Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › the most insidious movie i've seen
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) the most insidious movie i've seen (Read 5,226 times)
jeff
Ex Member

the most insidious movie i've seen
Mar 30th, 2009 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
i finally got around to watching The Golden Compass this past weekend and it was a bit different than i thought it would be.  my pre-watching impression was that it is a movie that has a strong anti-Catholic bent to it - nothing wholly new considering the popularity of Dan Brown novels hitting the big screen.  for example, the imposing and malevolent oligarchy of the Magisterium is an acute reference to the Roman Catholic branch of the church that deals with teaching authority.

however, it isn't simply an anti-Catholic narrative, but a highly subversive and insidious attack on theism.  this attack is evident within the first few minutes of the movie when the narrator informs the viewer that this story takes place in a different, parallel universe in which people don't have souls inside them, but souls that travel with them all their lives in the form of animal companions (much like a familiar to traditional witches).  these animals are called demons (or, in the subtitles, daemons - a traditional spelling of demons).

lead characters of the film legitimize the challenging of rules - not some rules, but rules in general (of course there is an inate contradiction to their challenge that is never answered in the narrative, but that goes without saying since it is also a contradiction common to people who are against rules generally).

further, the witch who is the protectorate of the protagonist in the movie is called a witch, a sybill, and is named something like Seriph.  thus, the narrative creates the parallel of witches and angels.

consider now if a child were to watch this.  clearly the Magisterium in the movie is tyrannical and more - evil, in its dealings with people.  they are trying to, and in cases succeeding, in disconnecting children from their souls - their daemons.
how would a conversation about the narrative sound and how would that translate in the mind of a child?
how would Christian or any theistic teaching follow when we now have to redefine what demon, witch and rules mean?
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009 at 7:35pm by »  

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Re: the most insidious movie i've seen
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
And yet the main character, the supposed protagonist, is anything but likable.

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
And yet the main character, the supposed protagonist, is anything but likable.

you think so?
i thought her character had plenty o' admirable qualities.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
you think so?
i thought her character had plenty o' admirable qualities.

Hmmm...I disliked the character from the start, and after that she never won me over.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
i finally got around to watching The Golden Compass this past weekend and it was a bit different than i thought it would be.  my pre-watching impression was that it is a movie that has a strong anti-Catholic bent to it -

Is that a bad thing?

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is that a bad thing?

could be.  consider that if it wasn't for the Roman Catholic church there would have been no reformation.  and condemning the RCC is too easy a cop-out for protestants today... especially considering that it didn't take long for protestants to learn to apply what they learned from the Roman church.

aside from that, my assumption regarding the movie before i watched it is marginal compared to my comment on the movie after i watched it.

IP Logged

Triple_R
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
The Golden Compass movie was based on the first of a series of three books. These three books were wrote with a definitive atheistic goal in mind - from what I've read, they were intended to be the atheist "answer" to Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

I learned this shortly after seeing the first TV trailers for the movie. It's a shame because there are some genuinely cool elements to the story (giant armored polar bears are pretty neat, I must admit).

Thankfully, the Golden Compass didn't do as well as hoped in theaters - nowhere near as well as the Narnia movie did - hence, it's unlikely that the third (and most anti-religious) of the three books will get the movie treatment.

IP Logged

jeff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Triple_R wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 9:04pm:
The Golden Compass movie was based on the first of a series of three books. These three books were wrote with a definitive atheistic goal in mind - from what I've read, they were intended to be the atheist "answer" to Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

I learned this shortly after seeing the first TV trailers for the movie. It's a shame because there are some genuinely cool elements to the story (giant armored polar bears are pretty neat, I must admit).

Thankfully, the Golden Compass didn't do as well as hoped in theaters - nowhere near as well as the Narnia movie did - hence, it's unlikely that the third (and most anti-religious) of the three books will get the movie treatment.

i really hope not.

i can usually see the teachable moments and Christian application in contemporary culture, but this has been tailored to challenge the archetypes that have historically pointed to Jesus and the Gospel.

IP Logged

JDD
LNF Majority Leader

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
consider now if a child were to watch this.  clearly the Magisterium in the movie is tyrannical and more - evil, in its dealings with people.  they are trying to, and in cases succeeding, in disconnecting children from their souls - their daemons.
how would a conversation about the narrative sound and how would that translate in the mind of a child? how would Christian or any theistic teaching follow when we now have to redefine what demon, witch and rules mean ?

The Bible warns of those within the faith teaching a false gospel. They claim to be teaching Jesus and His ways, yet are false. God says satan disguises himself as an angel of light and his servants disguise themselves as servants of righteousness as they do their religious work. Satan is even called the GREAT counterfeiter and in the original language the term indicates sooooo close looking to the real thing that it looks and sounds true

Also Jesus said the wide path that leads to destruction is filled with people who believe they are on the narrow path leading to heaven, people who claim they did all sorts of thing in the Lords name, He told them to depart, He never knew them.

Based on what the Bibles itself says for the past few thousand years I don't see where any redefining of satan and his helpers in the physical church is necessary myself.   

IP Logged

JDD
LNF Majority Leader

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
i really hope not.

i can usually see the teachable moments and Christian application in contemporary culture, but this has been tailored to challenge the archetypes that have historically pointed to Jesus and the Gospel .

If it's the true Jesus and His gospel, yes, but the Bible indicates many will be teaching ANOTHER Jesus, so it's possible to point people in the wrong direction in Jesus name and using the Bible as their reference. All Bible based cults do it with their good works theology..... Jesus sacrifice on the cross was sufficient to pay the sinners debt, the false gospel says man has to help Jesus complete the payment by being good enough also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › the most insidious movie i've seen

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog