Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereThe Writer's Croft - Creative Writing Corner › 2084
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2084 (Read 923 times)
Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Mar 5th, 2009 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
This is an attempt to put some of my more futurist thoughts into prose format. It is a possible image that I have of the future.

It was a hot, balmy day, as Fred Edwards rode in his dusty rose Toyota Spark to the Houston airport. Fred breathed a deep sigh of relief to be done work for the day, and then carefully checked his reflection in the mirror to ensure that he was properly groomed for his upcoming meeting.

Fred had been working diligently on the Hokyo Project. This was a special environmental project that sought to purify the air and finally decontaminate the land, of much of North America. In the process of accomplishing this, it was hoped that the Hokyo Project would plant the seed for a most plentiful crop of corn, wheat, oats, barley, and all manner of farm produce. Such crop demands were increasingly high, both for highly refined ethanol fuels, but also for human consumption.

In his spare time, Fred spent a great deal of time on internet chatlines and message boards. There, he met a woman from England by the name of Joanne Beckham. The two had struck up a great friendship, and decided to finally meet in person. Joanne was looking forward to this vacation, and to visiting New Texas, a country she had never seen before.

*15 minutes until we arrive at the airport, Fred* came the sweetly sharp voice of the Toyota Spark's AI system.

"That's good to hear, Maggie." Fred replied to the AI and car that he had named, "Do you think that I look Ok for this meeting?"

*Of course you do, Fred! I'm sure you'll charm her just like you do your bosses!*

Fred chuckled loudly in response to this.

"I don't intend on showing her my architectural schematics, Maggie." replied Fred with a sly grin, "I hope that this meeting will be more enjoyable than that!"

*Oh? I find your designs splendid for evaluating, Fred!*

"I guess that's where cars aren't made like humans." responded Fred.

Cars had essentially been computerized chauffers since 2055, when personal vehicular transport began to come back into fashion. It was felt that the lack of vehicular driving experience for many of today's New Texans made it unsafe for a more "hands on" mode of personal vehicular control for them. Now, only adventurous race car drivers, all looked upon with both fear and awe by all other people, tended to drive their own cars.

'I wonder how Joanne is doing right now?' thought Fred to himself, eager to meet his online friend, 'I hope she finds it nice down here in New Texas. No doubt it's quite different than her native England...'

------------------------

Flying on Air Emirates, Joanne was very much looking forward to seeing her friend Fred in person. Beyond that, however, she was greatly energized at the prospect of stepping unto New Texas soil.

She had grown up in England's public school system, learning so much about New Texas, and the various nations of North America - the nations of Ontario, Quebec, New England, Atlantica, Pacifica, Heartland, New America, and Mexico. She had learned much about them in both official study... and personal study done through accessing forbidden websites.

Having an insatiable thirst for knowledge, and being a truly masterful computer expert, she had been able to access a special intranet site within the broader and heavily regulated internet. There, along with a small number of fellow computer experts and passionate historians known as Orwell's Brotherhood, she had learned much about the current eight nations of North America, and two nations that came before them - the nations of Canada and the United States of America.

A disastrous series of events, set in motion by long-standing problems that had been allowed to gestate into a fully formed butterfly of powerful horror, had led to the balkanization of these two countries. Vicious civil war had plagued America, while various provinces within Canada had voted to separate from the larger nation in spite of great efforts on Ottawa's part to prevent it.

In the wake of America's second civil war, certain diplomatic peace agreements were eventually reached, and warring sides had decided that, this time, national separation would be the ideal solution for the vast cultural and governmental chasm that existed between them.

Joanne had found all of this thoroughly fascinating since it was the complete opposite of her own nation's history.

England had been at the core of the British Empire, and later of the Commonwealth. For a time, Britian was also a member of the EU.

The European Union, in one sense, still existed - it had briefly ceased to function whatsoever due to major sociocultural changes in France, Sweden, and Germany coming quicker, and faster, than in other EU nations. This, in turn, caused major policy divisions within the EU. However, once other EU nations "caught up" to the new France and the new Sweden, the EU was reformed... simply renamed to the IEE - short for the Islamic European Emirates. Foreigners call it "Eurabia" for short.

Joanne was a minority in her country, as white anglo-saxon protestants had been for a couple decades now. The idea of New Texas, which was still a majority Christian country with a 400 years old English culture of sorts, greatly appealed to her.

She hoped to learn more about this unique country, and her friend, Fred.

_____

Any comments?
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2009 at 7:23pm by Triple_R »  

IP Logged

LadyBug
Ex Member

Re: 2084
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
That's an interesting projection of the future, TR.  Smiley

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: 2084
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's an interesting projection of the future, TR.  Smiley

Thanks, LadyBug. Smiley

It borrows a lot from a few different sources, but it pulls those separate ideas together, and adds a few of my own.

One idea of my own is that I think that the Asians are going to be the technologically dominant group of people on Earth soon - they recently came out with a robot teacher.

I hope that North America can turn it around, but... I have my doubts, sadly.

Long-term, though, some places will still be vibrant. The legacy of NASA may keep some places in America on the technological cutting edge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereThe Writer's Croft - Creative Writing Corner › 2084

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog