Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › What's in a name
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What's in a name (Read 859 times)
Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: What's in a name
Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 7:08pm:
I believe the medieval view of Islam was that, rather than being a separate religion from Christianity it was more akin to a Christian heresy.

This suggests that medieval Christians saw Muslims as believing in the same God as Christians, but believing the wrong things about that God.

That's what orthodox Christians thought, rather than any divinely given opinion.

Divine opinion has been silent for quite a long time now.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Goose
LNF Representative3

There is no Try...Only
Do or Do Not

Reply #21 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 6:54pm:
So you're saying by definition if your Abrahamic religion does not include a messiah who was god in the flesh, literally god on earth, then you don't get to call your religion true? So it's this extra fleshy god on earth that makes Christianity true? Do I have that right? And I'm guessing then that Jesus himself, who was a Jew, at some point disowned Judaism?

I am not going to get into an argument of what religion is true or not.  I will however break this down to a very basic level.

If you, the individual, do not believe that your current religious affiliation is with the "true religion", then you, the individual need to re-evaluate your beliefs.

In our universe there are no half-truths.  We live in a universe of duality.  Good-bad, right-wrong, up quark-down quark, truth-non-truth.

Whether you believe in God or not, religion or not, you have to be able to see that their can only be one true religion. 

Now the tricky part is actually tolerance.  You don't have to be accepting of someone else's belief in their particular religion as that by definition would be hypocritical.  You do have to be tolerant.

However, since the world today does not know the difference between acceptance and tolerance, we have issues. 

So in short, no.  The religions of the world do not worship the same God.  If they did, all the beliefs and practices would be the same.

I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself.--D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #22 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:03am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:26pm:
That's what orthodox Christians thought, rather than any divinely given opinion.

Divine opinion has been silent for quite a long time now.

That reminds me of that (catholic?) priest that was asked which proportion of the alms he kept to himself and which he gave away...

He said: "It's very easy. I just throw the money up in the air, so god can take his share... What's left is mine."

Non sequitur:

Donkey Hoe Tay wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Goose wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:22pm:
I am not going to get into an argument of what religion is true or not.  I will however break this down to a very basic level.

If you, the individual, do not believe that your current religious affiliation is with the "true religion", then you, the individual need to re-evaluate your beliefs.

In our universe there are no half-truths.  We live in a universe of duality.  Good-bad, right-wrong, up quark-down quark, truth-non-truth.

Whether you believe in God or not, religion or not, you have to be able to see that their can only be one true religion. 

Now the tricky part is actually tolerance.  You don't have to be accepting of someone else's belief in their particular religion as that by definition would be hypocritical.  You do have to be tolerant.

However, since the world today does not know the difference between acceptance and tolerance, we have issues. 

So in short, no.  The religions of the world do not worship the same God.  If they did, all the beliefs and practices would be the same. 

Actually well said Goose.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #24 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:36am:
Actually well said Goose.

So it's inconceivable that God could give various people various religious systems, any number of which could be acceptable to Him?

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #25 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:04pm:
So it's inconceivable that God could give various people various religious systems, any number of which could be acceptable to Him?

It's also possible that every religious system without exception was pulled out of some forgotten guy's ass at some point in history, with then a collection of other guys snowballing the initial speck into the big ass ball of crap some of those religious system have become.

In fact, it's most likely what happened.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer

Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Goose wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:22pm:

Wow, that is some of the worst reasoning, if you can call it that, I think I've ever read. But at least you somehow arrived at one correct conclusion. Tolerance is important. Sounds like that Liberal Media is finally doing some good.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
Wow, that is some of the worst reasoning, if you can call it that, I think I've ever read. But at least you somehow arrived at one correct conclusion. Tolerance is important. Sounds like that Liberal Media is finally doing some good.

It was even painful to read.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #28 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jun 19th, 2017 at 6:51pm:
It's also possible that every religious system without exception was pulled out of some forgotten guy's ass at some point in history, with then a collection of other guys snowballing the initial speck into the big ass ball of crap some of those religious system have become.

In fact, it's most likely what happened.

I was being kind.

This is the religion forum.

Bit of gentle...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › What's in a name

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News