Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › This information is not new, but I see little discussion about it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) This information is not new, but I see little discussion about it. (Read 2,659 times)
MikeGlosterIII
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

This information is not new, but I see little discussion about it.
Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
http://www.christianheadlines.com/columnists/al-mohler/the-scandal-of-biblical-i...

'Americans revere the BibleĖbut, by and large, they donít read it.'

"According to data from the Barna Research Group, 60 percent of Americans canít name even five of the Ten Commandments." ' No wonder people break the Ten Commandments all the time. They donít know what they are,' said George Barna, president of the firm."

Just out of curiosity, how often do you read Scripture ? I miss days here and there, but read it most days. And, without saying anything out loud, test yourself : how many of The Ten Commandments can you name. Since I went to Catholic schools in the pre-Vatican II era, I had the catholic version pounded into my head. So, I know all ten of their version, but have never bothered to memorize the Protestant Ones.

Let a man meet a she-bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool in his folly. Proverbs 17:12 (ESV)

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Re: This information is not new, but I see little discussion about it.
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I've been slacking in personal reading and study.† I spend many hours on the road and hear lots of podcasts, exegesis, sermons and lectures on passages of scripture.† But I have to get back on disciplined goals of personal study. I also want to memorize more passages that are edifying.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Generally, generalizations
are always false.

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
MikeGlosterIII wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
http://www.christianheadlines.com/columnists/al-mohler/the-scandal-of-biblical-i...

"According to data from the Barna Research Group, 60 percent of Americans canít name even five of the Ten Commandments." ' No wonder people break the Ten Commandments all the time. They donít know what they are,' said George Barna, president of the firm."

Just out of curiosity, how often do you read Scripture ? I miss days here and there, but read it most days. And, without saying anything out loud, test yourself : how many of The Ten Commandments can you name. Since I went to Catholic schools in the pre-Vatican II era, I had the catholic version pounded into my head. So, I know all ten of their version, but have never bothered to memorize the Protestant Ones.

In the past month I missed two days...and I think that was the first time in about a year and a half. I find I am reading more now than before.

I do think, however, that "reciting the 10 Commandments" is largely irrelevant. Knowing Jesus is the goal; not iterating 10 of the conditions of the Mosaic Covenant.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 2:52pm:
I've been slacking in personal reading and study.† I spend many hours on the road and hear lots of podcasts, exegesis, sermons and lectures on passages of scripture.† But I have to get back on disciplined goals of personal study. I also want to memorize more passages that are edifying.† †

Admirable. There are many great supplements to scripture; but no substitutes.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I try to read the Bible every day, but lately I've been missing a day here and there. I've read the Bible all the way through twice, most recently using a schedule.

Do any of you use a tablet or cell phone version of the Bible? Or do you still prefer the actual book? I notice more and more people at church using their tablets these days, although our Pastor tries to get everyone to bring their actual Bibles.

"Diamonds are forever...and so are the Four Horsewomen!"

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 11:28pm:
I try to read the Bible every day, but lately I've been missing a day here and there. I've read the Bible all the way through twice, most recently using a schedule.

Do any of you use a tablet or cell phone version of the Bible? Or do you still prefer the actual book? I notice more and more people at church using their tablets these days, although our Pastor tries to get everyone to bring their actual Bibles.

What's a "real Bible"? I don't think format matters. There are probably as many arguments for the superiority of the scroll over the codex (the "modern book format") as there are for the superiority of the book over the electronic version.

Actually, since I began primarily reading on my phone, I've reading more regularly. First thing in the morning, I pick up my phone, turn off the alarm, and begin reading. I have two Bible apps. I read an OT passage on the first, then switch to the second and read a NT passage.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
MikeGlosterIII wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:22pm:

That is because without the law there is no conviction of the conscious.† This would explain why most people think they are good in God's eyes.† You shall not steal, murder, commit adultery, lie, covet, honor your father and mother, no others gods, shall not worship false idols.† Now to check my answers.

7 out of 10.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I read on average 5-6 days a weeks.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 11:28pm:

It's great in a quick situation but I still prefer an actual Bible.

IP Logged

Mercy For All
LNF Moderator
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

are always false.

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 6:01pm:
It's great in a quick situation but I still prefer an actual Bible.

The Bible is the text, not the format. Arguably, a "real Bible" is in scroll format.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › This information is not new, but I see little discussion about it.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog