Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › The Odds of Evolution Are Zero.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Odds of Evolution Are Zero. (Read 20,726 times)
EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: The Odds of Evolution Are Zero.
Reply #340 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Not that I give a rip (it's just an internet forum), but it appears a moderator has deleted one of my posts from the religion forum.  The one that begins with "I will not put words in Seawolf's mouth..."  Some of it remains, though, as it was quoted by Limey.    That might disappear now.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #341 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 8:31pm:
Not that I give a rip (it's just an internet forum), but it appears a moderator has deleted one of my posts from the religion forum.  The one that begins with "I will not put words in Seawolf's mouth..."  Some of it remains, though, as it was quoted by Limey.    That might disappear now.

So I decided to repost the deleted post, slightly edited. 

Regarding young earthers: I do not believe they believe God created the earth 6,000 or 10,000 years ago and deliberately made it appear as if it came about (was created, just happened, whatever) billions of years ago.  I have actually talked to them.  They believe evidence that the earth is more than 6,000 or 10,000 years old has been misinterpreted and can easily (and scientifically) be interpreted consistent with a young earth. 

I have been a member and regular attender of Christian churches for over 40 years, prior to which I was not a Christian.  I wasn't a bad guy, mind you, just not a Christian.  For the first 35 or so of those years, I had no idea there were still people (and I say again they are NOT stupid) who subscribed to a young earth theory.  After learning that there are, indeed, educated people who believe in a young earth I also learned that there are professors in seminaries who believe so strongly in a young earth that they doubt anyone who does not believe likewise can possibly be a Christian.

But the Answers in Genesis people (Ken Ham's group) don't go that far.  Their goal is normalize young earth belief so that people who are teetering on the edge of belief cannot be talked out of it by someone saying "if you can't trust the Bible on the age of the earth, how can you trust it on anything else?"  But it is my contention, and the contention of more genuine believers than not, that the Bible does not teach the earth is either 6,000 or 10,000 years old, and to assert that it does is a misunderstanding of the message of Genesis.   My faith has absolutely nothing to do with the age of the earth.

Also, in the 40+ years I have been attending Christian churches, I have yet to hear a clear statement from the pulpit that the earth is 6,000 or 10,000 years old because it says so in Genesis.  And I now know that one of the men whose preaching I listened to for over 15 years is, in fact, a self admitted young earther.  That he and others do not preach it leads me to believe one of three things:

1.  They don't really believe it.
2.  They believe it, but are at least a little embarrassed about it.
3.  They believe it but don't think it makes a particle of difference in one's relationship to God (and this latter is, in fact, what a prominent person in the Answers in Genesis movement told me, face to face).

The preacher whose messages I listened to for over 15 years is, I think, in the second group.  But he also told me he did question if a person who did not believe in a young earth really had a saving relationship with God.  He did not definitely say that person did not, but he would question it.  He told me that privately, though.  He has never, to my knowledge, said anything remotely resembling that during a church service. 

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #342 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 1:55am
Print Post  
The odds of a certain self-serving mod evolving are definitely zero...

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #343 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I think it’s pretty poor moderating.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Staffer1

Reply #344 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 9:28pm:
It still does not answer how all of this came into being.

Obviously as other's have pointed out, that's not even the topic.  However, I'd like to point how that neither have you.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #345 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
atreyu wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 6:32pm:
Obviously as other's have pointed out, that's not even the topic.  However, I'd like to point how that neither have you.

'

We can make it the topic.  Not on the science board, though.  Tried that already.  Wanna play?

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #346 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
'

We can make it the topic.  Not on the science board, though.  Tried that already.  Wanna play?

The moderation is immoderate.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #347 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:54pm:
The moderation is immoderate.

Immoderately so.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #348 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:42pm:
Regarding young earthers: I do not believe they believe God created the earth 6,000 or 10,000 years ago and deliberately made it appear as if it came about (was created, just happened, whatever) billions of years ago.  I have actually talked to them.  They believe evidence that the earth is more than 6,000 or 10,000 years old has been misinterpreted and can easily (and scientifically) be interpreted consistent with a young earth.

The ones I grew up with thought that evolution was a liberal, atheist, communist theory cooked up by scientists to ruin Christianity. 

Quote:
But it is my contention, and the contention of more genuine believers than not, that the Bible does not teach the earth is either 6,000 or 10,000 years old, and to assert that it does is a misunderstanding of the message of Genesis.

It's pretty clear that Genesis is not written in the style of literal history.  Compare the style of the creation story to, say, I Kings.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Semi-Omnipotent
LNF Party Leader

Part time God

Reply #349 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 8:31pm:

If it is not relevant to the discussion you will get deleted.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2018 at 2:12pm by Seawolf »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › The Odds of Evolution Are Zero.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules