Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles (Read 679 times)
The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Re: Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles
Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
It's clear which side you are on...

And from the position of someone who values liberty and freedom, taking the side of the US state is to be a traitor.

I assume you mean you stand with Kim Jung Il and other enemies of the United States of America!  Got it!  Wink Wink

" The few will always act like the few.Ē

ĖMachiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
I assume you mean you stand with Kim Jung Il and other enemies of the United States of America!  Got it!  Wink Wink

Lol

Oh sure.

That's a real safe assumption!

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:14pm:
I did say "may" and I given some of the capabilities of our military, I think that this is a fair characterization of what may have just been witnessed by the world.  I do understand that FatBoy 'may' just not have been able to keep it up without support of his Chinese handlers, so to speak!

He is a pet poodle for the PRC. Is it safe to assume that, as China looks less and less Communist, NK looks more and more like an embarrassing throwback?

I wonder if this whole nukes thing might usher in a new,  if still China controlled,  regime there, regardless of any action by the wider world.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:06am:
I have to say, I was very sceptical about NK  getting these two technologies.  They are a small, weak state.

Nuclear weaponry took an enormous Allied effort.  I realise that much of the science has in effect been done for them but even so it must have been a remarkable achievement to get as far as they did.

Similarly with icbm tech, that stuff ain't easy.

Having got this far demenstraes their determination to get all the way.

I agree with you.

Presumably a system like you refer to must be placed near the launcher not the target?

That would mean, what, SK? Japan?  Naval asset? Standing air patrol? Subsea,  with sensors?

The plan with Brilliant Pebbles was to place in orbit a large number of kinetic kill vehicles.  There was to also be an integrated system of orbiting IR sensors called Brilliant Eyes.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:25am:
I wouldn't be too worried about NK missiles.

Really?  You're not worried about a weapon in possession of a lunatic which could (if it were an EMP warhead) kill 20% of the US population, and against which there's no effective defense??

Quote:
  There are far easier ways to get a bomb over to the US.  I imagine a Liberian-flagged freighter could light up in a harbor somewhere and cause a hell of a mess.  This ICBM thing is just the Kim method of agitating until he gets concessions.

Easily defended against.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:41am:
I am sure we have many more capabilities which even WikiLeaks (exposed by Snowden and Manning and other Traitors) have no knowledge of. We may have even messed with the telemetry of the failed N. Korean missile launch and unlike Obama who would have bragged about WHAT HE'D DONE, President Trump plays his cards pretty close to his chest (to protect sources, methods and capabilities).

That's been reported,  that they screwed it up with a computer virus, like the Iranian nuclear centrifuges.  I don't understand how they can do that in the NK computers aren't connected to a network, or the US has someone on the inside of the NK leadership, but that's basically a security problem that presumably the Koreans will can take care of. 

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  

patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:45pm:
That's been reported,  that they screwed it up with a computer virus, like the Iranian nuclear centrifuges.  I don't understand how they can do that in the NK computers aren't connected to a network...

Stuxnet - the virus [technically a worm] that was used on the Iranian centrifuges - was loaded via a USB stick.

IF we wanted to, or indeed did, infect North Korea's nuclear systems, it could be done even though they're not connected to any other network.

If you you're interested in Stuxnet and similar issues, you should check out Cyberspies by Gordon Corera.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:32pm by Demos »  

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:26pm:
The plan with Brilliant Pebbles was to place in orbit a large number of kinetic kill vehicles.  There was to also be an integrated system of orbiting IR sensors called Brilliant Eyes.

Sounds ambitious,  but lovely names.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:31pm:
Really?  You're not worried about a weapon in possession of a lunatic which could (if it were an EMP warhead) kill 20% of the US population, and against which there's no effective defense??

Easily defended against.

I am not so sure.

How many ISO containers move in and out of the US daily? Is there a foolproof check on every one? Where is this check? 5 miles out to sea, or in Port?

Does the US check every container on every vehicle crossing from Canada or Mexico?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 5:31pm:

Easily defended against.

ICBMs are rocket science, as the NK missile boys are learning.  It's non-trivial to get a rocket up there, let alone guide it to where it needs to go, arm it with a sufficiently small warhead, and resist all countermeasures (of which stuxnet is but one.) 

It's not that I'm not worried about Kim using a weapon -- it's that I don't see him mustering the ability to launch an ICBM.  It's far more likely that he'd put one on a ship, sail it near some port, and either set it off in harbor or lob it into a city with existing cruise missile tech or even a ship-based plane.

And I'm not too worried about even that because his more immediate threat has always been South Korea, which is armed almost as thoroughly as he is, and arguably with better equipment.  And they have strong motive to come down hard on him, should war break out.  This bluster with the US probably has more to do with impressing China and SK than it does with us.

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog