Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is it Healthier to be a Republican?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is it Healthier to be a Republican? (Read 2,904 times)
Queshank
Ex Member

Is it Healthier to be a Republican?
Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:23am
Print Post  
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/113340087216/is-it-healthier-to-be-republican

Quote:
I am not a joiner. But if someone were to ask me which political party they should join, that answer is easy. You should be a Republican, for the health benefits.

As soon as you join a political group you give up any claim to credibility or independent thinking. Your impulse to agree with your side will be too strong for anyone else to imagine your opinions are well-considered. So your reputation and credibility will be terrible according to everyone on the opposite side plus the independents. No matter which side you join, about 60% of the public will think you are mentally defective. Lets call that a tie for Republicans versus Democrats.

You probably want to join the party that is most often right. But you need not worry about that because once you join, it will seem as if everything your side does, or ever did, was right. Thats how humans are wired. So we can take being right out of the decision. And realistically, your one vote wont change any policies anyway. You just want to feel good about your participation, and joining any party gives you that.

So on most dimensions, it does not matter if an individual joins the Republican or Democrat party. But there is one way that it makes a big difference: Stress.

If you become a Democrat, you have to worry about climate change annihilating humanity on your watch. If you are a Republican, climate change isnt even a problem. Personally, I rest easier when I am not worried about a super-typhoon killing me during REM sleep.

Consider economics. If you are a Democrat, you have to balance all sorts of complicated economic theories in your head. That stuff is hard to understand and almost always wrong anyway. But if you are a Republican, all you need to know is that cutting taxes will make us all rich. Both approaches are ridiculous, but only one is easy. So take the easy, stress-free path. Then let the economy heal itself while the government is in gridlock, like always.

When it comes to bombing strangers in other countries, Democrats have to weigh all sorts of concerns about morality, national defense, relations with allies, economics, and likelihood of success. Republican have it easier here too. Regarding the Middle East, for example, all they have to do is ask themselves two questions:

1. What does Israel want us to do?

2. Do we have any bombs left?

I think you might say Democrats do the same thing. Fair enough. But if you are a Democrat you probably feel stressed about the decision because you must weigh so many factors. Republicans are barbecuing and thinking about football.

Democrats are always worried about issues of fairness and equal opportunity. For example, workplace gender issues are a huge deal for Democrats. But if you are Republican there is no problem there to fix, except for all the whining. And you can learn to ignore that too.

On other social issues, things are even easier for Republicans. All they need to do is wait to hear a Democrat propose an idea, then take the opposite side. This works every time because the Democratic Party likes to be proactive on social issues whereas conservative Republicans are more about small government and not changing what works so well (for white males). The fast-disagreer job is way easier than crafting legislation to reverse 300-thousand years of gender discrimination. So take the stress-free route.

When reading this, you might be tempted to think I identify with Democrats. I dont. I am just amused at how easy the choice of parties is if you dont like stress. Science tells us that stress is deadly. Some say stress is already an epidemic because it causes so many other health problems. So if you can reduce your stress, you come out way ahead.

Your irrational decision-making and your one vote wont help the country no matter which party you join. But dying from stress is clearly bad. So if you want to be happy and healthy, join the Republican Party.

I doubt you can take the politics out of this discussion and focus on the question of health benefits. But please surprise me.

And no need to tell me that if everyone took my advice it would be a catastrophe. I dont think we have to worry about people taking my advice.

Scott

This might resonate a bit.  And if it does or doesn't hopefully it's a reason to grin if we don't take ourselves too seriously.  I specifically thought of Jasmine while reading this for some reason.  I think it's the "Do we have any bombs left?" part.

Queshank

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Is it Healthier to be a Republican?
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:27am
Print Post  
To true Q...

Quote:
GROUCHO MARX
I'm Against It Lyrics

[Groucho]
I don't know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
No matter what it is or who commenced it,
I'm against it.

Your proposition may be good,
But let's have one thing understood,
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it.

I'm opposed to it,
On general principle, I'm opposed to it.

[chorus] He's opposed to it.
In fact, indeed, that he's opposed to it!

[Groucho]
For months before my son was born,
I used to yell from night to morn,
And I've kept yelling since I first commenced it,
I'm against it!

Lyrics from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net" rel="nofollow">eLyrics.net</a>

To true...

Greg

"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:

This might resonate a bit. And if it does or doesn't hopefully it's a reason to grin if we don't take ourselves too seriously. I specifically thought of Jasmine while reading this for some reason. I think it's the "Do we have any bombs left?" part.

Queshank

I like it!  Cheesy

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Queshank
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 3:51pm:
I like it! Cheesy

Smiley  I thought you might.

TL, it's ironic that we had that conversation yesterday and I stumbled across this this morning.  It ties in nicely I think but entertainingly.  The author highlights some variables that are being weighed by each side.

Queshank

IP Logged

Capt. Lola B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Bronze Swimming Certificate

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:

This might resonate a bit. And if it does or doesn't hopefully it's a reason to grin if we don't take ourselves too seriously. I specifically thought of Jasmine while reading this for some reason. I think it's the "Do we have any bombs left?" part.

Queshank

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Incidentally, this is why I join every party.  I like to hedge my bets.

"I'm a tranvestwhite and ask that you please use my preferred racial pronoun, "human."  -The Captain

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Definitely some fair points here.

I think partisans generally are happy living outside the reality based community.

Take left wingers and their desire to constrain and reign in big firms through government regulation, whole being oblivious to the ways in such regulations protect entrenched interests at the expense of small upstarts.

The net neutrality issue is a recent case in point. Many who supported this idea are now having buyers remorse, such as Netflix.

The same dynamic is at work with minimum wage laws, which are thought to be improving the lot of the unskilled by those on the left, when the reality of the situation is quite the reverse.

Republicans have a similar blind spot when it comes to the relationship between intellectual property and innovation. They also tend to ignore the many ways in which projecting power abroad makes limited government at home impossible, or the truism that you can't support prohibition and individual liberty at the same time.

It seems to me that if you find yourself aligning with one partisan ideology or the other, you most likely hold on to some rather fantastic opinions regarding the nature of reality.

It seems to me that excessive partisanship in either direction is unhealthy. For when we adopt such views we tend to see the opposition as the destroyer of all that is holy and good, and our party and it's ideas as the unvarnished truth.

So every debate or election is a struggle of good against evil. That tends to be stressful.

So I think a non-partisan point of view might actually be the most healthy.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:47pm by TowardLiberty »  

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Trumpublican

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Queshank

IDK about healthier,.. but it's definitely sexier  Smiley

IP Logged

Phillip 2.0
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:43pm:
IDK about healthier,.. but it's definitely sexier Smiley

I'm sorry, Josie, did you say something?  Wink

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Trumpublican

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Phillip 2.0 wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:45pm:
I'm sorry, Josie, did you say something? Wink

Were you distracted by my sexiness, Philly?

IP Logged

Phillip 2.0
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:51pm:
Were you distracted by my sexiness, Philly?

Boobs and sexy eyes tend to do that, yes.  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is it Healthier to be a Republican?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules