Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › CEO Pay Is Not Rising Faster Than Pay For Average Workers
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CEO Pay Is Not Rising Faster Than Pay For Average Workers (Read 2,025 times)
TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Re: CEO Pay Is Not Rising Faster Than Pay For Average Workers
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 1:53pm:
I looked at the BLS data that the blog post in the OP cited.  It posts data about wages alone, not total compensation.  Nowhere are stock options, restricted stock, golden parachutes, severance packages, and other perks.

Right, that information must be sourced elsewhere.

Quote:
It is highly amusing that the blogger is accusing anyone else of "selective use of the facts".

Based on what?

He showed how people use a very narrow metric of CEO compensation in order to paint an inaccurate picture, not to mention a narrow metric of worker pay.

Have you found an inaccuracy in his argument?

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you are losing the argument, and know you do not have  a leg to stand on, you always fall back on your old reliable excuses. I think you always call that kind of tactic an "ad hom". Grin

That's more ad hom.

And you have said nothing to suggest that there is anything about what I have said that is not correct. So I don't know how you are winning anything.

Quote:
Ahhh, the old "comprehension" problem. The article mentioned nothing about how fast the wages of the average worker grew, only that CEO pay did not grow as fast as in the past.

Actually, it did. And I pasted it again for you to read.

So yes, that old comprehension problem is back again.

And it never really left.

Quote:
Oh my, yet another "ad hom", and still a false one.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, don't you know?

GIGO, Sioux. GIGO.

Quote:
And place more people in poverty, dependent on government assistance, while increasing the wealth of the 1%.

Sounds like the delusions of someone who does not understand the market process.

In reality, free markets do the very opposite of what you imagine they do. And regulation does the opposite of what you imagine it does.

Just about everything you think you know about how things work is wrong.

Quote:
As we discussed before the effect on lower skilled workers is minimal at best. 

That is not what we have discussed. We have discussed how lower skilled workers were made worse off because of minimum wage price controls, and in no small measure, and we have looked at only a fraction of the studies that bear this out.

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 3:07pm:
Right, that information must be sourced elsewhere.

It is not sourced elsewhere.  I found the exact numbers he cited, in the link he used as a source.  He said "the BLS data for all CEOs says CEOs made on average $138,380 in 2003 and $178,400 in 2013".  Found it.  And on that metric, he is basing his claim that CEO pay rose at a slower rate than worker pay.

But that metric is for wages alone.  He is accusing people of cherrypicking data, when that is exactly what he has done in his blog post.  He raises a good point in that it's not fair to compare the top fraction of 1% of CEOs to the entire labor market.  But it is equally unfair to base his findings on one measure of total compensation, when CEOs can often draw extraordinary income from those other channels.

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 4:00pm:
It is not sourced elsewhere.  I found the exact numbers he cited, in the link he used as a source.  He said "the BLS data for all CEOs says CEOs made on average $138,380 in 2003 and $178,400 in 2013".  Found it.  And on that metric, he is basing his claim that CEO pay rose at a slower rate than worker pay.

But that metric is for wages alone.  He is accusing people of cherrypicking data, when that is exactly what he has done in his blog post.  He raises a good point in that it's not fair to compare the top fraction of 1% of CEOs to the entire labor market.  But it is equally unfair to base his findings on one measure of total compensation, when CEOs can often draw extraordinary income from those other channels.

Alright, yeah, that's a fair point.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 1:53pm:
I looked at the BLS data that the blog post in the OP cited.  It posts data about wages alone, not total compensation.  Nowhere are stock options, restricted stock, golden parachutes, severance packages, and other perks.

It is highly amusing that the blogger is accusing anyone else of "selective use of the facts".

Didn't they leave out non-wage compensation in both categories?

Have the non-wage portion of worker compensation been rising?  What you might call "the all in cost"?

Do you have stats on these stock options, restricted stock, golden parachutes, severance packages and other perks?  I am sure they are moderately common in S&P 500 companies.  But that is the whole point of this thread: that so often CEOs, generally, and CEOs of the 500 of the largest companies are seen as synonymous.  While, in reality, they are not.

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
wyattstorch2004 wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 9:43pm:
Didn't they leave out non-wage compensation in both categories?

Have the non-wage portion of worker compensation been rising?  What you might call "the all in cost"?

Do you have stats on these stock options, restricted stock, golden parachutes, severance packages and other perks?  I am sure they are moderately common in S&P 500 companies.  But that is the whole point of this thread: that so often CEOs, generally, and CEOs of the 500 of the largest companies are seen as synonymous.  While, in reality, they are not.

You are welcome to find that data and post it here -- my LNF time is limited so I won't do your research for you.  My point is absolutely relevant that this blogger accused people of picking data points, and then went on to focus on his own chosen data point.  Dishonest.

With regard to your point that the majority of CEOs of smaller companies get compensated much less, I imagine that a majority of them still do hold large fractions of their company stock, preferred stock, etc.  And they, through their hand-picked boards, are also able to pay themselves through dividends what they won't pay through wages.  These arrangements are common among CEOs.

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 2:34pm:
You are welcome to find that data and post it here -- my LNF time is limited so I won't do your research for you.

With all due respect, it was your claim, and thus your research to do.

Quote:
My point is absolutely relevant that this blogger accused people of picking data points, and then went on to focus on his own chosen data point.  Dishonest.

I don't think I claimed otherwise.

Quote:
With regard to your point that the majority of CEOs of smaller companies get compensated much less, I imagine that a majority of them still do hold large fractions of their company stock, preferred stock, etc.

Stock that, in it's entirety, is probably worth a fraction of the compensation of the often depicted S%P 500 CEO's wage.  But, again, perhaps you have statistics regarding this.

Quote:
And they, through their hand-picked boards, are also able to pay themselves through dividends what they won't pay through wages.  These arrangements are common among CEOs.

Again, this is just the sort of stereotyping and generalization that I was talking about in my first reply in this thread.  Do you have any stats on this?

I am not saying it isn't true, just that I don't see any support for the claims.

Also, as I think I mentioned (maybe not), every single worker that works within the laws of the US gets non-wage compensation as well.

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 2:34pm:
You are welcome to find that data and post it here -- my LNF time is limited so I won't do your research for you.  My point is absolutely relevant that this blogger accused people of picking data points, and then went on to focus on his own chosen data point.  Dishonest.

With regard to your point that the majority of CEOs of smaller companies get compensated much less, I imagine that a majority of them still do hold large fractions of their company stock, preferred stock, etc.  And they, through their hand-picked boards, are also able to pay themselves through dividends what they won't pay through wages.  These arrangements are common among CEOs.

Common maybe among massive corporations.  But you're average CEO, which will likely be just some dude who incorporated a small local company and fail within a couple years, will not have stock options to take advantage of.

Deny, Ignore, Evade, Distract, Place Blame Elsewhere!  Must defend the Trump Messiah!

But, but, but....but Hillary, but Lynch, but Obama, but Boosh, but Clinton!

IP Logged

Reload
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:23am
Print Post  
New pick up trucks 45,000.00?  they need to bring down the cost of products and make better quality then maybe people could afford vehicles and give then business.

IP Logged

Just An Independent Bishop
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 11:03pm:
Common maybe among massive corporations.  But you're average CEO, which will likely be just some dude who incorporated a small local company and fail within a couple years, will not have stock options to take advantage of. 

According to the article posted less then 20% of the CEO's actually "work". The other 80% rely on stocks, dividends, etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › CEO Pay Is Not Rising Faster Than Pay For Average Workers

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog