Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › Roasting Turkey
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Roasting Turkey (Read 1,699 times)
Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Trolls exterminated while
you wait.

Roasting Turkey
Nov 18th, 2015 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Starting Wednesday of next week I'll be smoking some turkeys and pork shoulders for friends and family but I thought I'd pass along one of my favorite ways to cook a turkey in a conventional oven..
So..

Turkey Roasted in a Paper Bag

You'll need . ..

A Turkey(Thawed, Rinsed and Remove Giblets)
A Clean Large Paper Bag (Craft Paper Works)
Kosher Salt
Softened Butter(Real Butter)
Poultry Seasoning (Fresh is better)
    2 t Sage ground
    2 t Rosemary ground
    1⁄2 t Nutmeg (if you don't have one of these.. you need one)
    1⁄2 t Fresh(mandatory) Black Pepper
    1 t Thyme ground
    1 t Marjoram
    1 t Onion Powder
--------------------------------------------

Day 1
The day before cooking, loosen the skin by running your hands under the skin of the breasts and legs. This makes for great crispy skin .. 

Spread the butter under the skin all over the breasts and legs of the bird.  Season each breast and each leg under the loosened skin with a healthy pinch of Kosher salt and your freshly made poultry seasoning and rub it around. 

Wrap your turkey in plastic and place in the fridge.

Day 2
Move rack to the lower third of the oven.  Pre-heat oven to 375o

Remove the plastic wrap from your turkey and liberally butter the outer skin of the entire bird. 

Season the skin with your Kosher salt and freshly made poultry seasoning.  I don't stuff turkey but I do fill the cavity with aromatics.. Onion, Cerery, Sprigs of Rosemary..

Tie the legs together and tuck the wings ..    

Spray you roaster with Cooking Spray (Pam) and place your turkey on the roaster rack breast up.. (a rack isn't absolutely required but the results will be better if the bird stays above the juices ).

Insert a wired thermometer in the thick inner part of a thigh..   

Cut the bottom out of a large clean paper bag.. Cut down one side so that you have a large rectangular sheet of paper.. (again craft paper works.). 

Oil the entire piece of paper.  Loosely wrap the turkey with the oiled paper bag tucking the edges under the bird.

Turn the oven temp down to 325o.  Put the roaster/turkey (don't put on the roaster lid) in the pre-heated oven.  After an hour, turn the roaster 180o every 30 minutes.

I cook by temp so I'm looking for 160-165o.. If by time go with 13 minutes per pound as the bag helps cook the bird a little faster.

After done allow at least 30 minutes for the meat to cool and the juices to be reabsorbed before slicing.  

For Extra Crispy Skin.. At about 150o cut an X in the bag and pull back away from breast..

I like the paper bag method because the paper allows some steam/moisture to escape but retains enough to keep the turkey from drying out.. I've tried those Oven Bags/Brown-N-Bags but they stew the turkey more so than roast it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › Roasting Turkey

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog