Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › New Religions
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Religions (Read 269 times)
Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer

I Love Liberty News Forum!

New Religions
Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last religion to be created was Islam. Mormonism is really just a type of Christianity so that doesn't count. Scientology maybe? And we know how that's regarded. So my question is, why is it that there are no new religions? Why is it that only really old ideas seems to be ok as the basis of religion?

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Re: New Religions
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:24pm:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last religion to be created was Islam.

Islam is probably the most recent global religion to be created, but an enormous number of small religions have sprung up.  You correctly mentioned Scientology as one.

Quote:
So my question is, why is it that there are no new religions?

Um, you just mentioned Scientology as one.  You could also look at the Church of the Sub-Genius, the modern pagan revival, or the New Religions movement in Japan.  Several old religions have recently been drastically reformed or reworked, such as fundamentalist Christianity, fundamentalist Islam, or secular Buddhism.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:16pm:
Islam is probably the most recent global religion to be created, but an enormous number of small religions have sprung up.  You correctly mentioned Scientology as one.

Um, you just mentioned Scientology as one.  You could also look at the Church of the Sub-Genius, the modern pagan revival, or the New Religions movement in Japan.  Several old religions have recently been drastically reformed or reworked, such as fundamentalist Christianity, fundamentalist Islam, or secular Buddhism.

I am not sure the scientologists talk of god or supernatural crap... I mean, it's something weird I agree but I am not sure it qualifies as a religion since it lacks one of its main characteristics.

Non sequitur:

Donkey Hoe Tay wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Spaghetti rules

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:16pm:

I'm not familiar with Sub Genius or New Religions movement. Pagans I believe, and probably these fundamentalists revivals though are still based on so-called ancient texts, are they not? My point was, I wonder why none seem to be based on recent texts (scientology being the exception). What's the penchant for old "knowledge"? Would anyone ever try to create a medical practice, for example, based on 500 year old medical doctrine?

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I am in digs in Bristol.

A guy here has American residents permit, he married a yank and lived there.

. Kids at Brigham Young. University????

Nice guy, says that he can't live there because stupid Mormon shit plus wages.

. I get the impression that religion was the main reason for the move here.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
I'm not familiar with Sub Genius or New Religions movement. Pagans I believe, and probably these fundamentalists revivals though are still based on so-called ancient texts, are they not?

Fundamentalists, yes.  Pagans, no.  Most of the modern pagan texts were between the middle of the 19th century and the mid-to-late 20th century.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I forgot about a few new religions in India in the 20th century: check out U.G. Krishnamurti, Ramana Maharshi, and Meher Baba.  Meher Baba's religion has a few million followers, and he wrote a couple of books in the mid-20th century that his worshipers take as scriptures.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Frum

Dawkins explores this in 'the God delusion'

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
I'm not familiar with Sub Genius or New Religions movement. Pagans I believe, and probably these fundamentalists revivals though are still based on so-called ancient texts, are they not? My point was, I wonder why none seem to be based on recent texts (scientology being the exception). What's the penchant for old "knowledge"? Would anyone ever try to create a medical practice, for example, based on 500 year old medical doctrine?

Isn't much of the Mormon religion based on some gold tablets found and that could only be read by a life long con man

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › New Religions

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor