Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles (Read 1,018 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Re: Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles
Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:49pm
Print Post  

forgotten centrist wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:39pm:
This bluster with the US probably has more to do with impressing China and SK than it does with us.

Not sure that's entirely correct since they're developing this capability as a deterrent to what they perceive as a US threat (that's my understanding any way). So it definitely seems aimed at our policy makers.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:13pm:
Stuxnet - the virus [technically a worm] that was used on the Iranian centrifuges - was 

IF we wanted to, or indeed did, infect North Korea's nuclear systems, it could be done even though they're not connected to any other network.

If you you're interested in Stuxnet and similar issues, you should check out Cyberspies by Gordon Corera.

How did the USB stick (aka flash drive?) get into the secure area?  This would NEVER have happened on any secure project I ever worked on.  This implies the US (or Israel or whoever) had an agent on the inside.  I don't think US defense against nuke attacks in the future can be predicated on a continued lax security in iran or korea.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:25pm:
Sounds ambitious,  but lovely names.

Some aerospace chick probably thought them up.  Grin

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:21pm
Print Post  

patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:12pm:
How did the USB stick (aka flash drive?) get into the secure area?

Apparently by infecting systems in related companies, and then spread from there: "To get Stuxnet to its target machines, the attackers first infect computers belonging to five outside companies that are believed to be connected in some way to the nuclear program. The aim is to make each “patient zero” an unwitting carrier who will help spread and transport the weapon on flash drives into the protected facility and the Siemens computers" (Source).

Quote:
This would NEVER have happened on any secure project I ever worked on.

And yet, it happens in even the most "secure" environments. Bradley/Chelsea Manning uploaded information on to discs; Snowden brought USB drives into NSA facilities

Quote:
This implies the US (or Israel or whoever) had an agent on the inside.

Not necessarily. As the link above shows, they first attacked and infected the computers of related companies: "To get their weapon into the plant, the attackers launched an offensive against computers owned by four companies. All of the companies were involved in industrial control and processing of some sort, either manufacturing products and assembling components or installing industrial control systems. They were all likely chosen because they had some connection to Natanz as contractors and provided a gateway through which to pass Stuxnet to Natanz through infected employees" (Source). 

Quote:
I don't think US defense against nuke attacks in the future can be predicated on a continued lax security in iran or korea.

Cyberespionage/sabtoge is continuously evolving. For every security update, a new virus/worm or way for a hacker to enter your system is being developed. The only way to be completely secure is to get offline.

It's all pretty fascinating, and there is actually a documentary being made about Stuxnet.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 6:28pm:
I am not so sure.

How many ISO containers move in and out of the US daily? Is there a foolproof check on every one? Where is this check? 5 miles out to sea, or in Port?

Does the US check every container on every vehicle crossing from Canada or Mexico?

Congress passed a law to handle this in 2006, but I still worry about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFE_Port_Act

This would likely be an approach the islamofascists would take.  Meanwhile, the north Koreans are putting their efforts into ICBMs.  As long as they do that, we need to guard against THAT.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:28pm
Print Post  

So, the Stuxnet documentary is available on Showtime if you have that:

Zero Days

Haven't watched it yet.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #26 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:21pm:
Apparently by infecting systems in related companies, and then spread from there: "To get Stuxnet to its target machines, the attackers first infect computers belonging to five outside companies that are believed to be connected in some way to the nuclear program. The aim is to make each “patient zero” an unwitting carrier who will help spread and transport the weapon on flash drives into the protected facility and the Siemens computers" (Source).

And yet, it happens in even the most "secure" environments. Bradley/Chelsea Manning uploaded information on to discs; Snowden brought USB drives into NSA facilities

Not necessarily. As the link above shows, they first attacked and infected the computers of related companies: "To get their weapon into the plant, the attackers launched an offensive against computers owned by four companies. All of the companies were involved in industrial control and processing of some sort, either manufacturing products and assembling components or installing industrial control systems. They were all likely chosen because they had some connection to Natanz as contractors and provided a gateway through which to pass Stuxnet to Natanz through infected employees" (Source). 

Cyberespionage/sabtoge is continuously evolving. For every security update, a new virus/worm or way for a hacker to enter your system is being developed. The only way to be completely secure is to get offline.

It's all pretty fascinating, and there is actually a documentary being made about Stuxnet.

Both cases (allowing external network connections, or allowing someone to walk in and out of a secure area with a flash drive) is a shocking lapse in security.  If YOU were in charge of security at either place, would you allow such a manifestly STUPID policy?  Again, defense can't rely on any expectation of such continued levels of stupidity.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #27 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  

patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
Both cases (allowing external network connections, or allowing someone to walk in and out of a secure area with a flash drive) is a shocking lapse in security.

Absolutely, but the point is that it happens. 

Quote:
Again, defense can't rely on any expectation of such continued levels of stupidity.

It can't, but that's also not how Stuxnet worked.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #28 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:22pm:
Congress passed a law to handle this in 2006, but I still worry about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFE_Port_Act

This would likely be an approach the islamofascists would take.  Meanwhile, the north Koreans are putting their efforts into ICBMs.  As long as they do that, we need to guard against THAT.

Yeah...

I looked up the answer to my own question:

from Wiki....

Quote:
A large container ship has the capacity to carry in excess of 3,000 containers, making inspection impossible without disrupting shipment. More than 6 million cargo containers enter U.S. seaports annually, of which only 2% are physically inspected by Customs

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #29 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:13pm:
Some aerospace chick probably thought them up.  Grin

I'm sure the Brilliant Eyes supported the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Glastonbury in the early 90s.....

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Time to bring back Brilliant Pebbles

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog