Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereSports Forum › Does it bother anybody...
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Does it bother anybody... (Read 169 times)
Muckster
LNF Staffer1

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Does it bother anybody...
Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
...that professional sports are basically corporations? And from what I've heard even college sports (the big sports at least) are starting to get that way too. I find it hard to watch when I know profits figure into things to such a degree.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Re: Does it bother anybody...
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:30pm:
...that professional sports are basically corporations? And from what I've heard even college sports (the big sports at least) are starting to get that way too. I find it hard to watch when I know profits figure into things to such a degree.

It doesn't bother me. Take the NFL, for example. When the league started, it was probably a small and struggling entity. But the league grew and grew and grew, and now each NFL team is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and some are worth a few billion. Growth is natural. It's like a mom-and-pop store growing successful and eventually becoming a major company. It's the American dream fulfilled.

Anyway, when I watch the Raiders play a football game, I don't think of corporations or salaries or anything like that. All I care about is watching them beat their opponent. I'm able to separate the corporate stuff from the fun stuff.

"Diamonds are forever...and so are the Four Horsewomen!"

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Staffer1

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Consider this though. I once asked a friend why football was so boring. Both teams seem to run the same basic plays over and over with only minor variations. He made a good point I never considered - the bosses have alot of money on the line and don't want the coaches and players taking risks with fancy plays and anything out of the box. So they stick with the basics. That's a direct instrusion of money/greed into actual game play.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:29pm:
Consider this though. I once asked a friend why football was so boring. Both teams seem to run the same basic plays over and over with only minor variations. He made a good point I never considered - the bosses have alot of money on the line and don't want the coaches and players taking risks with fancy plays and anything out of the box. So they stick with the basics. That's a direct instrusion of money/greed into actual game play.

I doubt that. I don't see how trick plays are any more dangerous than regular plays. I think most teams play the same way because the league is a copycat league, and teams will follow whatever systems are proven to work. Some teams will try to be innovative, and it will work for awhile, but eventually the defenses catch on to what's happening.

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Staffer1

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Just saw a news ticker say St Louis was suing the NFL because the Rams are moving to LA. I'm assuming that was a purely profit-based corporate decision to move to LA. And then I think about all the young kids who idolize "their Rams", only to find out it's not a team, but really just a product to be bought and sold and moved around to suit shareholders, without any loyalty to the fans. I just can't stomach that.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 1:50pm:
Just saw a news ticker say St Louis was suing the NFL because the Rams are moving to LA. I'm assuming that was a purely profit-based corporate decision to move to LA. And then I think about all the young kids who idolize "their Rams", only to find out it's not a team, but really just a product to be bought and sold and moved around to suit shareholders, without any loyalty to the fans. I just can't stomach that.

Did the city of St. Louis complain when the Rams moved from L.A. to their city? I don't think so.

Each NFL team is owned by a private individual or company. The city doesn't own the team.

Let's take the Oakland Raiders, for example. The team has been playing in a decrepit, run-down stadium for the past few decades. When Raiders owner Mark Davis wanted to negotiate with the city of Oakland to build a new stadium, the mayor refused to commit any public funding for the project. The city also jacked up the stadium rental fee to the Raiders by 300 percent. The city of Las Vegas then offered to commit $750 million in public funds to help pay for a $1 billion new, state-of-the-art stadium for the Raiders. Of course, Davis took the deal, as any sane person would.

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Representative2

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 1:30pm:

I agree there is too much money now in sports. Players are cry babies with agents.

With that said, they still have that right to it. But, I also have the right not to even watch anymore. That's where I'm at.

There was a time my day was planned around Football games. Not anymore.

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Staffer1

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
Did the city of St. Louis complain when the Rams moved from L.A. to their city? I don't think so.

Each NFL team is owned by a private individual or company. The city doesn't own the team.

Let's take the Oakland Raiders, for example. The team has been playing in a decrepit, run-down stadium for the past few decades. When Raiders owner Mark Davis wanted to negotiate with the city of Oakland to build a new stadium, the mayor refused to commit any public funding for the project. The city also jacked up the stadium rental fee to the Raiders by 300 percent. The city of Las Vegas then offered to commit $750 million in public funds to help pay for a $1 billion new, state-of-the-art stadium for the Raiders. Of course, Davis took the deal, as any sane person would.
But everything you mention here makes my point. It's a business first, a sport second, and probably not even that. Add to it that the players will generally go where the money is (I've heard). Of course this doesn't apply to college sports hopefully. Though I've heard there are alot of money problems there too.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 1:08pm:
But everything you mention here makes my point. It's a business first, a sport second, and probably not even that. Add to it that the players will generally go where the money is (I've heard). Of course this doesn't apply to college sports hopefully. Though I've heard there are alot of money problems there too.

It's been that way for a long, long time. College sports is also a business. Like any business, there are the haves and have nots, exorbitant budgets, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. As a fan, you just have to recognize what it takes to produce a winning product on the field.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Y'all don't seem to have a firm understanding of the special monopolies created by Congress for professional sport team owners.

At least you should be able to see that they should build their own facilities rather than holding taxpayers hostage to whims of the owners

College is much more free market. If your podunk school wants to have a college football team you can. Just follow the rules.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereSports Forum › Does it bother anybody...
LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog