Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Jesus on Money
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jesus on Money (Read 925 times)
Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer1

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Jesus on Money
Jul 12th, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
What were Jesus's views on the accumulation of wealth? I'm not talking about the Bible in general, but Jesus himself.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: Jesus on Money
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 3:33pm:
What were Jesus's views on the accumulation of wealth? I'm not talking about the Bible in general, but Jesus himself.

Certainly not a Christian theologian of the calibre (nod to Limey) of a Jasmine, but I have done some "reading and meditating" over my nearly 7 decades on this terrestrial ball.  In a nutshell, I believe Jesus's view on wealth accumulation can be kind of summed up in this: "the love of money is the root of all evil" and "God loves a cheerful giver."

Sometimes the former is taken to mean that money is the root of all evil, but that is not what it says.  It says the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.  If one's wealth is one's god, then that is contrary to His teaching. 

And I don't believe Jesus expects those who are successful to live like those who are not, but I do believe He rewards generosity.

The Book of Books also says that one knows a Christian from his works.  Not that they are SAVED by those works, but that their heart is reflected in their works.  By that standard, there are many who claim His name who know Him not.  I think one is serving as president, but don't come back at me with that "judge not that you be not judged."  I am not judging.  I am observing based on his works. Fortunately, He does the judging. 

I also don't care if a president is a Christian or not.  Presidential religious beliefs are irrelevant to me.  Certainly this one is not the first non-Christian to serve (if, indeed, he is not a Christian).  Thomas Jefferson definitely was not a Christian, and there are some doubts about John Adams. George Washington probably was, but it's not like he was a real Bible thumper.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
So is being a "Bible thumper" imply a negative image?  David boast "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.

Ps 1:2. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2017 at 6:15pm by Seawolf »  

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 6:09pm:
So is being a "Bible thumper" imply a negative image?  David boast "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.

Ps 1:2. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night.

No.  Just an observation.  Geo. W. definitely did not meditate on it day and night.  Or often, for that matter.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 8:01am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 8:46pm:
No.  Just an observation.  Geo. W. definitely did not meditate on it day and night.  Or often, for that matter.

Not what I am reading in the history books, but what relevance does Washington have to our discussion?  The question is what does God desire from us, a half-hearted tempered acknowledgement of him?

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I agree with much of what elmer said...
Jesus said "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
A born again, regenerate believer has new priorities which will affect how he views reality and the future.  This will work itself out in how he spends his time and resources, money included.
We cheerfully support faithful ministers of the word, missionaries,  help the hungry, needy, take care of our family including looking out for the elderly. Being productive, hard working, useful and making money is a good thing.  Accumulating money voraciously purely for the sake of security in this life is not.
Jesus basically said that where our hope and ultimate treasure is will be shown in our life and financial decisions.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 15th, 2017 at 8:01am:
Not what I am reading in the history books, but what relevance does Washington have to our discussion?  The question is what does God desire from us, a half-hearted tempered acknowledgement of him?

Got a list of these books?  If David is the standard to which you're comparing, I don't think anybody could come up to it.

But the reference to Washington was in my paragraph about caring not whether a president is a Christian or not.  Being a Christian would be an asset if all other things were equal between candidates, but they never are, and there are more important things to bring to the job of chief executive of a secular government than that.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2017 at 12:23pm by EF »  

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Jul 15th, 2017 at 11:20am:
Got a list of these books?  If David is the standard to which you're comparing, I don't think anybody could come up to it.

But the reference to Washington was in my paragraph about caring not whether a president is a Christian or not.  Being a Christian would be an asset if all other things were equal between candidates, but they never are, and there are more important things to bring to the job of chief executive of a secular government than that. 

As a Christian I would disagree, there is nothing more important then a leader who submits to the One who governs all.  Just my opinion that is in scripture.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
George Washington's Sacred Fire.  Excellent research regarding his faith.  Over 400 pages of footnotes.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 15th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
George Washington's Sacred Fire.  Excellent research regarding his faith.  Over 400 pages of footnotes.

Written to debunk claims he was a Deist.  I already knew he was no Deist.  Does not reveal him as a man who meditated day and night (or even all that often) on the word of the Lord.

For that matter, Jefferson was not a Deist, either.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Jesus on Money

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag