Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › What to do in Syria
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What to do in Syria (Read 2,844 times)
billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: What to do in Syria
Reply #70 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:13pm:
It's not just the right.

They have myopia when it comes to foreign policy, sure. And the war on drugs. But that same myopia can be found on the left in terms of things like minimum wage laws.

Politics is tribal and most people do not spend a great deal of time trying to get into the mind of someone from the other tribe.

And today it's far too easy to escape into an alternative reality where all the media you consume is tailored to your particular biases.

difference is

the minimum wage works, but if you can show me how to live without it, without throwing people to the gutter - I'll listen

fighting oil wars in the ME
and fighting against alternative energy at home is bullshit on the surface

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #71 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:20pm:
difference is

the minimum wage works, but if you can show me how to live without it, without throwing people to the gutter - I'll listen

The data suggests that it works to reduce the job prospects for the least skilled and the most vulnerable.

Recall that it was first proposed as a means of excluding black people from the job market, and thus it was thought to limit their ability to reproduce.

It's a eugenics program. And it does work.

And that's why it must be ended.

Quote:
fighting oil wars in the ME
and fighting against alternative energy at home is bullshit on the surface

It's corporate welfare.

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #72 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:24pm:
The data suggests that it works to reduce the job prospects for the least skilled and the most vulnerable.

Recall that it was first proposed as a means of excluding black people from the job market, and thus it was thought to limit their ability to reproduce.

It's a eugenics program. And it does work.

And that's why it must be ended.

It's corporate welfare.

just don't see it, but would like to see doc that it was created to exclude blacks from employment

personally, I see that we are all in the economy and our economy is strong enough to pay a living wage to anyone who works full time.

I also think that we need to have a discussion about life with an increasingly smaller work force and an increasingly larger economy.

of course the republicon wars are welfare

the wis-dum of acrhie

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #73 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:37pm:
just don't see it, but would like to see doc that it was created to exclude blacks from employment

Here is an article which references a great book on the subject.

We do not need to infer this eugenicist motivation. It is in the words of the proponents of progressive reform.

https://fee.org/articles/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage/

Quote:
personally, I see that we are all in the economy and our economy is strong enough to pay a living wage to anyone who works full time.

Economies do not pay wages. Companies do when they hire labor services.

Labor is like any other input- there is a price beyond which it does not make sense to hire the factor, given demand for the output and the price it can fetch on the market.

Go above that limit and the input will be idled, just like a piece of machinery.

That's the constraint that economic reality imposes.

Quote:
I also think that we need to have a discussion about life with an increasingly smaller work force and an increasingly larger economy.

I'm down for that too.

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #74 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
Here is an article which references a great book on the subject.

We do not need to infer this eugenicist motivation. It is in the words of the proponents of progressive reform.

https://fee.org/articles/the-eugenics-plot-of-the-minimum-wage/

Economies do not pay wages. Companies do when they hire labor services.

Labor is like any other input- there is a price beyond which it does not make sense to hire the factor, given demand for the output and the price it can fetch on the market.

Go above that limit and the input will be idled, just like a piece of machinery.

That's the constraint that economic reality imposes.

I'm down for that too.

Mr. Tucker should try out for the Olympics – way too much time travel and long jumps to attribute the eugenics discussions of the early 20th century to the current understanding of the minimum wage. Today you are much more likely to find the eugenics enthusiasts among today’s fascists. 

Economies certainly do pay wages. To have a free market there should be some equality of power. In one as big as ours it is too easy to take away from any one force to get the sort of imbalance we have now with labor becoming a smaller and smaller cost of the whole as the minimum wage falls further and further below the requirements for a living wage.

We can use our government to insure that working people participate in the successes of the economy they helped to build. To leave it to the market and the greed of the market to push wealth to a smaller and smaller elite is an injustice to all.

the wis-dum of acrhie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › What to do in Syria

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules