Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEconomics, Financial News › Remember when people were screaming about that stock market meltdown a few months ago
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remember when people were screaming about that stock market meltdown a few months ago (Read 9,256 times)
out of here for good
LNF Representative3
The Writer's Croft

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Remember when people were screaming about that stock market meltdown a few months ago
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
out of here for good wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 4:49pm:
Debt – The U.S. government’s debt owed to the public has more than doubled. It is now more than $13.6 trillion, an increase of 116 percent since Obama first took office.

Total debt, counting money the government owes to itself, currently stands at nearly $18.9 trillion, up nearly 78 percent under Obama. Tongue

GOD BLESS  AMERICA!!  LAND OF THE FREE  HOME OF THE BRAVE !!

IP Logged

Dante
Ex Member

Re: Remember when people were screaming about that stock market meltdown a few months ago
Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Greg55_99 wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 4:45pm:
So what's your guess?

Me, I'm all right Jack...

Greg Wink

Spoken like a true self-centered lib.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 4:54pm:
Both.

I remember it happening and us discussing it.

I also remember making a prediction that it would happen in Oct of 2015- I was off by about 2 months.

that was a meltdown?

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 4:49pm:
Well, now, I am not going to sneeze at anything measured in trillions.  That's a big number.  But when a business looks at a balance sheet, it doesn't only look at its liabilities.  It looks at its assets, too.  The national assets probably do not run to $17 trillion, but surely the value of all the property (land, buildings aircraft carriers, airplanes, you name it) is not an insignificant figure. 

Plus, the real measure of a nation's debt is how it relates to GDP.  Ours is above 100%, but it's not the first time.  The first time was at the end of WWII.  And that percentage was worked down during some pretty good years, years during which the top marginal tax rate was a lot higher than it is now.  Now, some would argue economic growth, which did occur, would have been greater with lower tax rates. And that might be true.  But the percent of national debt to GDP would not have dropped nearly as much, if at all. 

This debt is manageable.  How do I know?  Because we've managed it before.  But tax cuts ain't the answer to managing it.

The debt is not managable ad we have never had a 19 trillion dollar debt and that does not include our total debt of over 64 trillion dollars when you include unfunded liabilities.  In just a few more years our debt to GDP will be over 100%, which means we will only be paying the interest.  That means we are broke.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:21pm:
The debt is not managable ad we have never had a 19 trillion dollar debt and that does not include our total debt of o  ver 64 trillion dollars.  In just a few more years our debt to GDP will be over 100%, which means we will only be paying the interest.  That means we are broke.

We're already in a situation where debt is more than GDP, just like we were at the end of WWII.   And we managed it then. We can manage it now.  But not when the solution to every issue is to "cut taxes."

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Spoken like a true self-centered lib.

F*ckin' A.  I got mine, get yours.  Don't whine to me if you missed the multitude of opportunities to improve your life and financial situation since Obama hit town.  If you want to cry the blues, do it on YOUR own time.  Me, I'm doin' just fine.

Greg

&&&&"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:21pm:
The debt is not managable ad we have never had a 19 trillion dollar debt and that does not include our total debt of over 64 trillion dollars when you include unfunded liabilities.  In just a few more years our debt to GDP will be over 100%, which means we will only be paying the interest.  That means we are broke.

Actually, unfunded liabilities is 101 trillion when it's included according to the Debt Clock.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:25pm:
Actually, unfunded liabilities is 101 trillion when it's included according to the Debt Clock.

We're doomed.  Woe is we.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Dante
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Greg55_99 wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:24pm:
F*ckin' A.  I got mine, get yours.  Roll Eyes Don't whine to me if you missed the multitude of opportunities to improve your life and financial situation since Obama hit town.  If you want to cry the blues, do it on YOUR own time.  Me, I'm doin' just fine.

Greg

Don't worry about me Skippy.  I'm sure that I could buy and sell a chump like you.  No matter anyway.  You're still a self-centered lib asshole living up to what I just said and repeating it.

Why don't you tell us what exactly Obama did to add to your wealth.  And don't be a weasel and say the stock market is up due to him.  Keep in mind that you brought up Obama, not me.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:36pm by »  

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 5:27pm:
We're doomed.  Woe is we.

I know, it's fun to spend our children and grandchildren's future!   Cheesy   Live large and let them pay off our debt long after we are gone.  Spend while the spending is good I say.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEconomics, Financial News › Remember when people were screaming about that stock market meltdown a few months ago

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog