Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEconomics, Financial News › Central banks beat Bitcoin at own game with rival supercurrency
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Central banks beat Bitcoin at own game with rival supercurrency (Read 1,555 times)
TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Central banks beat Bitcoin at own game with rival supercurrency
Mar 16th, 2016 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Computer scientists have devised a digital crypto-currency in league with the Bank of England that could pose a devastating threat to large tranches of the financial industry, and profoundly change the management of monetary policy.

The proto-currency known as RSCoin has vastly greater scope than Bitcoin, used for peer-to-peer transactions by libertarians across the world, and beyond the control of any political authority.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/03/13/central-banks-beat-bitcoin-at-own...

This is a big development.

As many have suggested the truly novel thing about Bitcoin is the distributed ledger. This technology has untold application and will end up being revolutionary.

It is going to put middlemen out of business and thereby reduce transaction costs, enabling us to be richer.

The only disheartening thing about this is the fact that the technology will be used for the purposes of making the state more efficient. The concept was created in order to enhance freedom, not to be a tool for restricting it.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2016 at 9:16pm by admin »  

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Re: Central banks beat Bitcoin at own game with rival supercurrency
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Bump

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:41am
Print Post  
"RSCoin would be a tool of state control, allowing the central bank to keep a tight grip on the money supply and respond to crises."

Gee.  Who didn't see that coming? 

Queshank

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.

Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:43am
Print Post  
But despite my sardonic commentary above ... I have two major soapboxes.

One is health insurance middlemen.

The other is debit and credit card fees charged by banks.

Both are unnecessary parasites on our economy.  Anything we can do to get rid of either one is a big plus in my opinion.

Queshank

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.

Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:43am:

(rubs Queshank's head affectionately)

... if you just go for a proper, sensible, national health system, you won't need the insurance middlemen at all. They can all change careers, maybe use their skills in funfairs doing the three card trick, or become muggers.

Quote:

Couldn't agree more - they charge interest on balances, then charge you to use the damned plastic! Any other retailer doing that would get laughed at.

Mr. McDonald: here's your burger, Sir, that will be an even fiver with the drink and the fries, enjoy.

mr. Fatloser: why thank you Mr McDonald, I am sure I will

(Mr Fatloser walks, slowly because he has a variety of diet-related health issues, to a table and sits down to enjoy his modest repast)

Mr. McDonald (now standing by the table): Sir, can I have a further two pounds please (sub editor: insert 'dollars' here for US readers)

Mr. Fatloser: What? What for?

Mr. McDonald: Burger administration charge.

Mr Fatloser: Piss off.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:43am:

Both are unnecessary parasites on our economy.  Anything we can do to get rid of either one is a big plus in my opinion.

Queshank

Yeah I am all about whittling down their profits.

Though I do think health insurance makes sense for catastrophic care but I'd rather see mutual societies pooling their own resources in a voluntary and private program.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:56am:
(rubs Queshank's head affectionately)

... if you just go for a proper, sensible, national health system, you won't need the insurance middlemen at all. They can all change careers, maybe use their skills in funfairs doing the three card trick, or become muggers.

Surely you are not talking about single payer?

There is nothing rational or sensible about monopsony!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more - they charge interest on balances, then charge you to use the damned plastic! Any other retailer doing that would get laughed at.

Mr. McDonald: here's your burger, Sir, that will be an even fiver with the drink and the fries, enjoy.

mr. Fatloser: why thank you Mr McDonald, I am sure I will

(Mr Fatloser walks, slowly because he has a variety of diet-related health issues, to a table and sits down to enjoy his modest repast)

Mr. McDonald (now standing by the table): Sir, can I have a further two pounds please (sub editor: insert 'dollars' here for US readers)

Mr. Fatloser: What? What for?

Mr. McDonald: Burger administration charge.

Mr Fatloser: Piss off.

Well to be far, I would expect to pay less for a future burger, say delivered next week, than I would a burger in hand.

IP Logged

SapphireSpire
LNF Staffer

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
The concept of a distributed ledger dates back to the earliest incarnations of digital currency.  What's novel about Bitcoin is it's consensus mechanism because it protects against a number of exploits that prevented previous digital currencies from being totally decentralized and autonomous, especially the infamous 51% attack.

Central banks might improve their security and efficiency by incorporating certain elements of the Bitcoin protocol into their own electronic networks but they will never beat Bitcoin at it's own game because bank money can never be decentralized and autonomous.

Proud FairTax supporter.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
SapphireSpire wrote on Sep 21st, 2016 at 12:09pm:
The concept of a distributed ledger dates back to the earliest incarnations of digital currency.  What's novel about Bitcoin is it's consensus mechanism because it protects against a number of exploits that prevented previous digital currencies from being totally decentralized and autonomous, especially the infamous 51% attack.

Central banks might improve their security and efficiency by incorporating certain elements of the Bitcoin protocol into their own electronic networks but they will never beat Bitcoin at it's own game because bank money can never be decentralized and autonomous.

Just now seeing this post.

And that's a shame because it is a real gem.

I'd love to hear more about this consensus mechanism.

As far as what you say about central banks versus the real autonomous and decentralized rivals, I completely agree. By their nature, they will be less valuable for just the reasons you say. They cannot be truly autonomous and decentralized while also being sources of centralized control.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEconomics, Financial News › Central banks beat Bitcoin at own game with rival supercurrency

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog