Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Atlanta cheating scandal teachers go to cells in hand-cuffs
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Atlanta cheating scandal teachers go to cells in hand-cuffs (Read 4,523 times)
Zephyr
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Re: Atlanta cheating scandal teachers go to cells in hand-cuffs
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Redbeard wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:05pm:
Maybe they did! I don't know but maybe they don't in the case of a criminal conspiracy! Remember over 30 other teachers turned states evidence and pled to lesser charges.
They actually had pizza parties and sat around erasing and changing answers on the kids test. From what I read the ones convicted of racketeering were supervisors and the teachers tasked with administering the test! These people don't belong in a classroom!! Sad Sad

I would guess the Unions would stay away from this, or out of the spotlight, so they dont get bad poblicity,(cover there asses)

I agree,they dont belong in classrooms.

Maybe they can get jobs as liberal politicians Grin

IP Logged

Redbeard
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Obama- he lies!!

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Zephyr wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:11pm:
I would guess the Unions would stay away from this, or out of the spotlight, so they dont get bad poblicity,(cover there asses)

After they get out of jail? Shocked Shocked

Greg!

IP Logged

Zephyr
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Redbeard wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:50pm:
After they get out of jail? Shocked Shocked

I highly doubt they will get prison time for this.

The most they will get is, probation and maybe pay restitution?

So where else are they going to get jobs?

IP Logged

Redbeard
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Obama- he lies!!

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Zephyr wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:55pm:
I highly doubt they will get prison time for this.

The most they will get is, probation and maybe pay restitution?

So where else are they going to get jobs?

Quote:
They include teachers, a principal and other administrators, who were accused of falsifying test results to collect bonuses or keep their jobs in the 50,000-student Atlanta public school system. A 12th defendant, a teacher, was acquitted of all charges by the jury.

The racketeering charges carry up to 20 years in prison. The convicted former educators are set to be sentenced later this month.

"This is a huge story and absolutely the biggest development in American education law since forever," University of Georgia law professor Ron Carlson said. "It has to send a message to educators here and broadly across the nation. Playing with student test scores is very, very dangerous business."

A state investigation found that as far back as 2005, educators fed answers to students or erased and changed answers on tests after they were turned in. Evidence of cheating was found in 44 schools with nearly 180 educators involved, and teachers who tried to report it were threatened with retaliation.

Similar cheating scandals have erupted in Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Nevada and other public school systems around the country in recent years, as officials link scores to school funding and staff bonuses and vow to close schools that perform poorly.

Thirty-five Atlanta educators in all were indicted in 2013 on charges including racketeering, making false statements and theft. Many pleaded guilty, and some testified at the trial.

Former Atlanta School Superintendent Beverly Hall was among those charged but never went to trial, saying she was too sick. She died a month ago of breast cancer.

Hall insisted she was innocent. But educators said she was among higher-ups pressuring them to inflate students' scores to show gains in achievement and meet federal benchmarks that would unlock extra funding.

Over objections from the defendants' attorneys, Superior Court Judge Jerry Baxter ordered all but one of those convicted immediately jailed while they await sentencing. They were led out of court in handcuffs.

"They are convicted felons as far as I'm concerned," Baxter said, later adding, "They have made their bed and they're going to have to lie in it."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/58447a404ff34413be536de642a38a99/former-atlanta-e...

This judge is serious and really pissed by their actions and attitude! They could get 20 years! I don't believe they will get that much but I don't think he will let them walk clean either! Shocked Shocked

Greg!

IP Logged

Zephyr
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Redbeard wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 9:09pm:
This judge is serious and really pissed by their actions and attitude! They could get 20 years! I don't believe they will get that much but I don't think he will let them walk clean either! Shocked Shocked

If you really think about it, even if they dont do any prison time, there lives will be ruened

Lets say they are convicted. they are ordered to pay restitution.

Thats pretty bad punishment

It will be on there record for the rest of there lives, making it difficult to find work.

I dont think they should do prison time. It was a non violent crime and I think just a felony conviction is punishment enough

I wont loose any sleep if they do prison time but I think its a waste of space in our prison systems

Just my opinion Cheesy

IP Logged

Redbeard
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Obama- he lies!!

Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Zephyr wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 9:27pm:
If you really think about it, even if they dont do any prison time, there lives will be ruened

Lets say they are convicted. they are ordered to pay restitution.

Thats pretty bad punishment

It will be on there record for the rest of there lives, making it difficult to find work.

I dont think they should do prison time. It was a non violent crime and I think just a felony conviction is punishment enough

I wont loose any sleep if they do prison time but I think its a waste of space in our prison systems

Just my opinion Cheesy

Lets say they are convicted? They have been convicted and are awaiting sentencing. They could be facing 20 years. In the mean time the judge remanded them to jail!! Shocked Shocked

Greg!

IP Logged

Zephyr
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Redbeard wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 9:33pm:
Lets say they are convicted? They have been convicted and are awaiting sentencing. They could be facing 20 years. In the mean time the judge remanded them to jail!! Shocked Shocked

OK "ARE" convicted

I still think what I said.

But I could be wrong, you see Wall street people and Tax cheats go to prison all the time.

I think for these teachers, time served and a conviction is punishment enough

It will be fun to see what they get though Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Zephyr wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:11pm:

The only thing the union can do is to provide them with lawyers, but this is a perfect example of how much control the unions have over what is being taught and how it is measured. (very little).  Common Core and teacher merit pay is not an idea of the unions.

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

Possibly Logical
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Redbeard wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 7:19pm:
Exception? There were 44 teachers charged in this. most turned states evidence against the remaining 12. These are supposedly professionals but were convicted of racketeering. If this is the moral standards of this profession it is time to clean house. Sad Sad Sad

I would imagine that this form of wide-scale cheating is very rare. The number of people involved in such an action means that it is almost impossible for them not to get caught. Individual teachers cheating is another story and is probably more common; however, this can easily be dealt with. It is very difficult for teachers to cheat and not leave statistical evidence of them doing so. People are very bad at randomizing, so all you have to do is look for patterns that show teachers are cheating. 

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Apr 5th, 2015 at 8:07am:
The only thing the union can do is to provide them with lawyers, but this is a perfect example of how much control the unions have over what is being taught and how it is measured. (very little).  Common Core and teacher merit pay is not an idea of the unions.

Some of us know. It is the idea of an overreaching government who thinks one shoe fits all.  Cirriculum needs to be a joint effort between the states and the parents, not the feds.  They are too far disconnected to what is really needed in our schools.  Too many politicians who sit inside a bubble called DC.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Atlanta cheating scandal teachers go to cells in hand-cuffs

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog