Normal Topic The Exit (Read 156 times)
Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

The Exit
Aug 31st, 2017 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
A great movie regarding suicide by Living Waters Ministry.  I am going to see if  this can be viewed at our church.  A great message of hope.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer1

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: The Exit
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Serious question Seawolf: I've always heard that way way back, when the idea of heaven became popular with Christians or maybe it was Jews, i.e. OT times, so many committed suicide that someone had to change the bible to make suicide against god's wishes. And it was the priests who did it because, well you can't have a flock if they all commit suicide.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 12:56pm:
Serious question Seawolf: I've always heard that way way back, when the idea of heaven became popular with Christians or maybe it was Jews, i.e. OT times, so many committed suicide that someone had to change the bible to make suicide against god's wishes. And it was the priests who did it because, well you can't have a flock if they all commit suicide.

You didn't ask me, but I have never heard or read anything even remotely approaching that. And I ain't no spring chicken.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:02pm:
You didn't ask me, but I have never heard or read anything even remotely approaching that. And I ain't no spring chicken.

It makes sense though.

Non sequitur:

Rodney Your Teas Ready wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:35pm:
It makes sense though.

Sort of.  Here's a theological poser for you:

IF it's true that there is an "age of accountability" (I don't believe it, myself) before which all people dying go to heaven and

IF once one goes beyond that "age of accountability" one is destined for Hell when one dies UNLESS one accepts the salvation offered by Jesus Christ and

IF, as it says in the Book, those who are saved are less than half (always described as a "remnant" you know, which to me at least means less than half), then

WHAT is the only way for a parent to ensure his children go to heaven?

To kill them before they reach the "age of accountability" is the obvious answer.  And believe it or not, that does happen.  Not frequently, but it does happen.  And God has nothing to do with it.  Just as He has nothing to do with many things done in "His Name."

I do not believe there is any such thing as an "age of accountability," though.  It was invented by theologians when the doctrine of election was transmogrified (another word for Jasmine) by those same theologians.  The Doctrines of Grace, represented by the acrostic TULIP (or my preferred version TULEP) is a real neuron fryer, though.  It is not recommended for contemplation by the unsaved (including those who think they're saved).  Most of the saved have real issues with it, even.  And even most of the truly saved really aren't interested in deeper theology, anyway. 

Here is a link to a book for those who would like to stimulate some neurons:

https://www.amazon.com/Tulip-Points-Calvinism-Light-Scripture/dp/0801063930

You can probably find it on Abebooks.com for even less than this.  It is a very easy book to read and is, in fact, the book I used as the primary textbook for that course I worked up and taught at my church for two thirteen week cycles, the one I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere.  It is especially challenging for anyone who thinks he had anything to do with his own salvation.

Even those who find Christianity to be utter foolishness would probably find this book interesting, if for no other reason than it gives some insight into the two predominant schools of thought: Arminianism and Calvinism.  And every Christian denomination is somewhere on the spectrum from total Freewill
(what I would call Arminianism on steroids) on the one extreme to Hyper Calvinism on the other extreme.  Like all extreme positions on any issue, neither of those is anywhere close to being the truth.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle.   Plus it's not a hard book to read.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 11:30am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 2nd, 2017 at 10:23am:
Sort of.  Here's a theological poser for you:

IF it's true that there is an "age of accountability" (I don't believe it, myself) before which all people dying go to heaven and

IF once one goes beyond that "age of accountability" one is destined for Hell when one dies UNLESS one accepts the salvation offered by Jesus Christ and

IF, as it says in the Book, those who are saved are less than half (always described as a "remnant" you know, which to me at least means less than half), then

WHAT is the only way for a parent to ensure his children go to heaven?

To kill them before they reach the "age of accountability" is the obvious answer.  And believe it or not, that does happen.  Not frequently, but it does happen.  And God has nothing to do with it.  Just as He has nothing to do with many things done in "His Name."

I do not believe there is any such thing as an "age of accountability," though.  It was invented by theologians when the doctrine of election was transmogrified (another word for Jasmine) by those same theologians.  The Doctrines of Grace, represented by the acrostic TULIP (or my preferred version TULEP) is a real neuron fryer, though.  It is not recommended for contemplation by the unsaved (including those who think they're saved).  Most of the saved have real issues with it, even.  And even most of the truly saved really aren't interested in deeper theology, anyway. 

Here is a link to a book for those who would like to stimulate some neurons:

https://www.amazon.com/Tulip-Points-Calvinism-Light-Scripture/dp/0801063930

You can probably find it on Abebooks.com for even less than this.  It is a very easy book to read and is, in fact, the book I used as the primary textbook for that course I worked up and taught at my church for two thirteen week cycles, the one I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere.  It is especially challenging for anyone who thinks he had anything to do with his own salvation.

Even those who find Christianity to be utter foolishness would probably find this book interesting, if for no other reason than it gives some insight into the two predominant schools of thought: Arminianism and Calvinism.  And every Christian denomination is somewhere on the spectrum from total Freewill
(what I would call Arminianism on steroids) on the one extreme to Hyper Calvinism on the other extreme.  Like all extreme positions on any issue, neither of those is anywhere close to being the truth.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle.   Plus it's not a hard book to read. 

If there isn't such age then it means that fetuses and children dead before being baptized ( in the old days that meant most of them, infant mortality was staggering) go straight to hell and don't collect $200.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 2nd, 2017 at 11:30am:
If there isn't such age then it means that fetuses and children dead before being baptized ( in the old days that meant most of them, infant mortality was staggering) go straight to hell and don't collect $200.

Nope.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 2nd, 2017 at 2:15pm:
Nope.

Wrong.

Non sequitur:

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 2nd, 2017 at 5:20pm:
Wrong.