Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Hard sayings or text that bug you in scripture
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hard sayings or text that bug you in scripture (Read 2,117 times)
fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Hard sayings or text that bug you in scripture
Mar 30th, 2009 at 7:39am
Print Post  
I'll admit there are texts, especially in the OT which make me scratch my head or bug me.
Some of these texts get thrown at me when I defend Christianity with nonbelievers. Such as
text when God demands the destruction of a city and gives permission to take the women and young girls.

Quote:
Numbers 31 vs 17&18:
" 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: Hard sayings or text that bug you in scripture
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Yes, that is difficult.  It's important to remember that this was a culture that God had deemed unredeemable, having given them 400 years to repent from atrocities.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, that is difficult.  It's important to remember that this was a culture that God had deemed unredeemable, having given them 400 years to repent from atrocities.

I don't have trouble with that part. I believe we all born in sin and rebellion. It's the keeping alive of the womenfolk for what seems to be carnal pleasures. There aren't many texts that trouble me but this seems out of character.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't have trouble with that part. I believe we all born in sin and rebellion. It's the keeping alive of the womenfolk for what seems to be carnal pleasures. There aren't many texts that trouble me but this seems out of character.

I think carnal pleasures didn't rate as they do in our culture, compared to having children.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think carnal pleasures didn't rate as they do in our culture, compared to having children.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. I guess what also bugs me is the fact that
they were strictly prohibited in mixing/intermarrying with Pagan women but an exception
was made here.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's a good point I hadn't thought of. I guess what also bugs me is the fact that
they were strictly prohibited in mixing/intermarrying with Pagan women but an exception
was made here.

I would guess that one of the main reasons was the fertility cults that proliferated.  Many women were "cult prostitutes" and engaging in sex with them was considered "worship."  One of the biggest issues with the Canaanites was the baseness of their religious practices.  Presumably, any virgins would not have been schooled in pagan worship...?

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
I would guess that one of the main reasons was the fertility cults that proliferated.  Many women were "cult prostitutes" and engaging in sex with them was considered "worship."  One of the biggest issues with the Canaanites was the baseness of their religious practices.  Presumably, any virgins would not have been schooled in pagan worship...?

Plus they married young back then.

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, that is difficult.  It's important to remember that this was a culture that God had deemed unredeemable, having given them 400 years to repent from atrocities.

some of them are referenced... for example, in the worship of Molech (sacrificing children, etc.).

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I agree.

Motherhood is always presented in a very positive connotation in the Old Testament, IIRC. Being "with child" was considered a great and highly sought after blessing by Old Testament women.

The Bible is profoundly pro-procreation. Perhaps the Hebrew people had become low in numbers at the time that these Bible verses are quoted from.

Also, I think that the verse can be interpreted different ways. "Take for yourselves" could mean "integrate into your existing Hebrew culture and faith".

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Nothing about God's Word "bugs" me. If there are parts that I don't understand or question, I just recognize that God's will is perfect. I don't need to understand His ways now. All will be understood in Heaven.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Hard sayings or text that bug you in scripture

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog