Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › "No word on whether they think mustard is rude to Asians or ranch to Caucasians"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "No word on whether they think mustard is rude to Asians or ranch to Caucasians" (Read 351 times)
Abe
Ex Member

"No word on whether they think mustard is rude to Asians or ranch to Caucasians"
Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Roll Eyes Now for a lighter moment. Wink

Nineteen years ago, McDonald's debuted a popular, Chinese sweet and sour dipping sauce - Szechuan Sauce - as a marketing gimmick tied to Disney's release of their new Mulan movie.

Nevertheless, liberals took the moment to be outraged over the idea that McDonald's would bring back the Szechuan dipping sauce. Yasmin Tayag does not like it that "the country’s elaborate cuisine and varied flavor profiles were likewise distilled into that catch-all sweet-spicy-sour Chinese condiment... and served up alongside all-American chicken McNuggets." 

She writes, "Sichuan (the traditional spelling) is just one of the country’s 34 provinces — but it’s obvious that this instance of cultural and culinary reductionism doesn’t seem to hold as much weight. It’s not hard to imagine why." Actually it is hard to imagine why, but thankfully she goes on to explain that this controversy is good because it causes Americans to really ask what Szechuan sauce actually is.

That’s like asking an American what Southern sauce is — it isn’t anything. Sichuan province (which actually wasn’t recognized formally until the year 1286, well after Hua Mulan), with its spice-filled complex flavor profiles that include gustatory sensations like tingling numbness from Sichuan peppercorns and fiery heat from New World chilis, has a number of sauces, none of which are singularly representative of the region.

She goes to write:

Rick and Morty fans deserve to have their appetites for this now-mythical sauce sated, but not in relation to a live-action remake based on real Chinese folklore and culture. Asian-Americans already suffer from consistently one-dimensional portrayals in the media and only rarely get the opportunity to educate others about the differences between entire Asian nations, let alone nuances within an individual culture. Ultimately, what the Szechuan sauce effect does is flatten cultures that Western society deems too complex, too other to consider more carefully, and Asians have too often fallen victim to that judgment. Shocked Undecided (must be mighty powerful sauce!)

It sounds like another instance of a liberal looking down her nose at what normal Americans do -- run into McDonald's for a quick bite, not a lesson on Chinese history or on the cultural nuances of various regional foods. No amount of liberal hand-wringing will change that.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:48am by »  

IP Logged

Walking in a Wally Wonderland
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Re: "No word on whether they think mustard is rude to Asians or ranch to Caucasians"
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Just as they say that some things are "below regulatory concern" this represents one of the myriad of Left Wing outrages that are so absurd they probably are best left without notice or comment.  However, since they (the outraged Democrat crybabies) are so prolific with their hatred for all things American, it probably is good to highlight all of them, so Americans will grow weary and disgusted with the lunacy these people represent!

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: "No word on whether they think mustard is rude to Asians or ranch to Caucasians"
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Doesn't (or didn't) Wendy's have a chicken sandwich with that however-you-spell-it sauce?  Seems to me that I had a chicken sandwich with that on it, maybe 6 months to a year ago.  We were on our way to visit a son in Houston.  Dang, it was very spicy, but I'm proud to say that I ate it all and even enjoyed it............. to an extent.  Very spicy going down but okay going "out".

IP Logged

Jimmy S
LNF Representative

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Walking in a Wally Wonderland wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:08am:
Just as they say that some things are "below regulatory concern" this represents one of the myriad of Left Wing outrages that are so absurd they probably are best left without notice or comment.  However, since they (the outraged Democrat crybabies) are so prolific with their hatred for all things American, it probably is good to highlight all of them, so Americans will grow weary and disgusted with the lunacy these people represent!

And just this past Christmas, religious conservatives had their collective panties in a bunch because Starbucks coffee cups weren't Chritmasy enough.

Does that mean that conservatives are all crybabies? Are conservatives so prolific with their hatred for all things American, it probably is good to highlight all of them, so Americans will grow weary and disgusted with the lunacy these people represent? Does this represent one of the myriad of Right Wing outrages that are so absurd they probably are best left without notice or comment?

These are all important questions that need to be addressed.

IP Logged

Jimmy S
LNF Representative

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 9:29am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 5:57am:
Doesn't (or didn't) Wendy's have a chicken sandwich with that however-you-spell-it sauce?  Seems to me that I had a chicken sandwich with that on it, maybe 6 months to a year ago.  We were on our way to visit a son in Houston.  Dang, it was very spicy, but I'm proud to say that I ate it all and even enjoyed it............. to an extent.  Very spicy going down but okay going "out".

Riveting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › "No word on whether they think mustard is rude to Asians or ranch to Caucasians"

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules