Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What Is A Conservative?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What Is A Conservative? (Read 18,202 times)
Solar Executive Troll
Ex Member

Re: What Is A Conservative?
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
A Conservative wants our government to return to the original understanding of the phrase the "general Welfare" in Article 1 Section 8 of our Constitution.

Thanks Senator, that pretty much describes the political Conservative. Cool

IP Logged

Solar Executive Troll
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
I am in my fundamental premise an ante-Enlightenment conservative.  I reject, as articulated in both Locke and Hobbes, although obviously in different ways, the "autonomous individual" - an abstraction with abstract rights.  From my premise, there are very few conservatives today because both liberals and so-called conservatives, left and right, Democrats and Republicans, embrace and affirm the artificial and abstract notion of the autonomous individual along with his abstract rights.  The so-called left and right differ only how the polity of a non-society, i.e. a mass of autonomous individuals, is to be configured.  

My position is that all persons have their being and their worth in relationships expressed in the commonwealths into which they are born: as creatures of God, as members of a family, as members of the Church and as members of local communities along with the sub-commonwealths of those.  A true conservative is therefore is one who recognizes that any real meaning to life is to fulfill the obligations of the commonwealths into which he is born.  He is more concerned about his obligations to God - love God with all your heart, mind and body; his obligations to his parents - honor your parents that your days may be long upon the earth; to his wife - you and your wife shall be one flesh and what God hath joined together let no man put asunder as well as to his children and the rest of his kin; to his Church, which itself is the body and the bride of the Christ, and finally to the kith of his community.  An ante-Enlightenment conservative values the assets necessary to fulfill the obligations to the commonwealths to which he belongs.  He values a sense of oughtness which mitigates his compulsions and quest for his necessities over those of others; he has prudence; he has courage; he has temperance and ultimately justice in his dealings with others.  He has a sense of connectedness to place and people.  When he goes among strangers his first questions tend to be, "Where are you from?"  and "Who are your people?"  He is always questing for kinsmen and for those who know the dear kith.  Such a conservative is primarily focused on his own obligations and not on some set of abstract rights.  He is not questing to reform others through some "noble cause" such as "saving the world for democracy."  When such a conservative becomes political, it is indeed as a reactionary: he minds his own business - pleasing God, adoring his wife, carrying for his parents, nurturing and loving his children, rendering service to his Church and tending to his responsibilities in his local community.  He become "political" when someone attempts to undermine or destroy one of his commonwealths or attempts to interfere with their goings on.  He is not a Luddite; however, he is not a slave or worshiper of progress, of technology or of ways which take him too far from the soil, from hunting and gathering, and from the love of God, of family, of Church and of local community.

His antithesis is actually not the autonomous individual, who is a myth, but the alienated individual: the one who has bought into the myth of the autonomous individual and who by that myth has cut himself off from God, from family, from Church, from kith and from local community.  The alienated individual has a left and right form.  The right form of the alienated individual is the one who has "conservative values" but lives an alienated lifestyle like Newt Gingrich.  The left version in embodied in Brittney Spears or Barney Frank.

Very well said Berg, the bold part is exactly how I feel. It is at this point wher we fight for what we believe in! Cool

IP Logged

Senator_Hatrack
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Senator, that pretty much describes the political Conservative. Cool

Thank you Solar!

IP Logged

GOD
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
I am in my fundamental premise an ante-Enlightenment conservative.  I reject, as articulated in both Locke and Hobbes, although obviously in different ways, the "autonomous individual" - an abstraction with abstract rights.  From my premise, there are very few conservatives today because both liberals and so-called conservatives, left and right, Democrats and Republicans, embrace and affirm the artificial and abstract notion of the autonomous individual along with his abstract rights.  The so-called left and right differ only how the polity of a non-society, i.e. a mass of autonomous individuals, is to be configured.  

My position is that all persons have their being and their worth in relationships expressed in the commonwealths into which they are born: as creatures of God, as members of a family, as members of the Church and as members of local communities along with the sub-commonwealths of those.  A true conservative is therefore is one who recognizes that any real meaning to life is to fulfill the obligations of the commonwealths into which he is born.  He is more concerned about his obligations to God - love God with all your heart, mind and body; his obligations to his parents - honor your parents that your days may be long upon the earth; to his wife - you and your wife shall be one flesh and what God hath joined together let no man put asunder as well as to his children and the rest of his kin; to his Church, which itself is the body and the bride of the Christ, and finally to the kith of his community.  An ante-Enlightenment conservative values the assets necessary to fulfill the obligations to the commonwealths to which he belongs.  He values a sense of oughtness which mitigates his compulsions and quest for his necessities over those of others; he has prudence; he has courage; he has temperance and ultimately justice in his dealings with others.  He has a sense of connectedness to place and people.  When he goes among strangers his first questions tend to be, "Where are you from?"  and "Who are your people?"  He is always questing for kinsmen and for those who know the dear kith.  Such a conservative is primarily focused on his own obligations and not on some set of abstract rights.  He is not questing to reform others through some "noble cause" such as "saving the world for democracy."  When such a conservative becomes political, it is indeed as a reactionary: he minds his own business - pleasing God, adoring his wife, carrying for his parents, nurturing and loving his children, rendering service to his Church and tending to his responsibilities in his local community.  He become "political" when someone attempts to undermine or destroy one of his commonwealths or attempts to interfere with their goings on.  He is not a Luddite; however, he is not a slave or worshiper of progress, of technology or of ways which take him too far from the soil, from hunting and gathering, and from the love of God, of family, of Church and of local community.

His antithesis is actually not the autonomous individual, who is a myth, but the alienated individual: the one who has bought into the myth of the autonomous individual and who by that myth has cut himself off from God, from family, from Church, from kith and from local community.  The alienated individual has a left and right form.  The right form of the alienated individual is the one who has "conservative values" but lives an alienated lifestyle like Newt Gingrich.  The left version in embodied in Brittney Spears or Barney Frank.

Locke and Hobbs, awesome....  Someday I want to just lock myself in a library and just read all of them. Of all I have read, there is so much more....  I need to get back to how I was.

IP Logged

Solar Executive Troll
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:20am
Print Post  
I reserve the right to bump this for the libs tomorrow, after they've had their beauty sleep. Smiley

IP Logged

LadyLawyerII
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Quote:
I reserve the right to bump this for the libs tomorrow, after they've had their beauty sleep. Smiley

Just curious.  Why? 

IP Logged

Lintree
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Quote:
Just curious.  Why?  

He thinks it's important enough that it should not fall down to Page 2?
Lots of action here; threads fall down.
For a reason.
Tongue

IP Logged

HarleyWoman
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never let another steal
your magnificence.

Reply #17 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 2:18am
Print Post  

Harley..is a Conservative..Woman 

I did like this part of Republicans explanation..

A person who believes and lives by taking personal responsibility.  Relying on oneself instead of any governmental agency.  Standing up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.  Understanding that a close family unit is of the utmost importance to providing strength, courage and morals.  Being honest and having integrity no matter what the situation.   

I also believe in life, and the blessings it brings,  sometimes along with heartache. So I am also pro-life.

you were born to be a rainstorm
to be chaotic ,and to be bold ,
to show there's beauty in your heart
and you cannot be controlled

IP Logged

I Can Mend Your Umbrella
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

I can't play the cello

Reply #18 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 2:26am
Print Post  
I am a Neocon, liberal,Constitution hating Facist according to some people here. I think I shall stick with that.

IP Logged

taxed --- formerly GOD
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 2:27am
Print Post  
HarleyWoman wrote on Oct 4th, 2008 at 2:18am:
Harley..is a Conservative..Woman  

I did like this part of Republicans explanation..

A person who believes and lives by taking personal responsibility.  Relying on oneself instead of any governmental agency.  Standing up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.  Understanding that a close family unit is of the utmost importance to providing strength, courage and morals.  Being honest and having integrity no matter what the situation.  

I also believe in life, and the blessings it brings,  sometimes along with heartache. So I am also pro-life.

Are you pro-death penalty?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What Is A Conservative?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog