Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › "Saudi cleric rejects that Earth revolves around the Sun"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Saudi cleric rejects that Earth revolves around the Sun" (Read 12,678 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Re: "Saudi cleric rejects that Earth revolves around the Sun"
Reply #150 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:36pm
Print Post  

Seawolf wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 8:47am:
Did the Bible literally mean seven days in accordance to the Hebrew language?  Can you explain the garden of Eden in an evolutionary process?

So, do you accept the order of creation as given in Genesis 1:1-31 or Genesis 2:4-25 (the order isn't the same). 

IP Logged

Thor3
Ex Member

Reply #151 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 8:59pm:
You are hiding behind your belief, to avoid confronting uncomfortable facts.

No one intelligent enough to have served on a USN sub should demean themselves by pretending that workaday science has equal intellectual merit with Biblical explanations.

You cut yourself off from sensible discussion.

There are many morans who serve on SSNs. Seatard, for instance, cooked food and cleaned toilets.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #152 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 4:36pm:
So, do you accept the order of creation as given in Genesis 1:1-31 or Genesis 2:4-25 (the order isn't the same). 

Pluperfect

The ESV has a subtly different rendition.

Now out of the ground the LORD God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.

The ESV suggests a different way of viewing the first two chapters of Genesis. Genesis 2 does not suggest a chronology. That is why the ESV suggests using the style “the LORD God had formed every beast of the field.” Therefore, the animals being brought to Adam had already been made and were not being brought to him immediately after their creation. Interestingly, Tyndale agrees with the ESV—and Tyndale’s translation predates the KJV.

And after yt the LORde God had make of the erth all maner beastes of the felde and all maner foules of the ayre he brought them vnto Adam to see what he wold call them. And as Ada called all maner livynge beastes: eve so are their names.

Tyndale and the ESV are correct on this verse because the verb in the sentence can be translated as pluperfect rather than perfect and this is what the context demands. The pluperfect tense can be considered as the past of the past—that is to say, in a narration set in the past, the event to which the narration refers is already further in the past. Once the pluperfect is taken into account, the perceived contradiction completely disappears.

http://creationtoday.org/are-there-two-creation-accounts-in-genesis/

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #153 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:29pm
Print Post  

Ugh, I had the post all typed out, then when I hit send site goes down.  Tongue

Anyway, not gonna retype all that, but there is one thing I wanted to bring back from it, and that is the issue of translations, i.e., whether we should use Tyndale, KJV, etc., etc.

Which translation is used has a lot of bearing on how the Bible is read and understood (since we don't all read Hebrew or Greek).

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #154 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 8:47am:
I am not the one who is having problems.  You see, you have issues with the doctrine of the Old Testament.  Actually, you have issues with God as a whole.  One thing I have realized is that we try to define God in a way WE understand despite not realizing he is beyond our understanding.  We try to simplify him so that we can grasp God.  I am honest in that I can not entirely grasp God completely.  Afterall, he created us so why would any of us think we can fully grasp the Creator of life?

I see evidence with my eyes and what i have experienced personally.  Many like yourself attempt to simpllfy God by your own human understanding and if evolving out of nothing makes sense to you, more then a Creator, you will accept it even if it's not truly logical.  You don't grasp that I was on the other side regarding my prior life.  Heck, Paul killed Christians.  It was his mission to seek out Christians and to stone them and yet something transformed him entirely that he became one of the primary authors in the New Testament.  How do you go from perscuting Christians to becoming one of the most evangelizing Apostles in the history of the New Testament.  He had a transformation.

To you the Bible is foolishness.  1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I have no reason to doubt that the Bible is clear as to how life came into existence.  God commandmed it and it happened.  Some may think it evolved but I see to many conflicts in this.  Was Adam an ape?  Did th eBible literally mean seven days in accordance to the Hebrew language?  Can you explain the garden of Eden in an evolutionary process?  I can cite multiple issues I have with evolution as the world teaches.  I do believe we ADAPT to our environment but I do not believe we evolved in a process as the world teaches.  I see this between Christians as a side issue from something far more important then how God started life.  There was a purpose in God's plan for mankind and I think too many side issues thwart our priorities that should be more aligned with God's prioities.

Limey is right in that it is possible for the bible to contain both fact and fiction.

It does not have to be all fact or all fiction. That would be a false choice.

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

BangOn
Ex Member

Reply #155 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
glen65 wrote on Mar 1st, 2015 at 4:45pm:
It does not teach that the planet does not move, only that it cannot BE moved by human strength.

The passage says nothing about humans.
The Earth's path through space is subject to change.

The passage is contradicted by reality.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #156 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:38pm:
Limey is right in that it is possible for the bible to contain both fact and fiction.

It does not have to be all fact or all fiction. That would be a false choice.

The Bible contains parables and states it when discussed.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #157 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There are many morans who serve on SSNs. Seatard, for instance, cooked food and cleaned toilets.  Grin Grin Grin

Nah, they don't let unexceptional people on those boats, even in the less glamorous rôles.

Too much at stake; SSNs and the big boats are an order of magnitude more important than any other warship.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Fıddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #158 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:13pm:
The Bible contains parables and states it when discussed.

Indeed..  You and TL have much in common... an impenetrable bubble.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #159 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Fıddler wrote on Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:37pm:
Indeed..  You and TL have much in common... an impenetrable bubble.

Just because you haven't convinced me of an argument, it does not necessarily follow that I am impenetrable. It might mean that you haven't mounted a significant challenge.

It's possible.

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › "Saudi cleric rejects that Earth revolves around the Sun"

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules