Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › $15/hour for fast food workers?? Bring on the robots.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) $15/hour for fast food workers?? Bring on the robots. (Read 1,116 times)
Lord Jim
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Re: $15/hour for fast food workers?? Bring on the robots.
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
The rise of the machines.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Goose wrote on Mar 13th, 2017 at 7:16pm:
Not a remotely valid comparison except if the claim is made that government regulation may cost jobs.

According to my research coal miners, when jobs are available, make 60-70 K a year starting out.  That is a tad bit higher than federally mandated minimum wage.

With the low skilled workers like fast food, their "skills" are easily replaced by automation.  Everything from taking orders, to filling sodas, flipping burgers and frying fries.  As folks like you strive to convince the world that their jobs deserve a minimum wage of 15.00, the cost of labor will rise above the cost of automation and the results will devastate those seeking entry level jobs or part-time fill in jobs. 

However, some truth in your statement exists as I said earlier.  A set minimum wage by either federal, state or local governments is in fact a government regulation, and as with many such regulations it can change the way business operate for the good or bad.

So you don't think mining is easily replaced with automation?  Besides, just because you make 60k a year does not mean you are not a low skilled worker.  You don't even need a high school education to mine.

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H. L. Mencken, July 26, 1920

IP Logged

Goose
LNF Representative3

There is no Try...Only
Do or Do Not

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 11:47am:
So you don't think mining is easily replaced with automation?  Besides, just because you make 60k a year does not mean you are not a low skilled worker.  You don't even need a high school education to mine.

Yes, mining has become more automated and certain jobs related to mining are certainly not around any longer due to that fact. 

However you position on education somehow being intrinsically linked to skilled versus unskilled is laughable at best.

You do not need a high school education for many things.  For example a blade smith.  However if you develop the skills needed to become a top notch blade smith you can make a very good living doing so.  I have a friend who is an engineer and wanted to get out of corporate and became an apprentice shoeing horses.  He now uses his newly acquired SKILLS that have nothing to do with his ceramic engineering degree to make over $200k a year.

I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself.--D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Goose wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 3:58pm:
Yes, mining has become more automated and certain jobs related to mining are certainly not around any longer due to that fact. 

However you position on education somehow being intrinsically linked to skilled versus unskilled is laughable at best.

You do not need a high school education for many things.  For example a blade smith.  However if you develop the skills needed to become a top notch blade smith you can make a very good living doing so.  I have a friend who is an engineer and wanted to get out of corporate and became an apprentice shoeing horses.  He now uses his newly acquired SKILLS that have nothing to do with his ceramic engineering degree to make over $200k a year.

I could say the same for a burger flipper.  Every job requires some skill.

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

IP Logged

PeterR
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:14pm:

Burger flippers make 200k a year?  Who knew?!

Says the guy who "lost his shit after January 20, 2009."
(Or, am I the guy who shit his pants on 9/11 and spent the entire GWOT behind the safety of his monitor?  I can never remember.)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad."

IP Logged

Goose
LNF Representative3

There is no Try...Only
Do or Do Not

Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:14pm:

Now your being stupid..big surprise...

Yes every job requires some sort of "skill".  All skills however are not created equal.  The "skill" required to flip a burger when a buzzer goes off is not the same as the skill required to properly wire explosives in a mine.  Of course you know this.

If you have "some skill" you can expect to make SOME money and if your only skills are those related to about 99% of the population then you can expect to be in the bottom 1% of earning power.  If your skills that you develop put you into an ever shrinking pool of those that master them, your earning power goes up.  As with any commodity, skills obey the law of supply and demand.

I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself.--D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

admin
LNF Administrator

To contact Admin send
a PM

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
- protesting for 15 dollars has already cost them how many jobs? - will those that lost the jobs blame the ones that organized the protests and protesters?

Welcome to the Liberty News Forum - News and Political Discussion Forum.
IP Logged

JohnnyBgood (RIP Chuck)
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
admin wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 5:45pm:
- protesting for 15 dollars has already cost them how many jobs? - will those that lost the jobs blame the ones that organized the protests and protesters?

No, they'll blame you. The republican

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Staffer1

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I insist you read this short story.

http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

We will eventually have to deal with the fact that automation will eliminate jobs that do not require high education/skill. This is not an 'if', it is a 'when', imo. Scary to think about, because we are already seeing signs of it.

My question to the group. When does 'lazy' become 'unable to find work because there isn't any?'

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
PeterR wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:50pm:
Burger flippers make 200k a year?  Who knew?!

Do you have any clue what the subject of this conversation is?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › $15/hour for fast food workers?? Bring on the robots.
LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog