Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Question  fo MFA.
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Question  fo MFA. (Read 2,358 times)
Low_pockets
Ex Member

Question  fo MFA.
Dec 30th, 2008 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I have a serious question for you as you seem to be well versed on the bible and would like your opinion please.I have no pastor to ask this as i do not attend church because i am hearing impaired.
I do not claim to have the answers but have tried to understand as much as i could about the bible.Even God said no one would understand many things written there until the time for it to be revealed,as i am sure you are aware.
I have always wondered as God said he does not favor any one yet claims the jews as his chosen people.So i have always wondered if his meaning was to choose the Jews to full fill phrophecy as they sure have IMHO.
Many people talk about the countradictions sp? in the bible but i do not see them after giving it lots of thought.Your thoughs please.
BTW,if it is against rules to ask questions here please delete this as i am sure you can.
Thanks in advnce.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: Question  fo MFA.
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I have a serious question for you as you seem to be well versed on the bible and would like your opinion please.I have no pastor to ask this as i do not attend church because i am hearing impaired.
I do not claim to have the answers but have tried to understand as much as i could about the bible.Even God said no one would understand many things written there until the time for it to be revealed,as i am sure you are aware.
I have always wondered as God said he does not favor any one yet claims the jews as his chosen people.So i have always wondered if his meaning was to choose the Jews to full fill phrophecy as they sure have IMHO.
Many people talk about the countradictions sp? in the bible but i do not see them after giving it lots of thought.Your thoughs please.
BTW,if it is against rules to ask questions here please delete this as i am sure you can.
Thanks in advnce.

God did not arbitrarily "choose the Jews."  It goes back to Abraham.  Abraham obeyed God in faith.  It was because of this faith that God promised Abraham descendants and that Abraham's descendants would be his people.  So it wasn't an "after the fact choice" but a "before they even existed choice."

Even from the beginning, though, it was God's intention to bless all people through Abraham's descendants, which becomes clearer in the New Testament.

Does that answer your question?

Also, there are apparent contradictions in the Bible, but not necessarily the ones that people talk about that are usually pretty easily resolvable.

IP Logged

Low_pockets
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
God did not arbitrarily "choose the Jews."  It goes back to Abraham.  Abraham obeyed God in faith.  It was because of this faith that God promised Abraham descendants and that Abraham's descendants would be his people.  So it wasn't an "after the fact choice" but a "before they even existed choice."

Even from the beginning, though, it was God's intention to bless all people through Abraham's descendants, which becomes clearer in the New Testament.

Also, there are apparent contradictions in the Bible, but not necessarily the ones that people talk about that are usually pretty easily resolvable.

Thanks MFA.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks MFA.

No prob. Smiley

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I don't totally agree. (surprise surprise  Smiley)

I agree God does not do anything willy nilly or arbitrarily. Everything He does is for His glory and
purpose. But God did not focus on or choose Abraham because of anything special in Abraham.
God wasn't waiting around for the right person (I've heard sermons like that before). He chose,
blessed Abraham. The complete package, faith etc.
As far as the Jews are concerned what greater privilege and fulfilling of the promises( blessing the
whole world through them) than having the Messiah come through them.

Quote:
For all the promises of God in Him are yeah(yes)

The gospel came to them first as promised. The great apostles of the Church and those that
got to sit at the feet of Christ were Jews. And Christ will forever be the risen savior, the God/Christ/Man.
And specifically the God/Christ/Jewish Man.  Wow! What more can you ask for!  Wink

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I agree God does not do anything willy nilly or arbitrarily. Everything He does is for His glory and
purpose. But God did not focus on or choose Abraham because of anything special in Abraham.
God wasn't waiting around for the right person (I've heard sermons like that before). He chose,
As far as the Jews are concerned what greater privilege and fulfilling of the promises( blessing the
whole world through them) than having the Messiah come through them.

The gospel came to them first as promised. The great apostles of the Church and those that
got to sit at the feet of Christ were Jews. And Christ will forever be the risen savior, the God/Christ/Man.
And specifically the God/Christ/Jewish Man.  Wow! What more can you ask for!  Wink

i'm not seeing how this is a disagreement.  ??   Undecided

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Consider that it's likely that God called Abraham's father first, only he didn't obey completely:

Genesis 11:31-32 - "Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Haran, they settled there.

Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Haran."

Terah set out from Ur to go to Canaan--but he didn't complete the journey.  It was after this that Abraham was called to continue the journey his father had been called to make.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
Consider that it's likely that God called Abraham's father first, only he didn't obey completely:

Genesis 11:31-32 - "Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Haran, they settled there.

Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Haran."

Terah set out from Ur to go to Canaan--but he didn't complete the journey.  It was after this that Abraham was called to continue the journey his father had been called to make.

The sovereign God was leading and guiding them the whole way. God set His love upon Abraham.
It could have been a Swede, or a Bushman or whatever. That's insignificant, it's all about God, not
Abraham, Mary etc.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
i'm not seeing how this is a disagreement.  ??   Undecided

I wrote that "I don't totally agree." And explained the part I disagree with. But I mostly agree.  Wink

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The sovereign God was leading and guiding them the whole way. God set His love upon Abraham.
It could have been a Swede, or a Bushman or whatever. That's insignificant, it's all about God, not
Abraham, Mary etc.

only if you're a Calvinist.
otherwise, there are two sides to the coin:  the God's grace side and the human faith side
(or the preservation side and the perseverance side... to use Calvin's terms).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Question  fo MFA.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog