Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › Gravy/Marinara/Tomatosauce wtfever
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gravy/Marinara/Tomatosauce wtfever (Read 2,802 times)
Queshank
Ex Member

Gravy/Marinara/Tomatosauce wtfever
Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:48am
Print Post  
(I think the Italians call it gravy hence my title)

My current project is reproducing a decent marinara sauce at home.  One of our favorite new meals is a baked Ziti recipe that I've been tweaking and I want to replace the canned spaghetti sauce I'm using with a home made recipe that I can perhaps jar for a month or two's supply and make on one Sunday every month.

For the record ... as far as I'm concerned the best spaghetti sauce ever made is the Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce.  I'm sure this will earn me much scorn Cheesy  But Chef Boiardi was no slouch.  And the sauce ain't the same as a can of Beefaroni.  So I'll be doing my best to emulate that taste.

Anybody have any suggestions?  I'm not totally attached to the Chef Boyardee flavor but will have to try to get as close to that as possible and walk it slowly away as everybody even my kid's girlfriend and boyfriend love the Ziti I've been making.  (Which couldn't possibly get any easier to make since the main ingredients are cheese, noodles and this canned sauce)

Queshank

IP Logged

The Wet Dreams of Mr Cousteau
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Re: Gravy/Marinara/Tomatosauce wtfever
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I'm confused. Are you asking for a Chef Boyardi recipe or a marinara recipe?

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Clemenza will show you how it is done.

But seriously, you gotta cook it with red meat in it, and do not strain the fat. 

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
The Wet Dreams of Mr Cousteau wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 6:51pm:
I'm confused. Are you asking for a Chef Boyardi recipe or a marinara recipe?

I'm asking for a way to duplicate the marinara in canned Chef Boyardi marinara sauce. Smiley So both hehe.

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Boyardee-Spaghetti-Sauce-pack/dp/B001684OTS/ref=sr_1_...

What I want to do is try to get a sauce that I can use in ziti or spaghetti or lasagna etc. Make a batch on a Sunday, freeze some for later in the week etc. The target "flavor" that will please everybody in my family is the canned Chef Boyardi sauce that even my folks had for spaghetti as a kid.

From there I want to walk it back and experiment with different combinations. I just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience "emulating" restaurant and brand name sauces and some tips before I start trying a bit of alchemy myself.

I'm trying to remove canned and processed foods from my family's diet. It's exceedingly difficult since both my wife and myself grew up eating Hamburger Helper and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese with hot dogs cut up in it etc, because until recently the most difficult thing I had cooked was reading the directions on a box or dumping cans in a bowl for the microwave. The craziest my family ever got with cooking when I was a kid was the dreaded liver or hot dogs and sauerkraut my dad used to make that had us hiding in the garage when we got within smelling distance of the house on our way home from school.

So if I can start creating a spaghetti sauce/marinara sauce with fresh ingredients and at least get in the target range for flavors everyone's used to ... I can at least make another step in the "free from preservatives" lifestyle I'm slowly working to adopt and get my kids to adopt.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Dec 30th, 2014 at 3:15pm:
Clemenza will show you how it is done.

But seriously, you gotta cook it with red meat in it, and do not strain the fat.

Smiley

I wonder if the "with meat" in the spaghetti sauce I grew up eating is because of that very reason.

I know people like to disdain Chef Boyardee products.  But I find it fascinating that this was a guy who started selling jars of his sauce because of the high demand for it.  People came into his restaurant asking to just buy the sauce. 

Queshank

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(I think the Italians call it gravy hence my title)

My current project is reproducing a decent marinara sauce at home. One of our favorite new meals is a baked Ziti recipe that I've been tweaking and I want to replace the canned spaghetti sauce I'm using with a home made recipe that I can perhaps jar for a month or two's supply and make on one Sunday every month.

For the record ... as far as I'm concerned the best spaghetti sauce ever made is the Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce. I'm sure this will earn me much scorn Cheesy But Chef Boiardi was no slouch. And the sauce ain't the same as a can of Beefaroni. So I'll be doing my best to emulate that taste.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not totally attached to the Chef Boyardee flavor but will have to try to get as close to that as possible and walk it slowly away as everybody even my kid's girlfriend and boyfriend love the Ziti I've been making. (Which couldn't possibly get any easier to make since the main ingredients are cheese, noodles and this canned sauce)

Queshank

Lots of sugar for the chillens was the chef's secret
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:37pm by billy.pilgrim »  

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:43pm:
Lots of sugar for the chillens was the chef's secret

Well...I doubt his restaurants had children as their main demographic Smiley  And it was through the popularity of his/their (3 brothers I think?) restaurants that their sauces took off.

But this is exactly why I'm trying to make my own sauces.  I'm trying to back off the sugar content slowly and wean my family off pre packaged and processed foods.

I mean just walk through a grocery store sometime and try to find crap without corn syrup in it.  It's insane.

I was first tuned in to how much sugar we Americans consume when my wife and I were trying to develop into full blown wine snobs.  Europeans drink much drier wines than we do.  We're raised on a diet of soda pop and sugared koolaid by comparison.  Ain't advertising grand?

Queshank

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.

Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 1st, 2015 at 2:33pm:
Well...I doubt his restaurants had children as their main demographic Smiley  And it was through the popularity of his/their (3 brothers I think?) restaurants that their sauces took off.

But this is exactly why I'm trying to make my own sauces.  I'm trying to back off the sugar content slowly and wean my family off pre packaged and processed foods.

I mean just walk through a grocery store sometime and try to find crap without corn syrup in it.  It's insane.

I was first tuned in to how much sugar we Americans consume when my wife and I were trying to develop into full blown wine snobs.  Europeans drink much drier wines than we do.  We're raised on a diet of soda pop and sugared koolaid by comparison.  Ain't advertising grand?

Queshank

No sugar. Really, just a pinch. A pinch or an 1/8 of a teaspoon is enough. For the rest of the spices use 2 or 3 times more than you think. Most spices should be measured by the Tablespoon.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

The Wet Dreams of Mr Cousteau
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 4:55am
Print Post  
If you are making your sauce from scratch roast the tomatoes first. That will bring out their natural sweetness and no sugar will be needed.

Simply cut them in half toss them in extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roast skin side up for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

IP Logged

LTx3
LNF Staffer3

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
The Wet Dreams of Mr Cousteau wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 4:55am:
If you are making your sauce from scratch roast the tomatoes first. That will bring out their natural sweetness and no sugar will be needed.

Simply cut them in half toss them in extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roast skin side up for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Agreed. The roasting does bring out the sweetness. Sweet onions help round out the flavors.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › Gravy/Marinara/Tomatosauce wtfever

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog