Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Events that helped shape your political beliefs
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Events that helped shape your political beliefs (Read 3,625 times)
Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Events that helped shape your political beliefs
Reply #20 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Working as a forestry operative (lumberjack) in the late 80s... The UK had a forestry strategy and all timber wasunder state control.

I started cutting trees just as this ended.

The profit was being redirected.

The lads were subject to a startling decrease in income and an equally startling increase in accident rates.

Shortly after, l joined the Army.

Northern Ireland made me think, hard, about rights and wrongs.

There's more, but l can't make any of it funny Jasmine, sorry.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:41pm:
There's more, but l can't make any of it funny Jasmine, sorry.

You don't have to make it funny, Limey. Not everyone is as hilarious as Spatula. Smiley

I appreciate your response. Smiley

Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:23am: "I think a #16 seed will upset a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament."

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #22 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:49pm:
You don't have to make it funny, Limey. Not everyone is as hilarious as Spatula. Smiley

I appreciate your response. Smiley

Well, despite our very finely distinguished political positions, we are Joint Best Newcomers so l do try to treat your threads with a degree of courtesy and deliberation.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  

Jasmine wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:20pm:
What events in our history helped shape your political beliefs?

Hard to say with regard to events during my lifetime. Maybe the Clinton impeachment hearings, as it lead to quite a bit of study of The Federalist Papers, which in turn lead to a greater appreciation of Hamilton, whereas prior Jefferson was foremost in the political firmament for me.

Historical events have had much more impact, for example, my study of the Civil War era, more recently my study of Texas history and various social movements in the South and West, and most significantly, my years submerged in Medieval history and philosophy. It was through that study that I read Machiavelli's The Prince and sunk my roots in his work.

Regardless of where my beliefs have wandered, eventually I always come back to that Florentine diplomat.

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #24 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
My conversion from atheism to belief in God, to Christianity.

My belief in the Perennial nature of Truth...that is, God expresses Himself endlessly, in all places and all times.† The forms (mythologies, religions) through which God expresses Himself will change over time, inevitably old forms die and new ones are born, but even in the darkest times there is always some form through which men can access the Truth.

My understanding of traditional metaphysics, such as it is.

All my other beliefs, belief in caste society, localism, monarchy, low-tech, etc., stem from my religious/metaphysical beliefs.

I would like to think for the most part my belief system is a unified whole, with as little arbitrariness in it as is possible.† Though of course, even the best will make mistakes (not that I am the best).† Grin

But I can say that a Christian should always put their religion first in all questions.† If one does not understand this, than they do not really understand the nature of religion.† It is either total dedication or nothing.

When a political question comes up, the last thing a Christian should do is say "What do republicans think about this?" or "What do conservatives think about this?"

You must first ask how your religion would respond to this question, and go from there.†

Christ Pantocrator

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

Ars Longa, Vita Bert
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #25 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
spectacula wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:27pm:
I have lots of energy to go around.† There is plenty for anyone with a lower IQ than me.†

LOL.

Internet bullies like yourself are pathetic. You come to anonymous forums and say things to faceless people you would never say if they were standing in front of you because they would break your nose.

Impressive.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Many things over the years I have noticed. It seems every time democrats are in power I pay more taxes. Also it always seems the country slows down and all people do not do as well. I lived in Connecticut most of my life. Very few republicans have been governors there, and the two republicans I know about were crooked. The taxes in that state, and the laws are crazy. And if you check, you can see that most democrat states are the same. NY, Mass., RI, NJ has Christie, so you know I donít want him for a president, republican or not. Cal., Maryland, and quite a few more. I like it when most of the corporations are working three shifts, and people can work 10 hours a day and 5 on Saturday. Then I know republicans are in charge, and all is well. People can pay their bills, own their home and new car and enjoy the week end time off.

Smiley

Freedom

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Ars Longa, Vita Bert wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:30pm:
LOL.

Internet bullies like yourself are pathetic. You come to anonymous forums

"Fora".

Carry on

Quote:
and say things to faceless people you would never say if they were standing in front of you because they would break your nose.

Impressive.

IP Logged

Ars Longa, Vita Bert
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #28 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 10:54pm:
"Fora".

Carry on

Yeah I know. Clever people use it to alert everyone to their cleverness. I'll just stick with forums. I guess I'm just a literary chav.

IP Logged

Thor3
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:20pm:
2. SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BILL OF 1998: This was a local issue. There was a ballot to determine whether Hawaii should allow same-sex marriages. By this time, I had somewhat gotten more interested in politics, thanks to Monica-Gate. I really felt compelled to vote out the immoral politicians, and this gay marriage issue to me was the height of the good vs evil debate. I made it a point to vote for the first time, and I was elated when the measure was struck down by more than a 2-to-1 margin. Of course, the gay movement didn't quit. They couldn't get their way via people's vote, so they circumvented the process and had it pushed through political channels a couple of years ago.

Why does every search result for 'what did Jesus say about gay people?' result in a 404 error?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Events that helped shape your political beliefs

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules