Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › For the capital punishment fans
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) For the capital punishment fans (Read 762 times)
petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Re: For the capital punishment fans
Reply #50 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Apparently someone does not have a dictionary to look up the word recidivism.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #51 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
michiganFats wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:04pm:
You again huh? I hate to break this to you snowflake but trolling is done solely to get a rise out of someone. But, just saying something you don't like isn't trolling.

If anyone in this thread is trolling it's the OP. The man in question was tried and convicted. Of a pretty nasty crime too but because the guy has ties to the UK this all of a sudden becomes a case of America getting it wrong. Odds are the guy deserves to be exactly where he is right now.

Not at all.

Clive Stafford -Smith* has written extensively about this case. 

I know that those who work in the criminal justice system in any country will usually try to defend themselves when errors are made, often with justification where the convict is guilty despite poorwork in court.

This case is different from that.

* That rare thing, a lawyer interested in justice

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

michiganFats
LNF Representative2

Reply #52 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:15pm:
Not at all.

Clive Stafford -Smith* has written extensively about this case. 

I know that those who work in the criminal justice system in any country will usually try to defend themselves when errors are made, often with justification where the convict is guilty despite poorwork in court.

This case is different from that.

* That rare thing, a lawyer interested in justice

I have no idea who Clive is and I know your OP was lacking. The dude was tried and convicted. Deal with it UK.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #53 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
michiganFats wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
I have no idea who Clive is and I know your OP was lacking. The dude was tried and convicted. Deal with it UK.

After a particularly poor investigation and a shoddy trial.

Since then, yes, the justice department have demonstrated their priorities which are about reputation protection not justice.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #54 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:28pm:
After a particularly poor investigation and a shoddy trial.

Since then, yes, the justice department have demonstrated their priorities which are about reputation protection not justice.

Fats will care about that the day he's personally on the receiving end of this particular sort of miscarriage of justice.

Let's hope that someday he'll get an education.

Non sequitur:

Do You Eat Carrots wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #55 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
Fats will care about that the day he's personally on the receiving end of this particular sort of miscarriage of justice.

Let's hope that someday he'll get an education.

Let's hope not, at least not by learning via a 30-stretch.

I for one could not contemplate 30 years of LNF without him.

A decade without Stu, yeah.

Can we set Stu up on a murder charge? Is he black?

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #56 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/11/video-captures-a-near-death-shooting-of-a-...

So here is a case of a guy shoots cop 3x point blank. So he gets 35 years which means he will serve about 10.

The officer lived, so not a death penalty case. If he dies it would most likely be.

The data strongly shows that chances are when this person is released, he will commit another crime. Most likely murder based on recidivism stats in the is

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #57 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:47am:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/11/video-captures-a-near-death-shooting-of-a-...

So here is a case of a guy shoots cop 3x point blank. So he gets 35 years which means he will serve about 10.

The officer lived, so not a death penalty case. If he dies it would most likely be.

The data strongly shows that chances are when this person is released, he will commit another crime. Most likely murder based on recidivism stats in the is

When a cop shoots an innocent person that called the police he gets... nothing!

Wait, paid leave! Wow, that's horrible! Roll Eyes

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF Party Leader

Reply #58 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:47am:

the vast majority of released murders do not commit another murder.

"Mullane said she was able to determine that 988 convicted murderers were released from prisons in California over a 20 year period. Out of those 988, she said 1 percent were arrested for new crimes, and 10 percent were arrested for violating parole. She found none of the 988 were rearrested for murder, and none went back to prison over the 20 year period she examined.

"That's the lowest recidivism rate. That's unheard of," Mullane said. "In 20 years, the chance of you being returned on another murder was zero."
"There's a huge disconnect in our sentencing laws," Mullane continued. "There's a higher recidivism rate among non-violent offenders.""*

"Here’s another surprising fact: The most violent prisoners are actually the least likely to end up back in jail. And they’re very unlikely to commit the same crime again (see figure 2).
One percent of released killers ever murder a second time, while over 70 percent of robbers and burglars commit the same crimes over and over. According to criminologist Robert Weisberg of Stanford Law School, robbers and burglars tend to be career criminals for two reasons: First, their offenses are likely to be crimes of skill, not crimes of passion. And second, their jail and prison sentences are shorter, so they are younger, healthier, and more able to commit subsequent crimes upon their release. People convicted of murder, on the other hand, are often elderly and in poor health by the time they have complete their sentences."**

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/once-a-criminal-always-a-criminal/

** https://www.themarshallproject.org/2014/12/04/the-misleading-math-of-recidivism#...

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #59 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
USyeah wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 2:38pm:
the vast majority of released murders do not commit another murder.

"Mullane said she was able to determine that 988 convicted murderers were released from prisons in California over a 20 year period. Out of those 988, she said 1 percent were arrested for new crimes, and 10 percent were arrested for violating parole. She found none of the 988 were rearrested for murder, and none went back to prison over the 20 year period she examined.

"That's the lowest recidivism rate. That's unheard of," Mullane said. "In 20 years, the chance of you being returned on another murder was zero."
"There's a huge disconnect in our sentencing laws," Mullane continued. "There's a higher recidivism rate among non-violent offenders.""*

"Here’s another surprising fact: The most violent prisoners are actually the least likely to end up back in jail. And they’re very unlikely to commit the same crime again (see figure 2).
One percent of released killers ever murder a second time, while over 70 percent of robbers and burglars commit the same crimes over and over. According to criminologist Robert Weisberg of Stanford Law School, robbers and burglars tend to be career criminals for two reasons: First, their offenses are likely to be crimes of skill, not crimes of passion. And second, their jail and prison sentences are shorter, so they are younger, healthier, and more able to commit subsequent crimes upon their release. People convicted of murder, on the other hand, are often elderly and in poor health by the time they have complete their sentences."**

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/once-a-criminal-always-a-criminal/

** https://www.themarshallproject.org/2014/12/04/the-misleading-math-of-recidivism#...

You're up against decades of entrenched prejudice.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › For the capital punishment fans

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog