Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereTechnology Forum - Computers › Galaxy vs Gslate
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Galaxy vs Gslate (Read 5,092 times)
Renaissance Woman
Ex Member


Galaxy vs Gslate
Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Okay so the Gslate is much tighter. I would like but I just cant see me paying that much for a tablet. Ive waited for it and now Im like for that price I could have gotten an apple laptop. I could see if I needed a tablet but I just want it to serve as a color
E-reader , watch videos and listen to Pandora on without having to lug around and set up my laptop. I cant afford to spend that much money on a a toy. Sad  or at least I shouldnt ... Looks like Im gonna go with the galaxy plus its about the size of a kindle so carrying around will be awesome. What do you think?
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Danny Borden
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker
***
Offline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 2,350
Location: Alabama
Joined: Apr 11th, 2006
Gender: Male
Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
You could get a Nook Color for $100 less, root the device, install Cyanogenmod 7, and have a device that is more capable than the Galaxy Tab.

Less powerful hardware than the Tab and the current crop of Honeycomb tablets, yes, but more than enough for what you want to do with it.
  

&&&&Si vis pacem, para bellum
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Renaissance Woman
Ex Member


Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
You could get a Nook Color for $100 less, root the device, install Cyanogenmod 7, and have a device that is more capable than the Galaxy Tab.

Less powerful hardware than the Tab and the current crop of Honeycomb tablets, yes, but more than enough for what you want to do with it.

I heard that people where hacking the nook and doing stuff to it but hell I dont know how to do all that Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Renaissance Woman
Ex Member


Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I dont see what the big deal is with all this froyo and honeycomb stuff  hell as long as I can watch videos, listen to pandora, read books and talk shit on the forums Im happy.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Danny Borden
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker
***
Offline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 2,350
Location: Alabama
Joined: Apr 11th, 2006
Gender: Male
Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
I heard that people where hacking the nook and doing stuff to it but hell I dont know how to do all that Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!


*Shrugs* There are guides and tools available making the process relatively painless. No harder than jailbreaking an iPhone nowadays.

Quote:
I dont see what the big deal is with all this froyo and honeycomb stuff  hell as long as I can watch videos, listen to pandora, read books and talk shit on the forums Im happy.


They are operating system updates. Think of it like Windows XP to Vista to Windows 7. Android 2.2 is Froyo, it brought flash support. Android 2.3 is Gingerbread, it brought greater optimization to the Java rendering engine speeding up the system along with Web M video support, native EMMC (internal flash memory like on the Incredible and Nexus S) support, and support for front-facing cameras.

Honeycomb was made for tablets specifically, it is currently separate from the phone version of the OS. In the Linux community, it's what you call a Fork (fork in the road). Google separated it so manufacturers wouldn't attempt to install it on phones. The two branches will be merged in a future OS update called Ice Cream Sandwich.

Hell, from what I've read up on. The stock Nook Color should fit your needs to a "T".
  

&&&&Si vis pacem, para bellum
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Renaissance Woman
Ex Member


Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Wow you made that pretty simple to understand. I know who to ask about computers now  Cheesy . I think I may have to go put my hand on a nook color. I already ordered the galaxy which is fine it wont stop me from comparing and seeing what I want to do. Thanks for the help.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Renaissance Woman
Ex Member


Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
That new black berry tablet looks nice. Im still not ready to come off over 500 bucks for a tablet though. No way.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Danny Borden
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker
***
Offline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 2,350
Location: Alabama
Joined: Apr 11th, 2006
Gender: Male
Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
That new black berry tablet looks nice. Im still not ready to come off over 500 bucks for a tablet though. No way.


The ASUS Transformer is selling for $399. So, given the competition. I'd expect prices to come down later this year.

Honeycomb will be a solid operating system once Google gets off their asses and fixes the problems.
  

&&&&Si vis pacem, para bellum
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Renaissance Woman
Ex Member


Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The ASUS Transformer is selling for $399. So, given the competition. I'd expect prices to come down later this year.

Honeycomb will be a solid operating system once Google gets off their asses and fixes the problems.

Do you think people will be able to update devices like the galaxy once google gets done? I was just checking out the updates for the nook thats making them more like androids is it safe to assume the update will get there eventually? Ill check out that tablet thanks,
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Danny Borden
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker
***
Offline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 2,350
Location: Alabama
Joined: Apr 11th, 2006
Gender: Male
Re: Galaxy vs Gslate
Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Quote:
Do you think people will be able to update devices like the galaxy once google gets done? I was just checking out the updates for the nook thats making them more like androids is it safe to assume the update will get there eventually? Ill check out that tablet thanks,


The problem with updates is that you have several layers to go through. First Google puts out the general update, then passes it along to the manufacturers to tailer it to their specific devices. After that, the manufacturers pass it along to the carriers for Over the Air updates.

That being said, I wouldn't expect Samsung to bring Honeycomb to the Tab. They are slow as hell rolling updates out. If Honeycomb comes to the Tab, it will be through the hacking community.
  

&&&&Si vis pacem, para bellum
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
 
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereTechnology Forum - Computers › Galaxy vs Gslate
LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room





Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules