Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › The Shack
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Shack (Read 5,238 times)
Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: The Shack
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
The only real issue I had with it was the criticism of all hierarchy and authority as human constructs which destroy relationship and are counter to God's purposes.

IP Logged

HarleyWoman
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never let another steal
your magnificence.

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
that the image of God closely resembles the Oracle from The Matrix.

the book presents God as Mother rather than Father, but all things considered it makes sense, given the context of the protagonist's life.  and since God works within context, i think it holds together well.

i hope most readers weren't expecting a burning bush.  it would be more Biblical, but less culturally relevant (to the protagonist or to the reader).

I believe he needed a mother figure at the time. Once he saw his father (which btw made me cry) he was then ready for a father figure.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It helped me with my own spirituality. Some of the things touched home with me, and made me sob, but it was a good thing. A healing moment.

I have a question. Seeing how he had been in the accident, and had not really spent the days there that he had thought. What is your take on that? The question is for everyone.

you were born to be a rainstorm
to be chaotic ,and to be bold ,
to show there's beauty in your heart
and you cannot be controlled

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
HarleyWoman wrote on Mar 27th, 2009 at 4:00pm:
I believe he needed a mother figure at the time. Once he saw his father (which btw made me cry) he was then ready for a father figure.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It helped me with my own spirituality. Some of the things touched home with me, and made me sob, but it was a good thing. A healing moment.

I have a question. Seeing how he had been in the accident, and had not really spent the days there that he had thought. What is your take on that? The question is for everyone.

i think that's the question of visions generally.
there's an allusion to visions being questioned as to their physical reality or just spiritual experience by Paul who was caught up to the third heaven.

it's also one of the questions that should make someone question the veracity of the story really occuring.  if you read the forward to the book, the author seems to be presenting it as a work of non-fiction told second hand, so it's uncertain.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
i think that's the question of visions generally.
there's an allusion to visions being questioned as to their physical reality or just spiritual experience by Paul who was caught up to the third heaven.

it's also one of the questions that should make someone question the veracity of the story really occuring.  if you read the forward to the book, the author seems to be presenting it as a work of non-fiction told second hand, so it's uncertain.

I'm pretty sure the author has indicated it is fiction.  What he has never shared, as far as I know, is what really happened between the father and the son...

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the author has indicated it is fiction.  What he has never shared, as far as I know, is what really happened between the father and the son...

if you have a copy of the book, take a gander at the prologue.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
if you have a copy of the book, take a gander at the prologue.

I think the prologue is part of the fiction.

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think the prologue is part of the fiction.

really?  because aren't the names slightly changed and the author makes reference to writing the book...   Undecided

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #17 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
really?  because aren't the names slightly changed and the author makes reference to writing the book...   Undecided

Just a device...okay, I'll have to look at it again...

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #18 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
And the controversy continues:

Shack's author stokes debate over the cross

By Jim Coggins

CONTROVERSY surrounding William P. Young's The Shack has drawn attention to a major theological debate that many readers of the popular novel may not be aware of.

The debate concerns how Christians understand the significance of Christ's death on the cross. Questions are being raised about one of the traditional concepts of the atonement.

Article here...

The issue is with the traditional view of the atonement.  Young says in the book that God says, "I don't punish sin. Sin is its own punishment."  A traditional view of the atonement has God the Father inflicting the punishment for sin upon Christ.

The question is, is this view of substitutionary atonement the only correct view?  I remember studying this in a class.  I remember some of the views:  one was God requiring the debt.  Another has the devil requiring the debt to be paid (which doesn't make sense: to have God paying a debt to the devil...).  I can't remember the others...

IP Logged

IMPEACH BARACK OBAMA
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Reply #19 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
And the controversy continues:

Shack's author stokes debate over the cross

By Jim Coggins

CONTROVERSY surrounding William P. Young's The Shack has drawn attention to a major theological debate that many readers of the popular novel may not be aware of.

The debate concerns how Christians understand the significance of Christ's death on the cross. Questions are being raised about one of the traditional concepts of the atonement.

Article here...

The issue is with the traditional view of the atonement.  Young says in the book that God says, "I don't punish sin. Sin is its own punishment."  A traditional view of the atonement has God the Father inflicting the punishment for sin upon Christ.

The question is, is this view of substitutionary atonement the only correct view?  I remember studying this in a class.  I remember some of the views:  one was God requiring the debt.  Another has the devil requiring the debt to be paid (which doesn't make sense: to have God paying a debt to the devil...).  I can't remember the others...

None of it makes sense and flies in the face of Scripture.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › The Shack

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News