Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Oh Goody. The Civil War did not occur.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Oh Goody. The Civil War did not occur. (Read 1,072 times)
Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Trolls exterminated while
you wait.

Re: Oh Goody. The Civil War did not occur.
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2017 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 10:04am:
So you think that the people of Iran should have left the statue of Saddam standing.........I see

Fiddler wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 2:20pm:
We need a monument in the public square celebrating the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.. 

How'bout a statue of an American Indian accepting smallpox blankets from a U.S. Army officer ..

Maybe a memorial to the black men of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study showing broken penicillin vials representing the treatment they were denied..

Just as the Civil War .. these^ are all historically factual.  What our alternate reality righties fail to grasp is that these events should not be forgotten but for certain, they should not be celebrated nor honored with statues ..

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 10:46am:
Just as the Civil War .. these^ are all historically factual.  What our alternate reality righties fail to grasp is that these events should not be forgotten but for certain, they should not be celebrated nor honored with statues .. 

We have enshrined the Battleship Arizona as a National Memorial.  It doesn't serve to celebrate the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, bu it is part of our history which ought never be forgotten.  It is the same with the Freedom Tower which stands where the twin towers of our World Trade Center once stood.  "Lest We Forget"...have you ever heard the term and do you understand its meaning?

LEST WE FORGET

Our agenda is simple. The contributors and I offer you the history, culture, preservation efforts, and current events of African-Americans, other ethnic, non-ethnic groups and individuals. We focus on and emphasize their sacrifices, relationships, interactions, patriotism as well as their contributions to the growth and development of this great nation. Let us never forget them.
Bennie J. McRae, Jr. - Researcher and Site Manager

http://www.coax.net/people/lwf/

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  

crepe05 wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 6:51am:
Is taking down the four statues going to change any facts? 

I'm ok with leaving the statue if we also put up a big oversized plaque next to it with information about why the war was fought (hint: not over states' rights).

Everyone ok with that?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2017 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Demos wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 11:20am:
I'm ok with leaving the statue if we also put up a big oversized plaque next to it with information about why the war was fought (hint: not over states' rights).

Everyone ok with that?

Excellent suggestion!  I would completely support an idea like that.

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

Geri Tol
LNF Senior Staffer2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2017 at 11:37am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 11:32am:
Excellent suggestion!  I would completely support an idea like that.

Apparently that wasn't enough.

TypoKnig wrote on Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:24am:
"In 1993, these words were covered by a granite slab with a new inscription, saying the obelisk honors "Americans on both sides" who died and that the conflict "should teach us lessons for the future."

The majority-black City Council in 2015 voted 6-1 to approve plans to take the statues down, but legal battles over their fate have prevented the removal until now, said Landrieu, who proposed the monuments’ removal and rode to victory twice with overwhelming support from the city’s black residents.

An inscription added in 1932 said the Yankees withdrew federal troops and “recognized white supremacy in the South” after the group challenged Louisiana’s biracial government after the Civil War. In 1993, these words were covered by a granite slab with a new inscription, saying the obelisk honors “Americans on both sides” who died and that the conflict “should teach us lessons for the future.”

The Liberty Monument had been the target of a previous lawsuit after the city removed it from a location on the main downtown thoroughfare of Canal Street during a federally financed paving project in 1989. The city didn’t put the monument back up until it was sued, and moved the monument to an obscure spot on a side street near the entrance to a parking garage.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/new-orleans-begins-to-take-down-confederate-statues...

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2017 at 11:42am by Geri Tol »  

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Trolls exterminated while
you wait.

Reply #15 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 10:59am:
We have enshrined the Battleship Arizona as a National Memorial.  It doesn't serve to celebrate the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, bu it is part of our history which ought never be forgotten.  It is the same with the Freedom Tower which stands where the twin towers of our World Trade Center once stood.  "Lest We Forget"...have you ever heard the term and do you understand its meaning?

You analogy fails horribly in that the Battleship Arizona and the World Trade Center were never hostile entities bent on the destruction of the United State. 

Jefferson Davis, P.G.T. Beauregard, and Robert E. Lee were.

A comparison more analogous to your deeply flawed example would be to install a memorial featuring a Japanese Zero at Pearl Harbor, a statue of a jihadist at Ground Zero..  These, like Lee, Davis and Beauregard, represent adversaries..

That you are unwilling to make this clear connection affirms your witless partisanship..

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 6:51am:
The last statue honoring heroes of the Confederacy has been removed from New Orleans.  There were a total of four of them.

I'm a midwesterner who has landed in the South to spend her remaining days.  My family would have fought in the Northern Army.  I certainly never would have believed in owning another person and having them work for me for free, etc.  In fact, I now have five biracial granddaughters.

However, our nation did have a Civil War.  It lasted four years, and from what I understand, that war killed more fighters than any other war in which we've been engaged.  It happened, people. 

Yes, there were great generals on both sides.  The Confederate States did have a President.
Taking down the statues doesn't change the fact of slavery being practiced in the U.S. prior to the ending of that war.

Is taking down the four statues going to change any facts? 

You understand that these "heroes" fought AGAINST the Constitution of the United States and fought FOR the enslavement of human beings.

Are they really "heroes" worthy of statues?  Not in my book.

Greg

&&&&"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 12:45pm:
You analogy fails horribly in that the Battleship Arizona and the World Trade Center were never hostile entities bent on the destruction of the United State. 

Jefferson Davis, P.G.T. Beauregard, and Robert E. Lee were.

A comparison more analogous to your deeply flawed example would be to install a memorial featuring a Japanese Zero at Pearl Harbor, a statue of a jihadist at Ground Zero..  These, like Lee, Davis and Beauregard, represent adversaries..

That you are unwilling to make this clear connection affirms your witless partisanship..

To your point, I have no problem with President Grant having made Robert E. Lee's family plantation into Arlington National Cemetery and leaving Arlington House as the Robert E. Lee Memorial.  President Grant said he thought it fitting that Lee would rise each morning for the rest of his life to bear witness to the Union War Dead he had been responsible for.  I have no problem with the Robert E. Lee statue of him seated on Traveler, either.  It represents a rich part of our nation's history.

Have you ever visited Gettysburg?

By the way "Jefferson Davis, P.G.T. Beauregard, and Robert E. Lee " were all Democrats.  US Grant was a Republican....just sayun.

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  

The Original Wally wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 1:57pm:
By the way "Jefferson Davis, P.G.T. Beauregard, and Robert E. Lee " were all Democrats.  US Grant was a Republican....just sayun.

I'll never understand why people bring up party ID as if the parties have been static for 150 years.

IP Logged

Phillip 2.0
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2017 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Pssst, there aren't exactly a lot of Benedict Arnold statues in Washington D.C.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Oh Goody. The Civil War did not occur.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog