Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › is being in charge so exciting really?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) is being in charge so exciting really? (Read 713 times)
Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

is being in charge so exciting really?
Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
OK so our Prime Minister has called a snap General Election for June 8.

This will look strange to you Colonials, with your fixed terms. In fact, we have fixed terms too, by Act of Parliament, but it has gaps big enough to drive a tank through.

Mrs. May is in an extremely unenviable position as PM. The country is divided over Brexit, with the intelligent 35% of whatever political party in despair at the victory of the stupid and nasty 35%.

Exactly in line with all sensible predictions, the long term outlook is rather bleak.

The actual fabric of the country is now in severe doubt; as a result of Brexit and the distribution of the votes, both Scotland and Northern Ireland may well leave the Union over a realistic timetable of 4 - 10 years.

Her own party is revealed as mendacious, divided and incompetent, and these traits are only going to be magnified over coming years.

However.

She is Prime Minister. And, by great good fortune (for her), the main opposition party is in a truly dreadful state. It is unlikely to win, even with the Conservatives in a serious mess.

She has called the election to give her a consolidated position and a 5 year Parliament.

Only a year ago, she was making very astute speeches against Brexit, which she was intellectually and politically opposed to. Now she will be standing as the PM who will deliver a Brexit entirely, or almost entirely, unlike that for which votes were cast.

Given her very clear position on Brexit, surely if she had any personal integrity or had the interests of her nation at heart, she would resign, and campaign for a changed decision on the matter.

So, my question. Is being in charge so exciting, so intoxicating, that a person wants it even when it's a poisoned chalice?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Re: is being in charge so exciting really?
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
It certainly has lured Trump into doing a job he truly loathes...

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:20am:

This will look strange to you Colonials, with your fixed terms. In fact, we have fixed terms too, by Act of Parliament, but it has gaps big enough to drive a tank through.

Mrs. May is in an extremely unenviable position as PM. The country is divided over Brexit, with the intelligent 35% of whatever political party in despair at the victory of the stupid and nasty 35%.

Exactly in line with all sensible predictions, the long term outlook is rather bleak.

The actual fabric of the country is now in severe doubt; as a result of Brexit and the distribution of the votes, both Scotland and Northern Ireland may well leave the Union over a realistic timetable of 4 - 10 years.

Her own party is revealed as mendacious, divided and incompetent, and these traits are only going to be magnified over coming years.

However.

She is Prime Minister. And, by great good fortune (for her), the main opposition party is in a truly dreadful state. It is unlikely to win, even with the Conservatives in a serious mess.

She has called the election to give her a consolidated position and a 5 year Parliament.

Only a year ago, she was making very astute speeches against Brexit, which she was intellectually and politically opposed to. Now she will be standing as the PM who will deliver a Brexit entirely, or almost entirely, unlike that for which votes were cast.

Given her very clear position on Brexit, surely if she had any personal integrity or had the interests of her nation at heart, she would resign, and campaign for a changed decision on the matter.

So, my question. Is being in charge so exciting, so intoxicating, that a person wants it even when it's a poisoned chalice?

Patriotism and Love of Country are not exclusively American.  Whenever the (your) nation is in peril, patriots of stout heart have heeded to call, as they say, and faced the opposition.  Indeed, Winston Churchill was ridiculed and marginalized until history proved him right and a majority of (your) people decided to stand up for freedom and liberty, in the face of overwhelming odds!  That was your finest hour.  Yet, that was then and this is now. Perhaps, GB finest hour is looming in the very near future!

" The few will always act like the few.Ē

ĖMachiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:53am:
It certainly has lured Trump into doing a job he truly loathes...

I think it was Mike Myers or some other comedian who said, at one of those press dinners Trump attended several years ago, that he (Myers) was surprised to learn that he (Trump) was considering a run for president as a Republican.  He (Myers) figured he had to be running as a joke.  He (Trump) scowled because he (Trump) has absolutely no sense of humor.

Trump never expected to be nominated or, having been nominated, elected.¬† He was as surprised as anybody was.¬† The good news for him, though, is that since he is an impulsive, unprincipled, narcissistic, sociopath, he has no problem sleeping well at night. He does not believe he is under any requirement, legal or moral or otherwise, to deliver on any promises he ever made whether oral or written.¬† He can do whatever he pleases whenever he pleases without fear of being "called out."¬† His guiding tenet is "do that which is best for me."  He loves attention, and being the president of the United States is about the best attention getting job there is on this planet.¬†

I, for one, am kind of glad he does not feel bound by any promises he ever made oral or written because it means he can be truly flexible.  And it seems like every day he is sort of reversing himself on something and prefacing it with a statement like "nobody knew how complicated or hard this was."  Well, of course, a lot of people knew that, but he didn't.  He thinks everything is basically a real estate deal.

This is fun.  This is a fun time.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:03pm:
Patriotism and Love of Country are not exclusively American.  Whenever the (your) nation is in peril, patriots of stout heart have heeded to call, as they say, and faced the opposition.  Indeed, Winston Churchill was ridiculed and marginalized until history proved him right and a majority of (your) people decided to stand up for freedom and liberty, in the face of overwhelming odds!  That was your finest hour.  Yet, that was then and this is now. Perhaps, GB finest hour is looming in the very near future! 

Yeah, maybe, but our PM was vehemently,  and convincingly, against Brexit 13 months ago.

I think she was right, but that's by the by.

The point is, she is working in exact opposition to her stated beliefs.

I can only assume it's because she doesn't want to not be PM, the only option if she were to come out against Brexit.

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:20am:

However.

I don't know that I agree that her continuing to serve means she has no personal integrity or does not have the interests of her nation at heart.  One of the unfortunate things about our systems of government is sometimes the stupid DO win elections.  As many have said, "elections have consequences."  Can she not campaign for a changed decision while still discharging her duties to accomplish Brexit by pointing out that this Brexit will NOT be the Brexit voters who supported it thought they were going to get?

I do realize there is the matter of "conflicts of interest" and she might be accused of deliberately mucking up the Brexit just so she could say "I told you so."  But there are ways to deal with that.  It would require complete transparency on her part, and that's a hard thing for politicians to do because it runs so contrary to their DNA.  It would require her to work toward the Brexit voted on in the least damaging way possible rather than making it worse than it has to be, all the while trying to get people to agree this is not a good thing to do and it might not be too late to change your mind.

Being a former colonial, I don't really know what's so bad about it, myself.  I do know that many over here compare Trump's election to your Brexit as if the two were peas in a pod, both being the rank and file thumbing their noses at the elite political establishment.  But ours is funny.  Yours does not appear to be so funny.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:03pm:
Patriotism and Love of Country are not exclusively American.   

Over the past decade the message here is "If you love America wave the flag and stand for the national anthem you're a racist bad person.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
JohnnyBgood wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:35pm:
Over the past decade the message here is "If you love America wave the flag and stand for the national anthem you're a racist bad person.

Bullshit.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
JohnnyBgood wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:35pm:
I would expect that most of the Brits have just about had it with the Islamification of their country and the assaults on their freedom of speech and the intolerant political correctness that has flowed out of the EU!

If GB doesn't stand up for its sovereignty and independence now, it will sure lose it!

" The few will always act like the few.Ē

ĖMachiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Apr 18th, 2017 at 12:45pm:
I would expect that most of the Brits have just about had it with the Islamification of their country and the assaults on their freedom of speech and the intolerant political correctness that has flowed out of the EU!

If GB doesn't stand up for its sovereignty and independence now, it will sure lose it!

Sorry, I have trouble keeping up with all the new names.

Are you a joke account as this post indicates, or are you genuinely ignorant?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › is being in charge so exciting really?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog