Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What's in a name
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What's in a name (Read 71 times)
Muckster
LNF Staffer2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

What's in a name
May 12th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Do most Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe that they all believe in the same god? I've heard it expressed as all three religions believe in the same Abrahamic god. Is this true?

IP Logged

Rathbone

Re: What's in a name
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
Do most Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe that they all believe in the same god? I've heard it expressed as all three religions believe in the same Abrahamic god. Is this true?

Most Americans say they believe in God. Around the world, religious Jews, Christians and Muslims say they believe in God, as do many people who do not identify with any formal religion.

But this statement is actually meaningless.

To cite one example, the God in whose name some Muslim extremists cut innocent peoples’ throats and violate women cannot be the same God as the God of those who believe God condemns such actions.
Who then argues that all those who say they believe in God believe in the same God?

Two groups make this argument. The first consists of people who have an anti-religious agenda: They say that all religious people believe in the same God in order to discredit God and religion. The second consists of people who have an inclusion agenda and wish to depict Muslims as believing in the same God as Jews and Christians (as indeed, some do – see below).

http://www.dennisprager.com/do-jews-christians-and-muslims-believe-in-the-same-g...

“There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.”---- José N. Harris

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Rathbone wrote on May 13th, 2017 at 2:45pm:
Most Americans say they believe in God. Around the world, religious Jews, Christians and Muslims say they believe in God, as do many people who do not identify with any formal religion.

To cite one example, the God in whose name some Muslim extremists cut innocent peoples’ throats and violate women cannot be the same God as the God of those who believe God condemns such actions.
Who then argues that all those who say they believe in God believe in the same God?

Two groups make this argument. The first consists of people who have an anti-religious agenda: They say that all religious people believe in the same God in order to discredit God and religion. The second consists of people who have an inclusion agenda and wish to depict Muslims as believing in the same God as Jews and Christians (as indeed, some do – see below).

http://www.dennisprager.com/do-jews-christians-and-muslims-believe-in-the-same-g...

It could be argued that not two people who say they believe in god, believe in the exact same god. Not two people have the exact same attitude toward god or what is permissible according to god's "law". I once questioned a pair of Jehovah's witnesses (just for fun) that once knocked at my door and discovered that these two differed on some points, even though they were supposed to be extremely close, belonging to the same close-knit religious community. 

Non sequitur:

Bert and the Technicolor nuns wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Staffer2

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Rathbone wrote on May 13th, 2017 at 2:45pm:

So I think your answer is Yes, there are those that believe all three religions believe in the same god. I'm not talking about their motivations, just asking if there are in fact those that do, and I guess what percent, like do most, some, hardly any.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What's in a name

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News