Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Answers in Genesis
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Answers in Genesis (Read 1,264 times)
Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Answers in Genesis
Jul 19th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I don’t know if there are any “Answers in Genesis” fans lurking about or not, but I have had some pleasant interaction with one of their representatives.  Answers in Genesis is the organization established by Ken Ham.

Their contention is that the earth was created by God in a literal 7 days 10,000 years ago.  Or maybe 6,000.  I can’t recall which.  They do not contend that believing that is necessary to a saving relationship with God. Mr. Ham claims that too many of our young people were led away from the church by non-believers who pointed to the creation account of Genesis and said “Clearly the earth is older than 10,000 years.  If you can’t trust something presented that early in the Bible, how can you trust any of it?”  Good question. 

So this fellow told me the mission of Answers in Genesis was to keep those young people in the tent by telling them that belief in the literal account of creation as they understand it is correct and that scientific evidence is simply wrong.  He said it wasn’t necessary to believe that to have a saving relationship with God, but that the tent should be big enough to allow believers in both (Young Earth and Old Earth) to belong.

I said, “Okay.  But I see a flaw in your program.  Rather than recognizing the possibility of both Young Earth and Old Earth, you are excluding Old Earth.  Which approach makes the tent bigger? 
a.      One that insists on Old Earth belief only
b.      One that insists on Young Earth belief only
c.      One that permits both
I told him I thought C did. He did not disagree, but continued with his presentation that Young Earth was clearly correct and Old Earth was clearly wrong.  Despite having said it really didn’t affect one’s relationship with God.

But I have also had conversations with people who stated, categorically, that failure to believe that the earth was created over 7 literal 24 hour days and was either 10,000 or 6,000 years old, depending on whatever “A begat B” list they used meant one was doomed to an eternity in a devil’s hell.  Period.

My contention is that the message of Genesis is "God created."  Not "God created in a literal 7 day period where each day was 24 hours (well, 6 with a day of rest) 10,000 or 6,000 years ago."

But most people really don't want to talk about it.  I find myself among that group frequently.  But this is a good place to do it.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Answers in Genesis
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
In America is it really socially acceptable to say, in public,  that Earth is 6000 years old?

Or possibly 10000 years old?

I am seriously struggling to think of a circumstance outside of a therapeutic one where somebody would say such a thing in England.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
The ironic thing is that the people who say that the Earth is 10000 years old can't do anything with that. Only scientists can draw useful conclusions out of how old something is or how long a process takes. And the scientists, IE the people who find usefulness in dating, ALL believe that the Earth is billions of years old.

Non sequitur:

Do You Eat Carrots wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
In America is it really socially acceptable to say, in public,  that Earth is 6000 years old?

It vastly differs by place.  In rural areas and small towns, it's totally normal.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:02pm:
It vastly differs by place.  In rural areas and small towns, it's totally normal.

Wow.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 6:46am:
Wow.

You have to remember that America was initially formed by rogue religious groups among other things. Those are usually more extremists in their beliefs than the religions they were originally from.

For instance the Catholics have been among the firsts if not the firsts to admit to the validity of the Big Bang theory. It even surprised some people back then.

People like SW are only the products of their environment and nothing more. Very few people are capable of  seeing beyond the basic prejudices of their initial cultural environment. SW is not one of them.

Non sequitur:

Do You Eat Carrots wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:01am:
You have to remember that America was initially formed by rogue religious groups among other things. Those are usually more extremists in their beliefs than the religions they were originally from.

For instance the Catholics have been among the firsts if not the firsts to admit to the validity of the Big Bang theory. It even surprised some people back then.

People like SW are only the products of their environment and nothing more. Very few people are capable of  seeing beyond the basic prejudices of their initial cultural environment. SW is not one of them.

Everyone of us have our "prejudice", though I think that is a very poor choice of words.  You are by no means an exception to how you categorize me.  Unfortunately you, as do most on this forum formulate an opinion, without discussions or questions and run with it as a matter of fact.  It happens every day by you and others, as well as myself, even though I am trying to not fall into that trap.  We all think our opinion is factual and are very biased towards our opinion. 

I do not obsess over whether or not the earth is ten thousand or ten million years old, in the grand scheme of it all that is not what we are to be concerned about.  I have not been a life long Christian, I have said this to you before but you seem to ignore this.  So your remark to say I am incapable of seeing beyond my "prejudice" made me laugh.  Usually someone my age are already set in their ways and lifestyle and do not often radically change their lifestyle as both my wife and I did.  The problem is the lens you are looking through which is obviously tinted.  Everone is your enemy who dares to think different then you do.  Life just is not that simple.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Trolls exterminated while
you wait.

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:40am:
Everone is your enemy who dares to think different then you do. 

Nope.. Whether you're Christian, Muslim or Jew..

It's when you try codify your mythology through legislation that we have a problem  .

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:04pm:
Nope.. Whether you're Christian, Muslim or Jew..

It's when you try codify your mythology through legislation that we have a problem  .

I'm not a legislator so you are barking up the wrong tree.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:36pm:

Or possibly 10000 years old?

I am seriously struggling to think of a circumstance outside of a therapeutic one where somebody would say such a thing in England.

Well, I was in my early 60's before I ran up on it, too.  And I was surprised.  And yes, there ARE people, intelligent people, who hold to that belief on this side of the pond.  Do a little googling on it.  Try Ken Ham, Answers in Genesis.

I won't go so far as to say they have the "courage of their convictions" to the extent that they make it public because I was not aware of it, really, until my early 60's.  And, as I say, I was surprised.  I know of two reverends, both intelligent men, who hold firmly to that belief and tell me that my failure to believe it is due to my "world view" that was formed by my "indoctrination" in earlier years. 

But they're there.  And I bet there are some in Merrye Olde England, too. 

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Answers in Genesis

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag