Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil... (Read 3,115 times)
BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil...
Reply #20 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Jun 3rd, 2017 at 9:38pm:
Limey, you are confused.

I said that the Catholic church integrated Aristotle into its thought: this is true.

I never said the Catholic church tolerated all types of religious thought as correct, did I?  Of course the church fought against what it saw as heresy.

The plain fact is, none of you guys know anything of which you speak.  You are all talking out your asses based on mere stereotypes you have.

Aristotle, the inventor of logic, was a super-naturalist.  Therefore, logic and religion, or super-naturalism, go together just fine.  Secondly, the Catholic Church absolutely did integrate Aristotle into its thought, and Thomism, the philosophy of Aquinas, seen as the pinnacle of mainstream Catholic thought, is heavily influenced by Aristotle.

So, to say religion and logic 'don't go together' is simply wrong.  Now, when you debate Joe Schmoe everyday Christian on the internet, he might be very illogical, just as most Joe Schmoe atheists are ignorant and illogical.  But if you want to learn about a type of thought, that is, if you really sincerely what to learn about it, you go to its best exponents, and study them.  You don't debate Joe Schmoe and then take his views to represent a whole system of thought, not, at least, if you are serious.

Thus, if I want to learn about atheism I should read Bertrand Russell, rather than debating Sam the Schmuck atheist on youtube...and if you really want to learn about religious thought, you won't go to me or Seawolf, but to the primary sources.  The Summa Theologica, with helpful commentaries, is available for a reasonable price.   Wink

...or you can continue to debate ignorant everyday people, and when they are illogical you can then say "see, Christianity is illogical, herpity derp!!!"

You are an imbecile. Catholics killed other Christians for simply practicing a slight variation of their cult.

What do you think they would have done to people like Aristotle or Plato that weren't Christian at all, "supernaturalist" or not, which btw isn't even a word, asshole.

The more your ilk is ignorant and biased, the more it is arrogant and insulting to people better equipped intellectually.

That's almost a law of nature.

Non sequitur:

Rodney Your Teas Ready wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #21 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 3:57am:
You are an imbecile. Catholics killed other Christians for simply practicing a slight variation of their cult.

What do you think they would have done to people like Aristotle or Plato that weren't Christian at all, "supernaturalist" or not, which btw isn't even a word, asshole.

The more your ilk is ignorant and biased, the more it is arrogant and insulting to people better equipped intellectually.

That's almost a law of nature.

Your fallacy is associating those who think they are Christians, despite their behavior running contrary to who Christ defined himself to be.  It's easy to define a religion based on the acts of man himself but the real question and example is how did he define himself and his followers.  Murdering in the name of Jesus is not what he ever called us to do and yet those who do this are not, in fact, followers of Christ but of the world.  Knowing the teachings of Christ can help weed truth from fiction.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #22 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 10:00am:
Your fallacy is associating those who think they are Christians, despite their behavior running contrary to who Christ defined himself to be.  It's easy to define a religion based on the acts of man himself but the real question and example is how did he define himself and his followers.  Murdering in the name of Jesus is not what he ever called us to do and yet those who do this are not, in fact, followers of Christ but of the world.  Knowing the teachings of Christ can help weed truth from fiction.

And you would call yourself a Christian or someone who thinks he's a Christian?

You think you're a Christian, yet, stand idle by and say nothing when people like Jasmine talk about carpet bombing innocent people for being Muslims.

The indiscriminate killing of women and children is not what Jesus told his followers to do.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Nazi Hunter B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Bronze Swimming Certificate

Reply #23 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 10:16am:

You think you're a Christian, yet, stand idle by and say nothing when people like Jasmine talk about carpet bombing innocent people for being Muslims.

The indiscriminate killing of women and children is not what Jesus told his followers to do.

Carpet bombing civilians was in the OT I think.

"Be Kind; Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Hard Battle" Plato

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #24 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 10:16am:

I am not accountable for her, I am judge based on one of two things, God's law or his mercy.  Not on Jasmine's behavior.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Nazi Hunter B.S.C. wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 10:03am:
God makes no bones about it, He creates evil. Shall a trumpet sound in a city and the Lord has not caused it? 

He then demands, doesn't ask, but demands that we love Him above all others. 

Can I ask how a Christian can worship He who creates evil and makes woe?

Why did He make pain?  Don't give me any crap about pain allowing us to detect probelms in our body, any jukebox manufacturer could have done better.  Why not a bright red neon sign on our forehead that lights up when there's a problem? 

Apparently, writhing around in pain on our death bed is how He wants some of us to die.  How is that not absurd to you?

Here's  a good debate on the subject.  Silverman with the usual mindless Atheist talking points: why do babies suffer/die? why does God judge and condemn people? The God of the bible is evil!! Boo Hoo!  and then from the other side of his mouth, "there is no such thing as evil, that's just a Judeo/Christian construct, it's all just relative and cultural" etc.
Dr. White the smart guy takes on these issues, explains Theodicy (The problem of evil, suffering), God's sovereignty, Silverman's inconsistencies, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4oNDSg_g-8
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:16pm by fair-minded know it all »  

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:40am
Print Post  
The wonderful news for Joe Schmoe is that he is not required or asked to study Aristotle, for instance.  He is taught to immerse himself in God's word.  You will NEVER win the intellect of the sinner over.  That is not how we are taught to in scripture to witness to the unsaved, we are taught to bypass the intellect and go straight to the heart.  We are to stir the conscious as Jesus demonstrated effectively.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:40am:
The wonderful news for Joe Schmoe is that he is not required or asked to study Aristotle, for instance.  He is taught to immerse himself in God's word.  You will NEVER win the intellect of the sinner over.  That is not how we are taught to in scripture to witness to the unsaved, we are taught to bypass the intellect and go straight to the heart.  We are to stir the conscious as Jesus demonstrated effectively.

Interesting.

You accept that the intellect will reject superstition and therefore religion can only survive by appealing to animal instincts.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #28 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 4:48am:
Interesting.

You accept that the intellect will reject superstition and therefore religion can only survive by appealing to animal instincts.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #29 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 4:48am:
Interesting.

Arguing from your intellect does not mean you are correct, just means you will rationalize your ways rather then from the conscious which convicts all of us of wrongs.  No one is spared from their conscious, but one can rationalize their sins to the point of suppressing one's conscious.  Sinners will justify their actions, because they love the sin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil...

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog