Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Answers in Genesis
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Answers in Genesis (Read 1,263 times)
BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Answers in Genesis
Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
Yeah, and in Elmer's version (supported by some impressive people) you can have God And a big bang.

Personally I am prepared to keep the dogs off these guys and girls, if they can control their science deniers.

One day, potentially, we can have a moment where an undeniable God appears and makes me look like a total dick.

Or, and, a scientist might explain everything.

Silly to close doors.

I will speak to God on your behalf if the embarrassing thing is in place.

Wow that would be an awkward moment.

I mean, here's me, nice, honest, decent, kind, and He will be happy to send me to eternal torment by fire. While my sweet little children and my loving wife go to eternal peace, knowing that I am in torment and screaming every second of their joy, for ever.

They can never be with their Dad or husband. For eternity.

Oh well.

If you're ever a witness to any of this... Look for the hidden camera, someone is having fun at your expense.

Non sequitur:

Do You Eat Carrots wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #41 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Edited:
BowHunter wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
If you're ever a witness to any of this... Look for the hidden camera, someone is having fun at your expense.

Not really.

I am fully aware of the arguments.

Thanks.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #42 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:51pm:
The naked singularity you were speaking of... IS PART OF THE BIG BANG THEORY!!!!

I KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!

edited to add:

http://www.comereason.org/Big-Bang-vs-Creation.asp

Not an argument for Christianity or any other religion.  Just for a Creator - an Intelligent Designer.

Relevant excerpt:

All in all, the concept of a big bang type creation event shouldn't trouble Christians too much. While specifics such as the nature of the creation, if it was guided intelligently, and other points should be discussed vigorously and the Christian position defended, the main idea of the universe coming into existence a finite time ago is actually a huge concession on the part of modern science - ground that the scientists for a long time did not want to give up. This is why Dr. Robert Jastrow, Director Emeritus of Mount Wilson Observatory and founder of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies had written "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

But I would not limit the scope of the paragraph to just Christianity.  Other religions believe in a beginning, too.  In fact, Christians believe in the same beginning as Jews do.

Found this in Wikipedia on Jastrow:

His expressed views on creation were that although he was an "agnostic, and not a believer",[1] it seems to him that "the curtain drawn over the mystery of creation will never be raised by human efforts, at least in the foreseeable future"[1] due to "the circumstances of the big bang-the fiery holocaust that destroyed the record of the past".[1] With the discovery of the Big Bang, Jastrow began to hold a belief that, if there was a beginning to the universe, there was also a Creator.
In an interview with Christianity Today, Jastrow said "Astronomers now find they have painted themselves into a corner because they have proven, by their own methods, that the world began abruptly in an act of creation to which you can trace the seeds of every star, every planet, every living thing in this cosmos and on the earth. And they have found that all this happened as a product of forces they cannot hope to discover. That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact."[2
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:19pm by Elmer Fudd »  

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #43 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Elmer Fudd wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
I KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!

edited to add:

http://www.comereason.org/Big-Bang-vs-Creation.asp

Not an argument for Christianity or any other religion.  Just for a Creator - an Intelligent Designer.

Relevant excerpt:

All in all, the concept of a big bang type creation event shouldn't trouble Christians too much. While specifics such as the nature of the creation, if it was guided intelligently, and other points should be discussed vigorously and the Christian position defended, the main idea of the universe coming into existence a finite time ago is actually a huge concession on the part of modern science - ground that the scientists for a long time did not want to give up. This is why Dr. Robert Jastrow, Director Emeritus of Mount Wilson Observatory and founder of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies had written "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

But I would not limit the scope of the paragraph to just Christianity.  Other religions believe in a beginning, too.  In fact, Christians believe in the same beginning as Jews do.

Found this in Wikipedia on Jastrow:

His expressed views on creation were that although he was an "agnostic, and not a believer",[1] it seems to him that "the curtain drawn over the mystery of creation will never be raised by human efforts, at least in the foreseeable future"[1] due to "the circumstances of the big bang-the fiery holocaust that destroyed the record of the past".[1] With the discovery of the Big Bang, Jastrow began to hold a belief that, if there was a beginning to the universe, there was also a Creator.
In an interview with Christianity Today, Jastrow said "Astronomers now find they have painted themselves into a corner because they have proven, by their own methods, that the world began abruptly in an act of creation to which you can trace the seeds of every star, every planet, every living thing in this cosmos and on the earth. And they have found that all this happened as a product of forces they cannot hope to discover. That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact."[2

There are only two possibilities, EITHER the universe never started, IOW was always there in one form or another (in which case the Big Bang is only a point in a continuum), OR the universe started with the Big Bang. Whichever case is eventually proven (the jury is still out on that), some people will find a way to say that that confirms their superstition/cult/what have you.

We all know that. The cleverest mountebanks are the ones that use reality to support their scams, just as the best lies are the one that stick as close as possible to the truth, deviating only for a purpose.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #44 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 7:32am:
Amazing that we are so foolish to speak about something we did not witness ourselves as factual, the beginning of life.  The problem is that you seem to think that science can never be wrong and yet the history of science is littered with incorrect theories throughout time.  We, ourselves are the product of something greater then ourselves because we have no control over that which created us.  If you think we are a series of accidents then very little stands in the way of exterrminating something that randomly came to life.  As quickly as we came into life, just as quick we can be snuffed out.  I agree with the fairytale anology, but in the sense that what man can not figure out he then concocts some story of how we accidently arrived, without ever witnessing the event they claim produced us. 

Thanks.

Exactly right.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #45 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:23am:
Thanks.

Exactly right.

Anybody with a Cristal ball could make that same bargain and Say, "if you don't give me a thousand dollars. I will not tell you how to avoid an accidental death in a month. Maybe I am lying or maybe I am telling the truth but can you really take that chance?   Isn't the rest of your life worth a lot more than a thousand bucks?"

That's pretty much the same bargain that every believer in every conceivable religion tells you to make.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #46 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
/I messed up/
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:29pm by Elmer Fudd »  

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #47 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
[quote author=3A363B323825333225570 link=1500495494/45#45 date=1501080623]

Anybody with a Cristal ball could make that same bargain and Say, "if you don't give me a thousand dollars. I will not tell you how to avoid an accidental death in a month. Maybe I am lying or maybe I am telling the truth but can you really take that chance?   Isn't the rest of your life worth a lot more than a thousand bucks?" [quote]

see my response below.  I screwed up.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Elmer Fudd
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #48 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Could be.  And I would avoid all such people who try to "scare people into the arms of Jesus."  (I doubt seriously I am the first person to use that term, but I did not copy it from anybody.  And I really like it.)  And anybody who claims "salvation" as a result of that would be better off keeping his thousand bucks in his pocket.  'Cause he ain't.

I freely admit there are many things I don't get.  I figure there must be things people are incapable of getting.  Like a being that could exist outside of time and space and who has no material essence.  But believing that such exists makes a lot more sense to me than believing that singularity "just was."

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #49 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Elmer Fudd wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
Could be.  And I would avoid all such people who try to "scare people into the arms of Jesus."  (I doubt seriously I am the first person to use that term, but I did not copy it from anybody.  And I really like it.)  And anybody who claims "salvation" as a result of that would be better off keeping his thousand bucks in his pocket.  'Cause he ain't.

I freely admit there are many things I don't get.  I figure there must be things people are incapable of getting.  Like a being that could exist outside of time and space and who has no material essence.  But believing that such exists makes a lot more sense to me than believing that singularity "just was."

The difference is that the singularity is something that can be intellectualized while your belief is nothing more than a fairy tale, something that rests on nothing but some people's gratuitous divagations.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Answers in Genesis

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room