refered to by my opinion as the Bodys of cultures that live by way of "Church" people Undecided 
   Thats my understanding good or bad. What is rev refering to when it says "write these things and send them to the seven churches". I would think that the understanding of where these writings are to be sent, and the contents of the writings are key to true understanding of the Churches purpose. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What purpose is the Church?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog