Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Short little video on Indo-European langauges.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Short little video on Indo-European langauges. (Read 331 times)
Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Short little video on Indo-European langauges.
Apr 22nd, 2015 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Video just names the major Indo-European languages (that is, these languages bear enough similarities at all levels as to have had a common ancestor language at some far date) and shows locations of speakers on map.

Having so many different yet related languages gives a lot of opportunity to people interested in philology.  I suppose the more Indo-European languages you learn, the more the similarities become apparent and the easier it becomes to learn a new one.

J.R.R. Tolkien knew 14 Indo-European languages, alive and extinct, mostly of the Germanic family.

The East Indian scholar Rama Coomaraswamy I believe spoke (or at least could read) pretty much every living Indo-European language and also dead ones like Latin and Sanskrit.

Christ Pantocrator

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Short little video on Indo-European langauges.
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Apr 22nd, 2015 at 11:56pm:
Video just names the major Indo-European languages (that is, these languages bear enough similarities at all levels as to have had a common ancestor language at some far date) and shows locations of speakers on map.

Having so many different yet related languages gives a lot of opportunity to people interested in philology.  I suppose the more Indo-European languages you learn, the more the similarities become apparent and the easier it becomes to learn a new one.

J.R.R. Tolkien knew 14 Indo-European languages, alive and extinct, mostly of the Germanic family.

The East Indian scholar Rama Coomaraswamy I believe spoke (or at least could read) pretty much every living Indo-European language and also dead ones like Latin and Sanskrit.

They skipped Latin, and zoomed on to the romance languages which are derived from it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Short little video on Indo-European langauges.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules