Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Earth Day predictions: 1970
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Earth Day predictions: 1970 (Read 3,167 times)
wildhorses
LNF Representative2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Earth Day predictions: 1970
Reply #30 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:05am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 9:36am:
in the 1970's I recall being taught in school that it was global cooling that would do us in...the theory was carbon emissions would form a layer and keep the sun out...they had all sorts of models to "prove" the scientific theory...

I don't remember anyone making claims to actual overall global cooling....but I do remember the claim that carbon emissions would eventually create a layer that would at least partially block out the sun. 

According to their theory, days would become darker.  Some scientists claimed this could produce colder days, but others said it would not.  The opposition said that due to the carbon emissions barrier, heat rising from the earth would not be able to easily escape into the atmosphere...so there would be no effect on the daily temperature. 

They claimed that people would have to use a lot more electricity because they would need more light during the day and that crops could suffer.  Some saying that we would have to start using lighted greenhouses and such.

BUT.....and this is the part where I had to part ways with them....they had PROOF of this THEORY.   Really?  If they had actual PROOF then it would be scientific fact, not scientific theory.  At least that is the way I saw it at the time. 

IP Logged

Made IN USA
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 11:18am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Fıddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #32 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 11:38am
Print Post  
wildhorses wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:05am:
I don't remember anyone making claims to actual overall global cooling....

It was in the popular press but never made it past peer review in scientific circles.. Folks like our science illiterate far-right friends can't tell the difference.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #33 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Fıddler wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 11:38am:
It was in the popular press but never made it past peer review in scientific circles.. Folks like our science illiterate far-right friends can't tell the difference.

I know that the far right are much more informed than you. Your problem is that you are stuck and living on the left wing propaganda.

Smiley

Freedom

IP Logged

AmericanMom
LNF Representative2

Reply #34 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 9:58am
Print Post  
I have posted before about how Global Cooling was the accepted theory in the 70's and early 80's. News stories and documentaries were produced, people were told the earth wouldn't last , we were all going to freeze yadda yadda yadda . 
I find it comical how the left jumps in and just disregards the hypocrisy which is the global climate cooling/ warming / changing scheme.

IP Logged

Fıddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #35 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
AmericanMom wrote on Apr 25th, 2015 at 9:58am:
I have posted before about how Global Cooling was the accepted theory in the 70's and early 80's. News stories and documentaries were produced, people were told the earth wouldn't last , we were all going to freeze yadda yadda yadda .
I find it comical how the left jumps in and just disregards the hypocrisy which is the global climate cooling/ warming / changing scheme.

Impending "Global Cooling" was never an accepted theory. All news stories found in the popular press about "cooling" can be traced to handful of misinterpreted academic articles concerning the newly detected rising carbon dioxide levels. The vast majority of peer reviewed science papers during the 60s /70s on the subject indicated a warming trend.

As for trusting documentaries.. I gather you also believe in Bigfoot, UFOs and the Loch Ness monster too..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Earth Day predictions: 1970

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules