Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › CREAMY carbonara recipe?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CREAMY carbonara recipe? (Read 4,574 times)
Rodney Your Teas Ready
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Re: CREAMY carbonara recipe?
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Okay that actually looks fantastic.  And easy.  I'm going to try to make it this weekend.

Is that a real "tikka masala"? Or a way off Americanization?

Queshank

That's basically it but I do have some major issues with this guy.

First he put the marinaded chicken a metal pan. He should have mentioned that the metal pan has to be non reactive. Some metals will react to things like acid and destroy the flavor or make you sick. And being that the marinade contains yogurt which has lactic acid and bacteria the wrong pan will ruin the dish or worse. As far a pans go I simply say be safe and stick to glass. If you don't have glass make sure the pan is stainless steel. 

His marinade is more boring than a politician.

His recipe calls for adding spices and garam masala. Garam massala is a spice mix. Not an actual spice. So basically his recipe calls for adding spices and then adding more spices. All you need is one decent spice mix.

He uses chopped onions. That's okay but they should be pureed with garlic and ginger.

He basically said use lots of heavy cream to make it creamy. What he didn't say is although the cream itself doesn't have much of a flavor it does detract from flavor. So the more you use the less flavorful the dish will be and curries are all about the deep flavor profile.

Finally no one wants a big chunk of meat and the meat marinates better in small pieces.

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I just learned more about the "science" of cooking in reading this last post of yours than I've learned in the last few months of watching cooking shows and browsing Internet recipes and discussions.  Thank you again very much.

When I did a google search for "tikka masala" that was the first video to come up in google.  So I went with it.  I thought it was pretty freaking odd to be storing chicken in that metal pan.  Didn't even consider the acidic nature of components etc, I was just thinking "yuck, storing meat on that metal in the fridge seems dumb". 

When I started looking into recipes I looked up garam masala.  It literally means "hot mixture of spices" or something to that effect.  But since there were several recipes that called for cumin and coriander and garam masala I went all over town yesterday looking for this mystery ingredient.  Interestingly even this long video by "Indiangirl" (or something) she used garam masala in addition to other spices, and actually marinated the chicken breasts whole. Finally found Garam Masala at our local version of a hippy grocery store.  I kinda bought all the components for this recipe, then got home and noticed your response.  Oops.  Well now that I had em I put together his boring marinade just to give it a try anyway as a starting point for a frame of reference.  But I did cube the chicken first.  That seems like obvious good sense.  It's in the fridge in a GLASS bowl waiting for me to put the sauce together tonight.  Figured I'd use his recipe and incorporate your suggestions and take the heavy cream point into consideration.  The house smelled amazing last night just from the spice I used in the marinade and the ginger root.  Never bought ginger root before.  Smelled surprisingly like lemon as I minced it up.

I tried a spoonful of the plain organic yogurt I bought at the hippy store just to test the taste.  Man that is hideous.  It took me hours to get the taste out of my mouth.  My wife made Macaroni & Cheese for supper while I marinated the chicken for tonight's supper and my Mac & Cheese had vague yogurt overtones from my fried taste buds.  (Yup, Velveeta from a box Shells & Cheese)

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Decided to just go ahead and make it for lunch.  I can see why you recommended this dish.  Lots of stuff going on.  It was quite fun to make. 

Because "garam" was supposed to mean hot, I decided not to add any of the peppers since this recipe said they were optional because I didn't want it getting too spicy for us bland folks.  I think that was a mistake.  It needed more heat to bring some of the flavors out I think.  It wound up being a decent enough meal.  But since I've never had it before I have no idea if it's right or not.  I think the next time I make it when I add the peppers it'll be much better.  I expected it to be "spicy" but the main overtone was the ginger? I think?.  Which means either I screwed it up or that guy's spice blend wasn't ideal.

Things I did different:

I added a teaspoon of sugar while carmelizing the onions.

I puree'd the entire sauce in a blender after adding the crushed tomatoes. 

Definitely will try to make the dish again but will branch out and try other variations.

Queshank

IP Logged

Rodney Your Teas Ready
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Decided to just go ahead and make it for lunch.  I can see why you recommended this dish.  Lots of stuff going on.  It was quite fun to make. 

Because "garam" was supposed to mean hot, I decided not to add any of the peppers since this recipe said they were optional because I didn't want it getting too spicy for us bland folks.  I think that was a mistake.  It needed more heat to bring some of the flavors out I think.  It wound up being a decent enough meal.  But since I've never had it before I have no idea if it's right or not.  I think the next time I make it when I add the peppers it'll be much better.  I expected it to be "spicy" but the main overtone was the ginger? I think?.  Which means either I screwed it up or that guy's spice blend wasn't ideal.

Things I did different:

I added a teaspoon of sugar while carmelizing the onions.

I puree'd the entire sauce in a blender after adding the crushed tomatoes. 

Definitely will try to make the dish again but will branch out and try other variations.

Queshank

The name garam massala has been bastardized. In America it simply means spices and Tikka Masala isn't  a hot dish. And the onions aren't supposed to be caramelized. What I'll do is give you one of my own recipes that I worked on a number of years. It's not hot but it can be pretty spicy id desired.

The marinade:

About 10 ounces of yogurt in a glass bowl. In a blender or food processor (preferable) add several garlic cloves, about an inch of peeled ginger cut into a few pieces. 2 tbsp of paprika. 2 tbsp of cumin. 1 tbsp of chilli powder. 1 tbsp of cinnamon. 1/2 tbsp of ground cardamon. 1/2 tbsp of ground coriander. 1 tsp of ground cloves. Blend and add just enough vegetable oil to make a paste. Add that paste to the yogurt and blend. (If you want to be like the clever guys in the kitchen add a few drops of red coloring and yellow coloring) Add your cubed chicken breast and mix to coat. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours ( 12 hours minimum)

Now the spice blend. The great thing about making your own spice blend is you can tailor it to your own tastes. Mine is heavy on cumin and turmeric and has a little sweetness to it.

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon ground chilli
2 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
3 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoons dry mustard

This looks like a a lot of spice but I use this for most of my Indian dishes. You won't use all of this.

Now the dish. Heat oven to 450. spread chicken on a baking pan and cook about 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool. (Take chicken off of the pan because the hot pan will continue to cook the chicken and overcooked white meat is dry and horrible)

In a blender or food processor (preferable) add one onion, several cloves of garlic and another inch of peeled chopped ginger. Heat pan on medium heat with 5-6 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion mixture and cook about 7-8 minutes. The goal is to soften the onion and render out some of it's flavor. You don't want any color on the onions. Add 2 tablespoons of green curry paste (available in most food stores in the Asian section). Next start adding the spice blend a tablespoon at a time and stir to mix. If it looks a bit dry add some oil. I add about 5 tablespoons of spice. Next add 1 28oz can of tomato sauce. Not pasta sauce. Just tomato sauce. Bring to simmer. Taste. Add spice and curry paste if desired. Start adding the cream a bit at a time and adjust seasoning if needed. When happy with sauce add the chicken and simmer until hot. Serve over basmati rice (Uncle Ben's microwavable rice is great for this) and of course naan bread. (most markets sell naan bread. Trust me, naan bread is essential for dipping).

A few bits of random info:

The yogurt is not used for flavor. The acid and enzymes tenderize the chicken and make it easier for the chicken to absorb the spices. If you want remove excess yogurt before cooking off the chicken. If you don't it won't affect the flavor.

The more spice you add the longer you need to cook before you add the chicken so the sauce is not grainy.

I don't care what any chef says I do not believe chicken meat can really absorb a lot of flavor. I think most of the curry flavor is in the sauce not the chicken. Therefore use boneless chicken thighs if you want. They are usually much cheaper and much more difficult to over cook and dry out.

Curry sauces are simply simmering sauces. You can cook most anything in them. When you find a sauce you like make a lot of it and keep in the fridge. Then for dinner put some in a pan, bring to a simmer and add whatever you want. An easy and quick supper.

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Rodney Your Teas Ready wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:49pm:
The name garam massala has been bastardized. In America it simply means spices and Tikka Masala isn't  a hot dish. And the onions aren't supposed to be caramelized. What I'll do is give you one of my own recipes that I worked on a number of years. It's not hot but it can be pretty spicy id desired.

Well talk about noob errors on my part.  Not having used all of these spices I wasn't really sure what to expect.  And my wife has acid reflux issues at times so didn't want to make that much and have it be a belly burner for her.  And I got the totally wrong impression about carmelizing the onions from watching a few videos.  Now that I think about it this video did say "let them sweat".  I think it was a short Gordon Ramsay video where he added that teaspoon of sugar that gave me the impression they needed to be carmelized.  I imagine considering the amount of  onion, that had a big impact on the final product.

Quote:
The marinade:

About 10 ounces of yogurt in a glass bowl. In a blender or food processor (preferable) add several garlic cloves, about an inch of peeled ginger cut into a few pieces. 2 tbsp of paprika. 2 tbsp of cumin. 1 tbsp of chilli powder. 1 tbsp of cinnamon. 1/2 tbsp of ground cardamon. 1/2 tbsp of ground coriander. 1 tsp of ground cloves. Blend and add just enough vegetable oil to make a paste. Add that paste to the yogurt and blend. (If you want to be like the clever guys in the kitchen add a few drops of red coloring and yellow coloring) Add your cubed chicken breast and mix to coat. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours ( 12 hours minimum)

Now the spice blend. The great thing about making your own spice blend is you can tailor it to your own tastes. Mine is heavy on cumin and turmeric and has a little sweetness to it.

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon ground chilli
2 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
3 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoons dry mustard

This looks like a a lot of spice but I use this for most of my Indian dishes. You won't use all of this.

Now the dish. Heat oven to 450. spread chicken on a baking pan and cook about 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool. (Take chicken off of the pan because the hot pan will continue to cook the chicken and overcooked white meat is dry and horrible)

In a blender or food processor (preferable) add one onion, several cloves of garlic and another inch of peeled chopped ginger. Heat pan on medium heat with 5-6 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion mixture and cook about 7-8 minutes. The goal is to soften the onion and render out some of it's flavor. You don't want any color on the onions. Add 2 tablespoons of green curry paste (available in most food stores in the Asian section). Next start adding the spice blend a tablespoon at a time and stir to mix. If it looks a bit dry add some oil. I add about 5 tablespoons of spice. Next add 1 28oz can of tomato sauce. Not pasta sauce. Just tomato sauce. Bring to simmer. Taste. Add spice and curry paste if desired. Start adding the cream a bit at a time and adjust seasoning if needed. When happy with sauce add the chicken and simmer until hot. Serve over basmati rice (Uncle Ben's microwavable rice is great for this) and of course naan bread. (most markets sell naan bread. Trust me, naan bread is essential for dipping).

Thanks very much again!  I wasn't even sure how to cook the chicken once cubed so I simply cooked em in a frying pan until the largest chunks were 165 degrees.  I'm not sure I'll be able to get naan bread around here... or curry paste.  But I can certainly order the curry paste and pick up some naan bread next time I goto Minneapolis.  I'll try your recipe as soon as I get some of the bread.  That initial recipe left a HUGE PILE of leftovers... I didn't realize it was enough for 18 people once you put the rice on the plate.

Quote:
A few bits of random info:

The yogurt is not used for flavor. The acid and enzymes tenderize the chicken and make it easier for the chicken to absorb the spices. If you want remove excess yogurt before cooking off the chicken. If you don't it won't affect the flavor.

The more spice you add the longer you need to cook before you add the chicken so the sauce is not grainy.

I don't care what any chef says I do not believe chicken meat can really absorb a lot of flavor. I think most of the curry flavor is in the sauce not the chicken. Therefore use boneless chicken thighs if you want. They are usually much cheaper and much more difficult to over cook and dry out.

Curry sauces are simply simmering sauces. You can cook most anything in them. When you find a sauce you like make a lot of it and keep in the fridge. Then for dinner put some in a pan, bring to a simmer and add whatever you want. An easy and quick supper.

Have you ever considered writing a book or starting a cooking website? Smiley 

Queshank

IP Logged

Rodney Your Teas Ready
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Reply #15 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
Well talk about noob errors on my part.  Not having used all of these spices I wasn't really sure what to expect.  And my wife has acid reflux issues at times so didn't want to make that much and have it be a belly burner for her.

I wouldn't worry about your wife's tender belly. Most spices won't hurt it anyway. Most people equate spicy with hot. That's a misnomer. Spicy means lots of spice. Now if we were talking about a curry vindaloos I would advise your wife to run away and run fast. But we're taking baby steps. Learn the spices I listed and have some fun with them. Other than the chili powder in large amounts nothing I listed will upset her stomach.

Quote:
And I got the totally wrong impression about carmelizing the onions from watching a few videos.  Now that I think about it this video did say "let them sweat".  I think it was a short Gordon Ramsay video where he added that teaspoon of sugar that gave me the impression they needed to be carmelized.  I imagine considering the amount of  onion, that had a big impact on the final product.

Onions are a confusing thing. Bite one or smell one that has been cut and your eyes water and your toes curl. it's harsh and bitter and clears your sinuses. Onions slowly cooked in a pot are sweet. Sugar is usually added to quicken the browning (caramelization) process. Not to add to the dish. In a dish with a balanced Indian spice blend there should be no need for sugar for sweetening because the cinnamon and the cloves will take care of that.

Quote:
Thanks very much again!  I wasn't even sure how to cook the chicken once cubed so I simply cooked em in a frying pan until the largest chunks were 165 degrees.  I'm not sure I'll be able to get naan bread around here... or curry paste.  But I can certainly order the curry paste and pick up some naan bread next time I goto Minneapolis.  I'll try your recipe as soon as I get some of the bread.  That initial recipe left a HUGE PILE of leftovers... I didn't realize it was enough for 18 people once you put the rice on the plate.

My recipe will leave you with a few days worth of leftovers. Don't be afraid to add other foods to the sauce. Tofu, potato, Zucchini, squash, yams etc. If you want to go total chip shop make the sauce hot and then fry some chips and pour it over the chips. It's a British version of the diner classic fries and brown gravy.

Quote:
Have you ever considered writing a book or starting a cooking website? Smiley 

Queshank

Thanks for the compliment but I'll leave that to the people who really know what they're doing. I'd feel too self conscious.

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I've been sidetracked into making things I can "side dish" French fries with.  Bought a slicer and filled our frydaddy with oil, so using the oil until it's "icky" to make fries.  So ... cheeseburgers and fries, pulled pork sandwiches and fries, my wife's BBQ sandwiches (loose meat sandwiches) and fries, that kinda stuff has been on the menu the last week or so.  Been trying different ways of doing the fries from pre cooking at 300 degrees and then a fast finish at 375 to just dropping em in and guessing on when they might be done Smiley

I'm gonna try to get back to carbonara this week, and give your recipe for tikka massalla a try this weekend.  I'm also gonna start makin my own bread instead of buying it.  Having sunday be a day where the house is full of the smell of baked bread sounds like a fantastic idea.  Had to hunt for a loaf pan in this town for cryin out loud.

Queshank

IP Logged

Rodney Your Teas Ready
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Reply #17 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've been sidetracked into making things I can "side dish" French fries with.  Bought a slicer and filled our frydaddy with oil, so using the oil until it's "icky" to make fries.  So ... cheeseburgers and fries, pulled pork sandwiches and fries, my wife's BBQ sandwiches (loose meat sandwiches) and fries, that kinda stuff has been on the menu the last week or so.  Been trying different ways of doing the fries from pre cooking at 300 degrees and then a fast finish at 375 to just dropping em in and guessing on when they might be done Smiley

I'm gonna try to get back to carbonara this week, and give your recipe for tikka massalla a try this weekend.  I'm also gonna start makin my own bread instead of buying it.  Having sunday be a day where the house is full of the smell of baked bread sounds like a fantastic idea.  Had to hunt for a loaf pan in this town for cryin out loud.

Queshank

The key to making great fries is after you cut them let them soak in ice cold water for a half an hour. They will release a lot of their starch. Starch detracts from the flavor. You will see the water turn a milky color. Then rinse them and dry them. I cook them twice. first on lower heat until they are soft then higher heat to crisp the outside.

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Interestingly enough it took til now to search for "Quiznos Chicken Carbonara recipe".

And he starts by making an alfredo sauce then just adding bacon.  That's probably a bit more like the Quiznos sandwich.  But I'm still enjoying messing with "real" carbonara.

That guy is pretty funny but he tries a bit too hard.  I've looked at a few of his videos.  Entertaining even if I grimace once in awhile at his jokes.

The "soak" and then fry then refry was the technique I was finding makes the best fries.  I even added a squeeze of lemon juice to the soak based on a few suggestions...not sure it makes any difference.  I've been experimenting with thickness and already scrapped the vegetable slicer in favor of just slicing my own fries for thicker better tasting ones.  The slicer was giving me a few that got really tough because they were smaller bits from the potato corners (potato corners har I crack me up).  And I don't really like em that tiny anyway.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 7:23am
Print Post  
I followed your recipe for Tikka Massala over the weekend Bert.  Or as best I could between my neurotic "how many garlic cloves are several!" and "an inch of this width of ginger??"   Smiley I decided several was 6 average sized garlic cloves.

MUCH better than my initial trial run.  It had some of the same flavors as the one I tried earlier but was superior.

The house smelled amazing heh.  And it was damn fun to make with all of the components.

I never did find naan bread tho.  I thought about trying to make my own but thought that might be a bridge too far.  One of the clerks at our local hippy grocery store suggested Italian bread so we used that and it was good but I have a feeling we missed out on something.

While I won't make it too often it's going to be something like chili that I make every couple months and then eat for lunch all week until we're sick of it until a few months later we have it again.

The one thing I did differently is I just chopped the onions, then sautéed them and then puree'd the whole mix after adding the rest of the ingredients.  Couldn't find a straight up "tomato sauce" so went with crushed tomatoes again and wanted a smoother sauce so just did the whole process after cooking it.

I've now mastered French fries with our frydaddy.  Got rid of the vegetable slicer and started cutting my own, doing a presoak and then a double fry.

I'm skipping the carbonara and instead working on perfecting an alfredo sauce.  Once I've got that down I'll start mucking about with adding bacon.  (and start scheduling regular doctor visits)

Queshank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › CREAMY carbonara recipe?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog