Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Jesus is not a copy of pagan gods
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jesus is not a copy of pagan gods (Read 3,075 times)
Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Jesus is not a copy of pagan gods
Reply #130 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:02am:
It's like seewolf's not even listening.

God came from nothing, but that's not a problem because he created everything... right! Roll Eyes

e·ter·nal
/əˈtərn(ə)l/

adjective

1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning:

Seems you are having a really difficult time understanding the word eternal so I posted the definition.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #131 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Capt. Obvious B.S.C. wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
I remember making a similar argument for a time.  How nice it must be to be a believer and believe in immortality or some kind of kush afterlife. But then I got mad at God.  He's a real shithead if you really examine Him.

I've decided I simply can not accept that some kind of intelligent benevolent force was responsible for all that we know about creation.  He was not a kind God but a bungling oaf and He needs to be taken down a peg. 

The ignorance of these remarks are pretty stunning.  The very God who came in the flesh, born in a manger, never had a place to lay his head, walked among the poor, the infirmed, the outcast.  The very God who demonstrated his lave by ALLOWING us to mock, spit on him, ridicule him, torture him and the crucify him in the most horrific manner known to man and he did so willingly and you hate him.  Amazing that this very God who died and the conquered death, so that your sins could be paid for, you hate.  Amazing remarks.  You will get to tell him this though I doubt you will.  I suspect that the reality of standing in his presence will simply be overwhelming even to the most hardened heart.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #132 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Yes, I have read the Bible through.

On two occasions,  I did it in one sitting, first in 1994, again in 2003.

I don't state that there is no God.

Again, please,  my opponent and friend (I hope it's OK to call you that, you fish head:)) read the relevant books.

I absolutely promise,  they will fire you up.

Not the Victorian era texts, the 1990s-today ones, primarily Dawkins (the man can hold an argument)  and Hitchens (aggressive and erudite), but also the footnotes and bibliography to their populist works.

Please.

You won't enjoy it, but it's going to do you intellectual good.

Read 'em.

I have no need to read them, I was already once on the other side.  The problem is I not only have the words of our Lord in scripture, I have witnessed first hand his miracles.  I just will never understand how people can honestly think life can create itself.  Using our knowledge and rational we can observe that a building did not build itself, or a painting paint itself so how exactly does creation create itself.  The logic behind this says it can not.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #133 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 7:50pm:
....I really,  REALLY,  want to be a believer and a Church of England Christian.

Unfortunately I can't because I think there's probably no God.

You'd fit in well with the COE clergy, then.  LOL

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #134 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 4:08pm:
Then you have an order of creation, which if interpreted allegorically, does not conflict with evolution.

It does, actually.  Genesis puts the creation of land vegetation in Day 3, sea animals in Day 5.  But there is a vast amount of evidence that life (including plants) began in the sea and migrated to land later.  Also, the creation of land animals supposedly happened on Day 6, after the creation of sea animals, but there is quite of bit of evidence that some sea animals have evolved from land-dwelling ancestors, such as the whales and seals.

But none of that is particularly important, because it is abundantly clear that Genesis is an epic poem, not an attempt to write the literal history of the universe.  The Bible has several examples of historical style (Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Acts), and Genesis 1-2 is nothing like them.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #135 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 12:03pm:
I have no need to read them, I was already once on the other side.  The problem is I not only have the words of our Lord in scripture, I have witnessed first hand his miracles.  I just will never understand how people can honestly think life can create itself.  Using our knowledge and rational we can observe that a building did not build itself, or a painting paint itself so how exactly does creation create itself.  The logic behind this says it can not.

Respectfully,  Seawolf,  you do need to read them.

We are discussing arguments here.

You don't make any.

I honestly,  truly,  think that a book like "the God Delusion"  would be a worthwhile experience for you.

It is emphatically not a venomous work (Prof. Dawkins is English).

If I were a believer I would ache to read it, at least,  if I were a believer who engaged with non believers or anti-religious people.

Pm me your address,  I will send you my copy.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #136 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 11:56am:
e·ter·nal
/əˈtərn(ə)l/

adjective

1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning:

Seems you are having a really difficult time understanding the word eternal so I posted the definition.

Mere words are not proof of anything otherwise we'd be up to our asses in pink polka dot unicorns.

Something that doesn't start is known in mathematics as impossibility.

Of course you're so much of a fanatic not to mention of a density akin to that of a neutron star that had you even heard of these notions you would have blocked them out, assuming that you even understood them in the first place.

Non sequitur:

Donkey Hoe Tay wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #137 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 4:53am
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:13pm:
It does, actually.  Genesis puts the creation of land vegetation in Day 3, sea animals in Day 5.  But there is a vast amount of evidence that life (including plants) began in the sea and migrated to land later.  Also, the creation of land animals supposedly happened on Day 6, after the creation of sea animals, but there is quite of bit of evidence that some sea animals have evolved from land-dwelling ancestors, such as the whales and seals.

But none of that is particularly important, because it is abundantly clear that Genesis is an epic poem, not an attempt to write the literal history of the universe.  The Bible has several examples of historical style (Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Acts), and Genesis 1-2 is nothing like them.

Yeah, a good clue on that is that genesis contradicts itself, stupidly, by repeating the same story but with notable variations.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #138 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:43pm:
Pm me your address,  I will send you my copy.

If I pm you mine will you send me a cheque?

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #139 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:13pm:

Evidence of an epic poem?  Well obviously I disagree but we will have our answers one day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Jesus is not a copy of pagan gods

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog