Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereScience and Wonders › '97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic '97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong (Read 3,530 times)
Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

'97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong
Jan 8th, 2015 at 6:23am
Print Post  
I am sure the thought police have something to say about this.

Quote:
1. What exactly do the climate scientists agree on?

Usually, the person will have a very vague answer like “climate change is real.”

Which raises the question: What is that supposed to mean? That climate changes? That we have some impact? That we have a large impact? That we have a catastrophically large impact? That we have such a catastrophic impact that we shouldn’t use fossil fuels?

What you’ll find is that people don’t want to define what 97% agree on–because there is nothing remotely in the literature saying 97% agree we should ban most fossil fuel use.

It’s likely that 97% of people making the 97% claim have absolutely no idea where that number comes from.

If you look at the literature, the specific meaning of the 97% claim is: 97 percent of climate scientists agree that there is a global warming trend and that human beings are the main cause–that is, that we are over 50% responsible. The warming is a whopping 0.8 degrees over the past 150 years, a warming that has tapered off to essentially nothing in the last decade and a half...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agre...

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Re: '97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Maps of the world are wrong too. The shapes are all wrong and camera's from space have proved it. Its really ugly though. I'll stick with our assumption map.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:51am
Print Post  
There is definitely an ecological crisis...and it is, like all the others crises besetting us, at bottom a spiritual crisis.

In a way of speaking Man is the stem that connects Heaven and Earth.  As this stem rots, things down here are bound to start to spin out of control.

But starting from a spiritual angle I would point out that I am not exempting our way of life from critique.

The entire idea that we all need to consume so much, that each one of us needs to have thousands of pounds of metal and fuel (among other things) at our disposal on a daily basis, is symptomatic of our spiritual malaise.

As to Forbes, all those people are concerned with is the making of money.  Of course such extremists are going to deny we are harming the environment...such an admission is bad for business!

This should be obvious.

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

Possibly Logical
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 6:23am:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agre...

It's not 100% wrong. It's probably closer to 5% wrong. A large majority of scientists that study global warming still do believe that greenhouse gasses lead to a noticeable appreciation in temperature.

The article itself makes also makes at least a few mistakes on the science of global warming. The most noticeable one is that if CO2 human activity affects the climate then there is a causal relationship between CO2 and temperature. This means that in all likelihood the warming has not stopped, it just means that the it is being counteracted by natural factors that lead to cooling.

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Please don't say the word "warm" right now. Its not this cold in Alaska.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

Paris
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Not member of a political
party or a Church

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  

"If you’ve ever expressed the least bit of skepticism about environmentalist calls for making the vast majority of fossil fuel use illegal, you’ve probably heard the smug response: “97% of climate scientists agree with climate change” — which always carries the implication: Who are you to challenge them?

The answer is: you are a thinking, independent individual–and you don’t go by polls, let alone second-hand accounts of polls; you go by facts, logic and explanation."

The only trouble about this claim is that this 97% agreement from climate scientists doesn't come from polls, but about the results of compiling published scientific studies. And these are facts, logic and explanation !

16 May 2013
A new survey in the journal Environmental Research Letters of over 12,000 peer-reviewed climate science papers, as the Guardian reports today. This is the most comprehensive survey of its kind.
Based on our abstract ratings, we found that just over 4,000 papers took a position on the cause of global warming, 97.1% of which endorsed human-caused global warming. In the scientist self-ratings, nearly 1,400 papers were rated as taking a position, 97.2% of which endorsed human-caused global warming. Many papers captured in our literature search simply investigated an issue related to climate change without taking a position on its cause.
Our survey found that the consensus has grown slowly over time, and reached about 98% as of 2011. Our results are also consistent with several previous surveys finding a 97% consensus amongst climate experts on the human cause of global warming.

Source

Paris (France)

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Possibly Logical wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:59am:
It's not 100% wrong. It's probably closer to 5% wrong. A large majority of scientists that study global warming still do believe that greenhouse gasses lead to a noticeable appreciation in temperature.

The article itself makes also makes at least a few mistakes on the science of global warming. The most noticeable one is that if CO2 human activity affects the climate then there is a causal relationship between CO2 and temperature. This means that in all likelihood the warming has not stopped, it just means that the it is being counteracted by natural factors that lead to cooling.

Apparently, what is really needed is a Quasi-governmental Central CO2 Bank that is tasked with ensuring warming stability (could you imagine the destructive temperature deflation had we not been lucky enough to have all this carbon emission?).  We could shoot for, say, 2% temperature inflation.

The fed staff tends to be former big bankers, so this new CO2 fed could be staffed by former Exxon and BP executives.

IP Logged

Just An Independent Bishop
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 2:15am
Print Post  

Are not the "thought police" ones like you that wish to ignore reality, and truth, for the sake of profit for the few? I notice you posted this thread, then quickly slink out the back door.

http://time.com/3656646/2014-hottest-year/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/2014-officially-hottest-year-on-record...

One big difference between 2014 and 1998 is that the latter was on the tail end of a super El Niño, which has the tendency to spike temperatures. In comparison, 2014 was the year of the almost El Niño.

Instead, record warmth in other parts of the Pacific as well as the hottest year on record in Europe were some of the main drivers in fueling the heat. Joe Romm of Climate Progress also notes that heat in Australia early in the year and California’s hottest year further contributed to the heat.

Seasonal temperatures also paint a picture of a planet that didn’t get a break. Spring, summer and fall were all record-setting hot. Last winter was the only season not to set a record, and even that was still the sixth-warmest winter.

IP Logged

Possibly Logical
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 4:08am
Print Post  
wyattstorch2004 wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 10:10pm:
Apparently, what is really needed is a Quasi-governmental Central CO2 Bank that is tasked with ensuring warming stability (could you imagine the destructive temperature deflation had we not been lucky enough to have all this carbon emission?).  We could shoot for, say, 2% temperature inflation.

Deflation, itself, is not the major concern. The concern is an unexpected decrease in price levels. An unexpected decrease in the price levels can cause contracts to become costly to one of the two parties contracting. For instance, unexpected deflation creates a tendency for people to want to default on loans.

Since contracts and investment returns adjust to take into account the level of inflation, the actual cost of inflation is a little more subtle. The cost of inflation is essentially the costs of effort to avoid the cost of inflation. Other effects generally get priced into contracts and investment.

Quote:
The fed staff tends to be former big bankers, so this new CO2 fed could be staffed by former Exxon and BP executives.

For the most part, the FED staff tend to be academic economists.

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer1

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2017 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Here's what I don't get. Why are so many religious people climate change deniers? Or have they just been hoodwinked by the Dollar is My God capitalists into thinking it's not real?

It seems perfectly reasonable to think that god is up there thinking to Herself, holy shizz I gave humans this really nice planet to live on and what do they do, they go and shit it up. Why can't they pull their heads out and do something about it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereScience and Wonders › '97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog