Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What is Heaven Really Like?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is Heaven Really Like? (Read 878 times)
Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer1

I Love Liberty News Forum!

What is Heaven Really Like?
Aug 18th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
What are some of the nitty gritty details about "life" in heaven? For example, Mr Smith dies and goes to heaven, leaving his wife behind. Is he free to fall in love with someone else? Or does he not exist as an actual person? If he does fall in love, what happens when his loving wife dies and shows up in heaven?

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: What is Heaven Really Like?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 1:24pm:
What are some of the nitty gritty details about "life" in heaven? For example, Mr Smith dies and goes to heaven, leaving his wife behind. Is he free to fall in love with someone else? Or does he not exist as an actual person? If he does fall in love, what happens when his loving wife dies and shows up in heaven?

Well, no one really knows what happens.  The Bible doesn't really give a lot of info but I think what it DOES give can best be summarized as follows:

It's like nothing you can imagine while still treading this terrestrial ball.  Relationships you have on earth will be better (and different in ways we cannot imagine) there than they are here.  Heaven exists outside of the constraints of time.  It is impossible to wrap a human brain around that, but what it means is there is no time, just an eternal now. 

This is based on several years of "research" into various theological subjects, by virtue of which I am entitled to refer to myself as a "bonehead theologian."  As additional evidence of my bona fides to that title I offer this:

Several years ago I got interested in the Doctrines of Grace, summarized by the acrostic TULIP.  I set about accumulating many books, pamphlets, and internet downloads, including, but not limited to: The Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church; The Book of Discipline of the Methodist Church; Systematic Theology by James P. Boyce; Here I Stand: The Life of Martin Luther; and a host of other things.  I had a blast doing it, too. 

Once I was finished, I decided to whomp up a 13 week class I called "The Reformation and the Doctrines of Grace" to teach on Sunday nights at my church.  I did it twice.  This was in a Protestant denomination where the Doctrines of Grace (a shorthand description would be Calvinism) were very prominent at its founding but have, over the years, become much more Arminian in outlook.  It was at the close of the first of those two 13 week sessions that I received what I consider to be high praise from one of my "students."

He was a fellow about 55 years old, became a Christian as an adult.  Was not raised in a Christian environment.  He came up to me at the close of the 13 weeks and said, basically, "You know, I don't agree with about 99% of what you have said these past 13 weeks, but I have spent more time reading my Bible as a result of this class than I think I ever have before."

After the second time, I decided not to do it anymore.  I decided I might be doing more harm than good.  I also came to the conclusion that MOST church attenders are not really interested in going deeper into theology.  They mostly just want to feel good about going and get out so they can beat the crowd to their favorite Sunday lunch place.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Ultimately, at the end of time Heaven will be here on Earth, where God will establish His throne forever. Quote:
3And there shall be no curse any more: and the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be therein: and his servants shall serve him; 4and they shall see his face; and his name'shall be on their foreheads. 5And there shall be night no more; and they need no light of lamp, neither light of sun; for the Lord God shall give them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 11:09am
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 9:18am:
Ultimately, at the end of time Heaven will be here on Earth, where God will establish His throne forever.

Just speculating every now and then, for me it would be a place where one could eat all the fried catfish one wanted and never get sick of it or run up his cholesterol or get gobby fat, and would have a Wendy's frosty that never went dry and one never got tired of that, either.  That'd be a good start.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
And having no servants would be good too.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:33pm:
And having no servants would be good too.

Yes. But one can accomplish that right now.  Just fire 'em.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:52pm:
Yes. But one can accomplish that right now.  Just fire 'em.

Shh.

I don't want to be on the dole.

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer1

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
So the only real thing I got out of this was no one seems to take heaven seriously other than as something they're told to believe in. If they did think about it (the point I think Elmer was getting at) they'd start to doubt it.

I do think this is a good subject to discuss though. Other questions that come to mind...

What's our starting age when we get to heaven? Like if I die when I'm 95 years old and can barely get around, is that my age in heaven? That's suck.

Do we still keep our negative attributes, like not being handsome? If I get to be handsome, can I eventually strike up a relationship with Scarlett Johanson someday when she dies?

These are the details I think people should want to know.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
So the only real thing I got out of this was no one seems to take heaven seriously other than as something they're told to believe in. If they did think about it (the point I think Elmer was getting at) they'd start to doubt it.

I do think this is a good subject to discuss though. Other questions that come to mind...

What's our starting age when we get to heaven? Like if I die when I'm 95 years old and can barely get around, is that my age in heaven? That's suck.

Do we still keep our negative attributes, like not being handsome? If I get to be handsome, can I eventually strike up a relationship with Scarlett Johanson someday when she dies?

I am not sure you're really wanting a serious discussion, but giving the benefit of doubt I will say "age" is not a concept that exists in heaven. It exists outside of the constraints of time.  You don't have a starting "age" because you don't have an age.  You are timeless.  There is only the eternal now, no yesterday, no tomorrow.  Relationships are not like those on this side of the topsoil, within the constraints of time.  They're better in ways that are unimaginable to those of us who are still here. 

Mark Twain has written some pretty funny short stories on this very subject.  I don't recommend them for serious study, mind you, but they are very funny.  Just as is his Diary of Adam.  Again not for serious study, but really, really funny.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:21pm:

Do we still keep our negative attributes, like not being handsome? If I get to be handsome
, can I eventually strike up a relationship with Scarlett Johanson someday when she dies?

There's a queue already Buster  Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What is Heaven Really Like?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules