Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereThe House › My Hawaii
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Hawaii (Read 939 times)
Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

My Hawaii
May 4th, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
This thread is intended to showcase the beautiful state of Hawaii, my Island home. I feel very blessed to live here. Yes, Hawaii has its share of problems - after all, no place is immune from crime, moral decay, corruption, racism and greed - but I would never choose to live anywhere else.

So if you want to learn what's up in the Aloha State, this is the thread for you. Smiley

To start this thread, I will show this YouTube video of my all-time favorite vacation experience. Years ago, we were blessed to stay at the Kona Village Resort on the island of Hawaii. Kona Village is unlike any other resort in the Islands. Instead of hotel rooms or condo units, there are individual huts. Each hut is beautifully adorned to create a luxurious-yet-Hawaiian ambience. There are no TV sets or refrigerators. There aren't even locks. If I remember correctly, you'd place a coconut outside the door if you demand privacy or room service (one side says "Service" the other side says "Do Not Disturb").

Our hut was oceanfront. Stunning view! And guests would often spell out romantic messages on the black sand beach using white coral rocks.

There was a big halau (Hawaiian-style schoolhouse building) where guests could learn Hawaiian crafts and games. And there was a luau grounds for nightly luau events. At night, pathways were lit with torches.

Basically, it was as close to old Hawaii as you can get. I don't think I ever felt more relaxed or worry-free.

Unfortunately, a giant tsunami destroyed much of Kona Village in 2011. Currently, the resort is closed. The owners are hoping to reopen for business in 2019. I hope they succeed. I would love to return there for a weekend. Kona Village is the dream getaway experience.

Check it out:

"Diamonds are forever...and so are the Four Horsewomen!"

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Re: My Hawaii
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Here's something fun: About 7 or 8 years ago, before the debut of the new "Hawaii Five-0" TV series, the producers held a contest challenging different college marching bands to submit videos of themselves playing the "Five-0" theme. I forgot what the prize was (probably cash), but lots of schools submitted entries. I forgot who won, but I think the USC Marching Band by far had the best video. They had help from a couple of the show's stars, Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim. Check it out:

For comparison's sake, here is the University of Hawaii Marching Band's entry:

A trivia note: A couple of the Rainbow Dancers that you see in the video went on to become Miss Hawaii winners.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2017 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Want to learn some cool Hawaiian words? Let Auli'i Cravalho (the star of "Moana") give you a fast and easy tutorial.

A couple of the words she uses aren't actually Hawaiian. They're more slang.

IP Logged

Dying Breed

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Beautiful state.

“There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.”---- José N. Harris

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Party Leader

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2017 at 6:36am
Print Post  

If I was going to visit an Island paradise it would be Tahiti

Captain Cook said it is the most beautiful place in the world.

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

IP Logged

Dying Breed

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Luther wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 6:36am:
If I was going to visit an Island paradise it would be Tahiti

Captain Cook said it is the most beautiful place in the world.

On my bucket list for years. Someday.

“There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.”---- José N. Harris

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Been there.  Done that.  Many times.  It's never enough...

Greg

&&&&"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2017 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I'm not into surfing (at all), but I thought I'd share with you this YouTube video of one of Hawaii's most prestigious events: The Eddie Aikau Big Wave Surf Meet, affectionately known as simply "The Eddie."

Eddie Aikau was a big wave surfer and lifeguard. He was also a crew member of the Hokule'a, the famous Polynesian voyaging canoe. The Hokule'a and its crew would travel all over the Pacific, using only traditional navigation techniques (no modern equipment whatsoever). They would use the stars, sun, moon, currents, etc. to guide them. Anyway, on one of the voyages, the crew encountered a storm that causes the canoe to capsize. Eddie volunteered to try to swim to the nearest island to get help. He was never seen again.

The Big Wave event honors Eddie's memory. The event started in 1984, and only the world's most courageous surfers can compete. But here's the thing: The event is only "on" if the waves are of a certain gigantic size. As a result, "The Eddie" has only been held nine times in its history.

During the winter months, it's just crazy on Oahu's North Shore. People all around the island drive to the beaches to see the giant waves. Traffic is often at a standstill.

Enjoy!

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Went to Hawaii on R&R from Viet Nam.  One and only time I ever went into a titty bar.  There was a big bouncer, about 6 feet 8 inches tall, weighing about 380, who walked over with the topless waitress when she took my order, I think to let me know I better not do any grabbing.  But I never did anything like that anyway, unlike our current president.

Anyhow, I was used to paying 10 cents a beer in Viet Nam.  Stateside at that time I think beer by the bottle at a bar was a buck max.  I drank two beers and handed the waitress a $5 bill figuring on getting change.  She just stood there.  I asked her what was wrong and she said she needed another buck.  I did not leave a tip and never went into another titty bar. 

That was my Hawaii.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2017 at 8:13pm by EF »  

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Rodney Your Teas Ready
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2017 at 3:34am
Print Post  
I've wanted to go to Hawaii for years but it's so logistically tough. When I'm in the US it's a long haul since I'm on the east coast but when I'm back home in the UK it's a three day marathon. Perhaps if we could move the islands a little bit closer to San Diego.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereThe House › My Hawaii

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News