Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › The Shack
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Shack (Read 5,240 times)
Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: The Shack
Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
None of it makes sense and flies in the face of Scripture.

If it were so cut-and-dry there wouldn't be centuries of debate over atonement theories.

For example, from the article,

"One of the reasons the debate becomes so heated, Boersma suggested, is the many implications of atonement theories.

For instance, if God is our example and we believe God punished his innocent son, then this could justify violence and abusive human structures.

"Divine child abuse" could justify human child abuse, and God's use of violent punishment could support just war theories.

This is one reason 'peace churches' such as the Mennonites are suspicious of the penal substitutionary theory. "

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Ah...found something on wikipedia:

1.  "The first metaphor, epitomised by the "ransom to Satan" theory, was used by the fourth-century theologian Gregory of Nyssa based on verses such as Mark 10:45 – "the Son of Man came … to give his life as a ransom for the many". In this metaphor Jesus liberates mankind from slavery to Satan and thus death by giving his own life as a ransom."

2.  "The second metaphor, used by the eleventh century theologian Anselm, is called the "satisfaction" theory. In this picture mankind owes a debt not to Satan, but to sovereign God himself. A sovereign may well be able to forgive an insult or an injury in his private capacity, but because he is a sovereign he cannot if the state has been dishonoured. Anselm argued that the insult given to God is so great that only a perfect sacrifice could satisfy and Jesus, being both God and man, was this perfect sacrifice. A variation on this theory is the commonly held Protestant "penal substitution theory," which instead of considering sin as an affront to God’s honour, sees sin as the breaking of God’s moral law."

3.  "The third metaphor is that of healing, associated with Pierre Abélard in the eleventh century, and Paul Tillich in the twentieth. In this picture Jesus’ death on the cross demonstrates the extent of God’s love for us, and moved by this great act of love mankind responds and is transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement

IP Logged

IMPEACH BARACK OBAMA
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If it were so cut-and-dry there wouldn't be centuries of debate over atonement theories.

For example, from the article,

"One of the reasons the debate becomes so heated, Boersma suggested, is the many implications of atonement theories.

For instance, if God is our example and we believe God punished his innocent son, then this could justify violence and abusive human structures.

"Divine child abuse" could justify human child abuse, and God's use of violent punishment could support just war theories.

This is one reason 'peace churches' such as the Mennonites are suspicious of the penal substitutionary theory. "

My opinion, but I do believe all that is nothing but foolishness.

IP Logged

HarleyWoman
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never let another steal
your magnificence.

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
My opinion, but I do believe all that is nothing but foolishness.

Did you read it? I've heard so many that have and enjoyed it. Even though fiction.

you were born to be a rainstorm
to be chaotic ,and to be bold ,
to show there's beauty in your heart
and you cannot be controlled

IP Logged

Solars Toy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
HarleyWoman wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:05pm:
Did you read it? I've heard so many that have and enjoyed it. Even though fiction.

I read it back in September last year.  It was interesting...once I wrapped my mind around God being portrayed as a large, African American Woman.  The combination of the Trinity was a good visual for me.  I enjoyed the book.

As to the author - it is my understanding he wrote the book for his children and never originally intended for it to be published.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
As to the author - it is my understanding he wrote the book for his children and never originally intended for it to be published.

Yes, apparently that's true.

IP Logged

HarleyWoman
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never let another steal
your magnificence.

Reply #26 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I read it back in September last year.  It was interesting...once I wrapped my mind around God being portrayed as a large, African American Woman.  The combination of the Trinity was a good visual for me.  I enjoyed the book.

Same here..Two of my friends and I read it at the same time, then had a little book club meeting. Our first one, btw..We figured it was because he wasn't ready for a man figure, because of his own father and his anger to God. Like most books ( even the bible) many theories. I loved it after I got past that..Plus the trinity was also good for me as well..Nice to know someone else felt as I did..Smiley
Didn't realize it was for his children. Good to know.

you were born to be a rainstorm
to be chaotic ,and to be bold ,
to show there's beauty in your heart
and you cannot be controlled

IP Logged

Solars Toy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 11:38am
Print Post  
HarleyWoman wrote on Apr 10th, 2009 at 11:47pm:
Same here..Two of my friends and I read it at the same time, then had a little book club meeting. Our first one, btw..We figured it was because he wasn't ready for a man figure, because of his own father and his anger to God. Like most books ( even the bible) many theories. I loved it after I got past that..Plus the trinity was also good for me as well..Nice to know someone else felt as I did..Smiley
Didn't realize it was for his children. Good to know.

I was discussing it with a friend and we agree McKenzie was not ready to accept God as a man.  We also think there is something to the idea that as a woman God was taking care of things (like cooking) to show us that even in the little things God is there for us.  Possibly even something about "feeding" our souls.  Since you recently read it what is your thought on that theory.  As to the Holy Trinity what really hit home was although each are individuals they are also one.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ah...found something on wikipedia:

1.  "The first metaphor, epitomised by the "ransom to Satan" theory, was used by the fourth-century theologian Gregory of Nyssa based on verses such as Mark 10:45 – "the Son of Man came … to give his life as a ransom for the many". In this metaphor Jesus liberates mankind from slavery to Satan and thus death by giving his own life as a ransom."

2.  "The second metaphor, used by the eleventh century theologian Anselm, is called the "satisfaction" theory. In this picture mankind owes a debt not to Satan, but to sovereign God himself. A sovereign may well be able to forgive an insult or an injury in his private capacity, but because he is a sovereign he cannot if the state has been dishonoured. Anselm argued that the insult given to God is so great that only a perfect sacrifice could satisfy and Jesus, being both God and man, was this perfect sacrifice. A variation on this theory is the commonly held Protestant "penal substitution theory," which instead of considering sin as an affront to God’s honour, sees sin as the breaking of God’s moral law."

3.  "The third metaphor is that of healing, associated with Pierre Abélard in the eleventh century, and Paul Tillich in the twentieth. In this picture Jesus’ death on the cross demonstrates the extent of God’s love for us, and moved by this great act of love mankind responds and is transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement

that all sounds good to me

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #29 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 10:47pm
Print Post