Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › For the capital punishment fans
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) For the capital punishment fans (Read 2,334 times)
Pavarotti Sings the Crusades
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Never kiss a gibbon on
the mouth

Re: For the capital punishment fans
Reply #40 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:33am
Print Post  
This is fun. This is a fun time.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Pavarotti Sings the Crusades wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:33am:

Sad, but true.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:07am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:32pm:
I can give you 1000x the number of stories where killers kill again. You need to read up on recidivism stats in the states.

I'm sure you have countless examples of perfect solutions where there are no potential negative consequences.

Do you support surgical procedures?

Or, would you be open to jailing judges who release prisoners who go into kill again, or commit any crimes for that matter.

They don't kill again if they are locked up.

And if they are locked up, you can let them go if it turns out that they are not guilty.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:07am:

And if they are locked up, you can let them go if it turns out that they are not guilty.

I have never subscribed to the theory that capital punishment served as any kind of deterrent or that it was in any sense punishment for a crime if one defines punishment as a consequence suffered to correct future behavior.

Nor do I consider it barbaric.  I believe there truly are crimes committed against humanity that, when the guilty party can be identified beyond the "reasonable doubt" standard, society has a right if not duty to remove that person from this life.  But the death penalty is assessed in too many cases (IMO) where the crime is neither that horrific or the standard of guilt is only that of "beyond reasonable doubt." 

As to the lock 'em up forever option, I believe that actually costs less (or no more) than the endless appeals that result from nearly every capital crime.  There really aren't that many of them in the overall scheme of things, and the incremental cost to house a few more convicts for life can't be all that significant to the overall cost of the correctional system.  But I know of at least one county in one state that had to raise property taxes to pay for the defense of two men charged with a capital crime, sentenced to death, when there was absolutely NO doubt as to their guilt.  (Unless they were clones of the actual perpetrators.)  Of course, that's the county's fault for seeking the death penalty in the first place.

Rather than impose death penalty, there should be TRUE life sentences, no possibility of parole, absent an overturning of the conviction based on new evidence.

As a corrections commissioner once said, "We gotta decide who we're scared of and who we're just mad at.  Lock the ones we're scared up for as long as possible, including their natural lives, and punish the ones we're mad at just enough to (hopefully) correct their future behavior."

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Pavarotti Sings the Crusades wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:33am:

It is.  It certainly is.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #45 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:07am:

PP doesn't care. He thinks of it as collateral damage, until the day he or someone he cares about is arrested then he'll change his mind.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #46 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Pavarotti Sings the Crusades wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:38am:
And Jasmine once again baits the left into a frenzied pretzel of loathing and condescension.

Nah.  I just feel sorry for her.  You, too.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #47 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:41am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:31am:
Nah.  I just feel sorry for her.  You, too.

Agreed.

If Jasmine is genuine (a big "if"), that is no way to live.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #48 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:44am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:30am:
I have never subscribed to the theory that capital punishment served as any kind of deterrent or that it was in any sense punishment for a crime if one defines punishment as a consequence suffered to correct future behavior.

Nor do I consider it barbaric.  I believe there truly are crimes committed against humanity that, when the guilty party can be identified beyond the "reasonable doubt" standard, society has a right if not duty to remove that person from this life.  But the death penalty is assessed in too many cases (IMO) where the crime is neither that horrific or the standard of guilt is only that of "beyond reasonable doubt." 

As to the lock 'em up forever option, I believe that actually costs less (or no more) than the endless appeals that result from nearly every capital crime.  There really aren't that many of them in the overall scheme of things, and the incremental cost to house a few more convicts for life can't be all that significant to the overall cost of the correctional system.  But I know of at least one county in one state that had to raise property taxes to pay for the defense of two men charged with a capital crime, sentenced to death, when there was absolutely NO doubt as to their guilt.  (Unless they were clones of the actual perpetrators.)  Of course, that's the county's fault for seeking the death penalty in the first place.

Rather than impose death penalty, there should be TRUE life sentences, no possibility of parole, absent an overturning of the conviction based on new evidence.

As a corrections commissioner once said, "We gotta decide who we're scared of and who we're just mad at.  Lock the ones we're scared up for as long as possible, including their natural lives, and punish the ones we're mad at just enough to (hopefully) correct their future behavior."

Agree with most of this too, except that I honestly don't think we - society - outside war, have a right to kill except at last resort and in self /other defence.

IP Logged

michiganFats
LNF Representative2

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:01pm:
Yeah,  he's a troll. He's just hoping to get a reaction.

You again huh? I hate to break this to you snowflake but trolling is done solely to get a rise out of someone. But, just saying something you don't like isn't trolling.

If anyone in this thread is trolling it's the OP. The man in question was tried and convicted. Of a pretty nasty crime too but because the guy has ties to the UK this all of a sudden becomes a case of America getting it wrong. Odds are the guy deserves to be exactly where he is right now.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:11pm by michiganFats »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › For the capital punishment fans

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules