Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereTechnology Forum - Computers › Ransom Ware
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ransom Ware (Read 1,210 times)
Harry
Ex Member

Re: Ransom Ware
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:25am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Feb 10th, 2017 at 7:14pm:
Just go away, stupid.

Sure.

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
Just do ctrl/alt/del to bring up task manager and exit your browser.

You can also do a power off reset.  Just do a power off and after 30 sec. power back up, and it will go through a system checks and reset.  You can do the same thing if you give someone control of your computer to fix it and they will not give it back.

Dem's new 2018 platform, we are trusted more than CNN!

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:55am
Print Post  
walkstall wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 12:40am:
You can also do a power off reset.  Just do a power off and after 30 sec. power back up, and it will go through a system checks and reset.  You can do the same thing if you give someone control of your computer to fix it and they will not give it back.   

Unless the remote client can lock out the local user's KB/mouse control. Wink

Many of these ransomware proggies will display a phone number, usually falsely attributed to Microsoft or Windows, for you to call. The person at the other end will walk you through allowing them remote access, ostensibly so they can "fix" your PC. They'll close with needing a credit card number to bill for their "services", which consists of embedding more software that'll pop-up later requiring more remediation and another billing.

Never, ever, call the number or give remote control to someone or firm you don't already know or have a legit support contract with.

Instead, reboot into safe mode if you can (F8 after BIOS loads but before Windows launches). Easier on Win7 than 8+ as MS killed the boot delay for some reason in Win8 on. Go to Control Panel->Programs then sort by date. If any programs have the same date as your issue (often toolbars or search providers) uninstall them. Then, clear your internet cache (control panel, internet options for IE) and reboot.

Download and run the following, in order.

Roguekiller

Malwarebytes

That's usually enough for non-domain connected home PCs. If it's an enterprise environment, your IT people will probably just reimage the machine.

Late edit: pour spilling
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2017 at 9:14am by Mojo-Jojo »  

For too long have we sat under the thumb of mankind! The time has come to *oppose* that thumb!

A nothing burger!

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:55am:
Unless the remote client can lock out the local user's KB/mouse control. Wink

Many of these ransomware proggies will display a phone number, usually falsely attributed to Microsoft or Windows, for you to call. The person at the other end will walk you through allowing them remote access, ostensibly so they can "fix" your PC. They'll close with needing a credit card number to bill for their "services", which consists of embedding more software that'll pop-up later requiring more remediation and another billing.

Never, ever, call the number or give remote control to someone or firm you don't already know or have a legit support contract with.

Instead, reboot into safe mode if you can (F8 after BIOS loads but before Windows launches). Easier on Win7 than 8+ as MS killed the boot delay for some reason in Win8 on. Go to Control Panel->Programs then sort by date. If any programs have the same date as your issue (often toolbars or search providers) uninstall them. Then, clear your internet cache (control panel, internet options for IE) and reboot.

Download and run the following, in order.

Roguekiller

Malwarebytes

That's usually enough for non-domain connected home PCs. If it's an enterprise environment, your IT people will probably just reimage the machine.

Late edit: pour spilling

Hmm...
I find just powering down you don't need the mouse or keyboard. 

Also your right.  IF MS see a problem they will fix it.  They will not ask you to call someone and they do not have someone call you.  They would send you a fix by way of an up date if there is a fix. 

Dem's new 2018 platform, we are trusted more than CNN!

IP Logged

Dying Breed

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:05am
Print Post  
walkstall wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 12:40am:

If you hit escape and hold it down often you can close that pop up window. You can also hit ctl-alt-del or just sign off and sign back on.

I've had this happen dozens of times. Never had any lasting effect from it.  Run a malware program if you are still doubtful.

“There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.”---- José N. Harris

IP Logged

michiganFats
LNF Representative2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #15 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Possumpoint wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 9:42am:
Was looking at videos and caught a Ransom Ware Virus when I called up a video purporting to show people at Walmart. Locked up my computer and repeatedly displayed a phone no. that claimed to be to Microsoft. Phone no. didn't check out on google. Took no further action and called my youngest son. He walked me through turning off the computer and restart using f8 to call up a repair/replace function of Microsoft OS 10. Computer back running as normal at no expense to me.

I know this is an old thread but I have to ask, were you logged on an account with administrative privileges? This is the one big mistake too many people make.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereTechnology Forum - Computers › Ransom Ware

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News