Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereMilitary Forum, History, Guns, Survival topics › What's your "sniper" rating
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What's your "sniper" rating (Read 3,732 times)
Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: What's your "sniper" rating
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
My best shot was appx. 800m with iron sights 5.56mm NATO through an L85a1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80

Target exposed (on range) for 3 seconds.... I hit it first shot.

I was VERY pleased.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:07pm:
My best shot was appx. 800m with iron sights 5.56mm NATO through an L85a1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80

Target exposed (on range) for 3 seconds.... I hit it first shot.

I was VERY pleased.

Good shot. The 5.56mm is real close to our .223.I have an AR-15 which is a .223 cal. The farthest I have ever shot a target at with it was 200 yards. The good rifle shooters told me that 800 yards is about it for the .223 or 5.56 because they get wobbly after that. It is a very small diameter bullet. Very high speed. Good thing for you too. A target at 800m some heavy bullets might take 3 seconds to get there, ha ha ha ha.

Smiley

Freedom&&&&

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 3:57pm:
Sniping with .45 ACP:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine

I've handled, but not fired, one.

Interesting weapon.

I had the pleasure of firing the paratrooper’s model with the folding stock. I fired tracer rounds out of it too. I swear they looked like they were going no faster than a tennis ball. One round bounced off a tree and lay on the ground smoldering. I couldn’t believe it. I don’t think that would be a good sniper rifle. I would prefer 30.06, 308, or 50 BMG for long range accurate shooting. I have a friend that was military, and he was Korean War veteran. Nice guy. I served my apprenticeship at the plant where he worked. He told me that it was possible to hit a 14 inch bull’s eye at 1000 yards with the Garand 30.06 rifle.
I have two 1911 style automatics. One I built myself. The other is a Colt target model that was done over by a very good gun smith. They are both 45s. In competition I shoot slow fire at 50 yards and the timed and rapid fire is at 25 yards. Yes they are accurate at 50 yards. I have seen many people shoot three and four inch groups. We shoot using only one hand. It is a lot easier with two. At one hundred yards I fired five shots at a metal target of a man and impressed an off duty police detective because I hit it every time, somewhere.  We only could hear the clank when the bullet hit. They say that getting hit with that heavy 45 bullet only going around 800 + feet a second is like getting hit by a car.

Smiley

Freedom&&&&

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
You shot a para de Lisle????? Must"ve been a repro. They only built one.

It wasn't a sniper weapon....meant for close range (50 yards) assasdination. Sentries mainly.

I thought NATO 5.56 is just .223"? Interchangeable?

Fast round. I was serving when we left the FN FAL (7.62mm NATO for the SA80 in 5.56mm. Lots of the guys who'd used FNs(w e called them "SLR") were dubiou of the new round... after seeing it in action less so. They were still dead with 5.56 in them.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Sep 26th, 2015 at 10:03pm:
You shot a para de Lisle????? Must"ve been a repro. They only built one.

It wasn't a sniper weapon....meant for close range (50 yards) assasdination. Sentries mainly.

I thought NATO 5.56 is just .223"? Interchangeable?

Fast round. I was serving when we left the FN FAL (7.62mm NATO for the SA80 in 5.56mm. Lots of the guys who'd used FNs(w e called them "SLR") were dubiou of the new round... after seeing it in action less so. They were still dead with 5.56 in them.

Those two bullets are just a bit different. The 5.56 and .223 have a slightly different shell case. And they are chambered a bit different and if you fire a 5.56 in the .223 and the bullet enters the rifling too early it builds more pressure that can lead to trouble. I have heard of the primers being blown out of the back of the shell. And the .223 is supposed to be a bit more accurate. I bought my .223 when Clinton was president. I am going by memory, but what I said is true if I remember right. I believe you can fire the .223 out of the 5.56 all right.
It was a Reising 45 cal. Folding stock rifle that I had the pleasure of firing. I also fired a German rifle similar to our American BAR. But it had a handle on top to carry it, and the magazine loaded and was on top of the rifle and the sights were on the left side of the gun. We called that one, Zelda. The original motorcycle club was well armed.
I fired some tracer bullets out of the 45. I swear they looked like they were no faster than tennis balls. And some bounced off trees and lay on the ground smoking. We had black tip armor piercing bullets to, but not in 45 Cal.

Smiley

Freedom&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereMilitary Forum, History, Guns, Survival topics › What's your "sniper" rating

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog