Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › A Contemporary Picture of Forgiveness
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Contemporary Picture of Forgiveness (Read 9,805 times)
Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: A Contemporary Picture of Forgiveness
Reply #50 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:36am
Print Post  
kangkongking wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:34am:
make them pay for their crimes. and ask God to forgive them

So God doesn't require our forgiveness of the perpetrator?  I'm not sure the Bible agrees with you...

IP Logged

kangkongking
LNF Intern10

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #51 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
of course we are required. after all, if God forgives how much more us. however i believe that people who done crimes and broke the law should pay for it for justice. God speed.  Smiley

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #52 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
My own view is this...

If any person wrongs you in any way, and that person asks you for forgiveness, then as a Christian you have to forgive that person.

The complimentary repentance and forgiveness concepts are at the very core of Christian morality and spirituality. Basically, since God has forgiven you of all your sins (from you becoming a Christian), then you are expected to forgive others as God has forgiven you. It is, in essence, the least that you can do in return for how God has forgiven you.

However, where I may differ with Mercy, is that I hold that repentance is a prerequisite for receiving forgiveness. The Bible is clear in its teachings that a sinner has to repent of his or her sins, through accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, in order to receive God's forgiveness and everlasting salvation. So, likewise, if a person wrongs you, but never apologizes to you for how s/he has wronged you, then you are not required to forgive that person. You may still choose to forgive that person, but I don't believe that it is something that God expects of you if that person never asked you for forgiveness.

That being said, I do think that it's typically unhealthy to hold a grudge. It's frequently better to "let things go", so to speak.

I personally view forgiveness as being a bit more than simply "not holding a grudge". In my mind, if you forgive a person for wrongs against you, that includes wanting purely punitive measures to be lifted from that person.

One of the more anti-Christian aspects about our modern society is how litigatious we've become.

IP Logged

JDD
LNF Majority Leader

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #53 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Thats to be our attitude towards one another in our daily walk (notice there are no law breakers in that group the Lord describes), but it seems to me we need to obey the law of the land in the process of loving people (report criminal activity) because the Lord instructs us to be in submission to our governing authorities who's job it is to protect us from evil doers. (Rom 13:1-4) Our government leaders (which includes police authority) needs us to report crime in order for them to do their job of protecting others (part of us loving others should be getting the bad ones off the street in order to protect our neighbor, whom we love)  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Reply #54 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
You know, that reminds me of a story I came across in Cambodia.

One of the most brutal killers alive in the world today was known as "Duch."  He was responsible for the torture and death of thousands and thousands of people.  He disappeared after the Khmer Rouge was ousted.

It wasn't until just a few years ago that a journalist tracked him down.  After a few meetings, the journalist confronted him and confirmed that this was the same "Duch."  Duch said that he had become a Christian and that his only concerns now were "his family, his stomach, and his God."  He confessed to moving up in the ranks of the Khmer Rouge out of obedience and fear, and realized that he had gotten in so deep that he didn't know how to get out.  It was after the massacres that he hid and eventually became a Christian.

After the journalist confronted him, the man gave himself up to the authorities and confessed his identity.  He was put in prison; eventually in solitary confinement (probably because he kept sharing the Gospel with other prisoners).

His trial started last month.  He will most likely be put to death, a punishment which doesn't even come close to "what he deserves."  He was not worthy of God's forgiveness.  None of us are.  But God forgives.  He will most likely be put to death for his war crimes--forgiven by God.

Sometimes it makes me think--what's better, that a mass murderer goes to his death defiant and unrepentant until the end?  Or that he actually regrets his actions and faces the consequences willingly?

IP Logged

JDD
LNF Majority Leader

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #55 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Or that he actually regrets his actions and faces the consequences willingly?

Basically thats what every person does when they reach out to God for forgiveness through His Son, some just have more consequences to deal with than others based on their individual circumstances in society (ie murder, drugs, fraud etc) .

I was forgiven by God for my alcoholic behavior many years ago but the consequences continued when I lost my career employment and having to live with results of injured relationships from my former conduct.

God never guaranteed a smooth flight, just a smooth landing   Roll Eyes 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › A Contemporary Picture of Forgiveness

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog